AMD 64 X2 5000+ and 64 Bit OS

Harold A Climer

I am not an expert on computer architecture by any means. I have
installed a new hard drive or graphics card several times.
What the difference between the 64 on my AMD 64 X2 5000+ CPU in my
HP computer and XP64 or Vista64( If there is such a thing). How do I
tell if I have a 32 bit OS or a 64Bit OS?
Harold A Climer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
Room 309 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403
(e-mail address removed)

Bob Fry

"HC" == Harold A Climer <Harold> writes:

HC> I am not an expert on computer architecture by any means. I
HC> have installed a new hard drive or graphics card several
HC> times. What the difference between the 64 on my AMD 64 X2
HC> 5000+ CPU in my HP computer and XP64 or Vista64( If there is
HC> such a thing). How do I tell if I have a 32 bit OS or a 64Bit
HC> OS?

The 64 on your AMD 64 means the cpu (and the motherboard) use 64-bit
memory addressing. In other words, the hardware uses 64-bit
addressing.

XP64 and Vista64 (yes, they exist) means those OSs can take advantage
of the 64-bit hardware. Which means they can run 64-bit applications,
of which there aren't too many still.

To tell if you have 32- or 64-bit OS:

In XP:
Start->Control Panel->System and a window will pop up. Look at what
it says under "System:". If it has 64 anywhere there it's 64 bit, if
not, 32 bit.
Vista: Don't know, but it might be similar.

You can use a 32-bit OS on 64 bit hardware.

Is there any advantage to having 64 bit hardware? I would say the
main advantage is being ready to use a 64 bit OS and applications when
they become more commonly available. Are there disadvantages? Yes.
Device drivers must be rewritten for 64 bit hardware and you may have
difficulties finding them, especially for XP64. I have XP64 and XP
Pro in a dual boot setup; and I gave up using XP64 because of the lack
of drivers. But I'm waiting my "free" "upgrade" to Vista 64 ($12 and
serious doubts Vista is anybody's upgrade).

Mark Pryor

I am not an expert on computer architecture by any means. I have
installed a new hard drive or graphics card several times.
What the difference between the 64 on my AMD 64 X2 5000+ CPU in my
HP computer and XP64 or Vista64( If there is such a thing). How do I
tell if I have a 32 bit OS or a 64Bit OS?
Harold A Climer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
Room 309 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403
(e-mail address removed)

Harold,

Open Source Linux is 10 years or more ahead of Windows in 64 bit OS
development. The Windows 64 bit driver model is archaic and awkward.

The Linux 64 bit desktop OS is already here (for at least 4 years) and is
mature and easy to use.

I use open SuSE 10.2 x86_64 on
abit kn8 Pro SLI
Opteron 175 (Denmark) x2 2.2 Ghz
the above chip is similar to an Athlon64 x2 4400+

All the major Apps are 64 bit, including firefox and various multimedia.
When needed, 32 bit versions are easily available and can co-exist with 64
bit versions.

http://www.opensuse.org

Vitually any Linux distro you encounter has a version for x86_64 and will
leave any version of Windows in the dust.

Benjamin Gawert

* Mark Pryor:
The Windows 64 bit driver model is archaic and awkward.

In exactly what way is the Windows64 driver model (which driver model
btw?) "archaic and awkward"?
The Linux 64 bit desktop OS is already here (for at least 4 years) and is
mature and easy to use.

I use open SuSE 10.2 x86_64 on
abit kn8 Pro SLI
Opteron 175 (Denmark) x2 2.2 Ghz
the above chip is similar to an Athlon64 x2 4400+

All the major Apps are 64 bit, including firefox and various multimedia.
When needed, 32 bit versions are easily available and can co-exist with 64
bit versions.

http://www.opensuse.org

Vitually any Linux distro you encounter has a version for x86_64 and will
leave any version of Windows in the dust.

But only if you keep your eyes closed and say "Linux is better than
Windows" at least a hundred times, because in real life 64bit Windows is
mature and stable, too (especially the server versions). And when
talking about awkward just think about the lack of real standards and
standardization in Linux.

BTW: usually the way is to first choose the application and after that
the OS. The best OS is just plain useless if the application you need
does not run on it. Period.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* Harold A Climer:
I am not an expert on computer architecture by any means. I have
installed a new hard drive or graphics card several times.
What the difference between the 64 on my AMD 64 X2 5000+ CPU in my
HP computer and XP64 or Vista64( If there is such a thing).

It's easy. The AMD Athlon64 (the CPU you refer as "AMD64") is a 64bit
processor, Windowsxp x64 and Vista x64 are operating systems. Hardware
and software. Apples and oranges.
How do I
tell if I have a 32 bit OS or a 64Bit OS?

Look at the system properties, if it says "x64" its 64bit, otherwise 32bit.

Benjamin

know code

Benjamin said:
And when
talking about awkward just think about the lack of real standards and
standardization in Linux.

I hope you're not trying to imply that M$ products follow standards
better than linux does? Unless of course you are talking about M$
'standards'.....

Carlo Razzeto

know code said:
I hope you're not trying to imply that M$ products follow standards better
than linux does? Unless of course you are talking about M$
'standards'.....

In this case exactly what other standards are there to follow other than
propriatary ones? The conventions followed by linux kernal programmers are
ones that are propriatary to Linux, or in other words are what make Linux
it's own distinct kernal... I've only done a bit of Linux kernal hacking and
zero Windows driver development. All I can say is it seems to me User Mode
Drivers (in concept) are years ahead of anything you'll find in Linux
ATM....

Carlo

Carlo Razzeto

Mark Pryor said:
Open Source Linux is 10 years or more ahead of Windows in 64 bit OS
development. The Windows 64 bit driver model is archaic and awkward.

On what specific benchmark is this based? I too am curious in what way the
Windows Drive model can be described as "archaic and awkward". Particularly
when you put Windows Vista into the picture... User Mode Drivers are a good
thing that Linus and co. should pay attention to...

Carlo

Hertz_Donut

Mark Pryor said:
Harold,

Open Source Linux is 10 years or more ahead of Windows in 64 bit OS
development. The Windows 64 bit driver model is archaic and awkward.

The Linux 64 bit desktop OS is already here (for at least 4 years) and is
mature and easy to use.

I use open SuSE 10.2 x86_64 on
abit kn8 Pro SLI
Opteron 175 (Denmark) x2 2.2 Ghz
the above chip is similar to an Athlon64 x2 4400+

All the major Apps are 64 bit, including firefox and various multimedia.
When needed, 32 bit versions are easily available and can co-exist with 64
bit versions.

http://www.opensuse.org

Vitually any Linux distro you encounter has a version for x86_64 and will
leave any version of Windows in the dust.

This is complete baloney!

While I will agree that some variants of Linux are very stable, even the
best Linux OS is not that much more advanced than Vista.

It is always bothersome to see Linux zealots making such grandiose
statements; it really does destroy the credibility of the Linux community.

Honu

Wes Newell

While I will agree that some variants of Linux are very stable, even the
best Linux OS is not that much more advanced than Vista.

You're right, Vista has advanced DRM features in it that will lug down
your use. And Vista is much more advanced when it comes to getting into
your wallet. I wonder why even the MS technology people are warning about
Vista use. Something to consider if you plan on using it.

Hertz_Donut

Wes Newell said:
You're right, Vista has advanced DRM features in it that will lug down
your use.

I have 5 computers in my home; 3 desktops and 2 laptops. The three desktops
run Vista Ultimate. One laptop runs Vista Ultimate, the other Vista
Business. I have yet to have the performance of any of these machines
affected by DRM 4 of the computers were uprgraded from XP; they all run
faster and more efficiently with Vista.

And Vista is much more advanced when it comes to getting into
your wallet.

I recieved 4 of the Vista disks that I am using for free; one was for being
an official beta tester; one was from a MS program where you had to watch 3
Webcasts; one was given as a reward for completing training and quizes on a
website, one was given as a gratis for attending a MS Rollout seminar, and
one was won as part of a prize package.

Only one cost me anything, and it was an upgraded for one of the laotps, and
I only had to pay S/H.

So, for 5 seperate licenses and discs, I paid about $12. Not bad, and nor
expensive.

I wonder why even the MS technology people are warning about
Vista use. Something to consider if you plan on using it.
The warnings are for those who have older equipment and/or software that are
not compatible with Vista. Chances are the smae hardware would not be
compatible with Linux, and the software would also not likely have a linux
counterpart.

Honu

beoweolf

Wes Newell said:
You're right, Vista has advanced DRM features in it that will lug down
your use. And Vista is much more advanced when it comes to getting into
your wallet. I wonder why even the MS technology people are warning about
Vista use. Something to consider if you plan on using it.

The people these 'warning' are addressed to are the same people that were
'warned' about XP as well as Win2K ... at some point you are going to have
to stop using that 486 or pentium II and buy a new system. As long as people
insist on clinging to old hardward and the free applications that were
bundled with either system or Win95b or Win98; then yes, byu all means do
not attempt to install Vista on those machines, you will be disappointed if
you try to run Vista on a 33/66/100 bus m/b. The same as you would if you
try to run any modern, fully functional OS, Browser or Mail reader.

Just as a 500 mb IDE harddrive is too small and too slow... the same is true
in Operating systems. Much of the value in web sites and downloads now
require SSL/TLS, encryption, authorization, security protocols, integrity
checking etc. If your sole concern is accessing Usenet, or bare bones
computing - then by all means be comfortable in your cocoon wrapped in
Unix/Linux or Mac. PCs and Vista in general are made for users that actually
want to communicate and take advantage of Unity/Unification of services,
without having to roll-your-own.

How many times does the same truth have to be drummed into these asinine
arguments - most users do not want to learn how to program, just so they can
access their mail, shop on line, play games or download media, transfer
media from one format to another.

Funny, how PC users generally, are accepting of Mac and "nix users - live
and let live. Yet, every time a reasonable disccus begins, one or more of
these Luddites has some negative comment to drone on and on about, like that
really is going to make anyone convert to an unwieldy geek oriented
platform?

In simple Chavanistic terms - it's a classic case of Blonds vs. Brunetts or
better yet drama queen vs. help mate.

dave

Benjamin Gawert said:
* Harold A Climer:

It's easy. The AMD Athlon64 (the CPU you refer as "AMD64") is a 64bit
processor, Windowsxp x64 and Vista x64 are operating systems. Hardware
and software. Apples and oranges.

Look at the system properties, if it says "x64" its 64bit, otherwise 32bit.

Benjamin

If you are comfortable with using a debugger, run debugger with a program.
Then examine the registers. If you see 16 general registers or 16 xmm registers,
then you are running in 64-bit mode. If you see only 8 of either set, then you
are running in 32-bit mode.