Alt-E doesn't display the Edit submenu any more!

Pete Rooney

Good afternoon, all,

Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.

Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!

Thanks in advance

Pete

Pete Rooney

Don,

Excel 2003 SP3

Sorry, why would I use F2? - I did Alt-E then F2, just in case, but it
didn't work! :)

Just puzzled Alt-E worked yesterday, but it doesn't today...

Cheers

Pete

Don Guillett said:
Version?
Have you tried using the f2 key

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
Pete Rooney said:
Good afternoon, all,

Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.

Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!

Thanks in advance

Pete

Don Guillett

Exactly what are you trying to do?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Pete Rooney said:
Good afternoon, all,

Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it
just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.

Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!

Thanks in advance

Pete

Jim Cone

That can happen when there is more than one menu item with the
same accelerator key. Have you added something to the menu bar?
Repeat the Alt + E keystrokes and see what gets highlighted.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Pete Rooney"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

ShaneDevenshire

Expanding on Jim's comment - I you or someone has added a new menu item to
the Worksheet Menu Bar and it has the shortcut key Alt+E then there is a
problem. Simplest way around this is to change the shortcut for the new
command - choose View, Toolbar, Customize. Then right click the menu command
and in the Name property on the shortcut menu put the & sign in front of a
letter other than E (in front of a letter not being used by one of the other
menu items.

Pete Rooney

Shane, Jim,

No new menu items were added onto the menu bar.

When I do Alt-E, it just highlights the "Edit" command and i have to press
[Enter] to see the "Edit" sub commands.

Doesn't sound like much of a problem, but when you're keyboard bound like me
for adding & deleting rows, columns and cell, having to add an extra [Enter]
in the mioddle is a real bind!

The only other thing that happened in our world between it working and not
was a change to group policies affecting the running of macros - not sure if
that rings a bell with anyone..?

Oh, and by the way, it's not specific to any one worksheet - it does it as
soon as Excel opens.

Thanks for your help

Pete

ShaneDevenshire said:
Expanding on Jim's comment - I you or someone has added a new menu item to
the Worksheet Menu Bar and it has the shortcut key Alt+E then there is a
problem. Simplest way around this is to change the shortcut for the new
command - choose View, Toolbar, Customize. Then right click the menu command
and in the Name property on the shortcut menu put the & sign in front of a
letter other than E (in front of a letter not being used by one of the other
menu items.
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Dave Peterson

Hit alt-e to see the Edit option depressed.
Hit alt-e again and edit won't be depressed.

You can look at all the toolbars to see if there's another icon depressed or hit
enter to see if it opens up a dropdown/menu/dialog....

(I'll bet dollar to doughnuts you've got two icons with the same accelerator
key.)

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Pete Rooney

Dave (and all),

Nope, I'm afraid I haven't added any additional menu commands. It's just the
standard Worksheet menu.
I'm stumped.
Pete

:

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Dave Peterson

So when you hit alt-e and then enter, what happened?

If you hit alt-e twice, then enter, what happened?

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Dave Peterson

The next thing I'd try is to turn off all the visible toolbars and add them back
one at a time.

Tools|Customize
(keep track of all the ones that are checked)
Uncheck all of them except worksheet menu bar
Then try the alt-e combination.

If it doesn't work, look for problem on that worksheet menu bar.

If it works ok, add a toolbar and try it again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Pete Rooney

Dave,

You did it!

Of all the stupid things, I had a "Replace" tool on the Standard toolbar
whose accelerator key was..?

Thanks a million.

Pete

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Dave Peterson

I'm gonna guess it was &e!

Glad you found it.

wrote in message
Good afternoon, all,
Until yesterday, Alt-E displayed the "Edit" submenu in Excel. Now, it just
highlights the "Edit" menu command in the menu bar and I have to press
[Enter] to siaply the Edit submenu.
Could anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be? All the other
commands (File, View, Insert etc) work fine!
Thanks in advance
Pete

Pete Rooney

Dave,

I didn't give it Alt-E - that's what it had already, but yes - you're right.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, mate!

Pete

Dave Peterson said:
I'm gonna guess it was &e!

Glad you found it.