All pages under Home page open in a new window

Hi everybody,
I built my web site by adding pages in navigation view, so that the navigation structure was created by FrontPage 2002. (The site has eleven pages total, with ten sub-pages on the same level directly below the Home page.) Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of asking FrontPage to transfer the navigation buttons from the left shared border to the right side. That is, in a single operation, to close the shared left border on all pages, which contained the navigation Link Bar, and open a new right shared border with navigation on all pages. Well... what happened was, FrontPage successfully completed the operation, but because I am using positioning code on many of my pages, lots of elements immediately got scrambled... And so, rather than reposition everything on every page, I decided to simply revert to having the navigation back on the left side again. Sounded simple enough. (Uh... No... I, uh, hadn't backed up the files first.)

But when I switched back, the Link Bar buttons did not automatically reappear in the left border. I first had to manually reset the Link Bar Properties, which had somehow been lost (settings are: 'Child pages under home', plus 'Additional Pages: Home page') in order to get the Link Bar buttons visible again. Now here's the problem: Although everything again LOOKS normal, when I open any of the sub pages in a browser by using the Link Bar buttons on the Home page, they now open in a new window, instead of simply replacing the content in the Home page window. Once this second window is open, I can navigate normally using its Link Bar to anywhere else - including 'back' to the Home page (although the original Home page still remains open separately in it's own window.) It's as if the Home page has somehow gotten separated, or taken on different properties from the rest of the nav structure.

I've poured over the code, page properties, and other settings on all pages, and tried numerous backtracks and re-dos, but so far have been unable to cure the problem, or even find anything unusual or irregular that would account for this behavior. Does anybody have an idea what might be happening, and even better, how to fix it?

Thanks!

Steve M

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Can you give us the URL where we can see this happen? That way its easier
to figure out the issue.

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgTQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: All pages under Home page open in a new window
| Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:36:06 -0800
|
| Hi everybody,
I built my web site by adding pages in navigation view, so that the
navigation structure was created by FrontPage 2002. (The site has eleven
pages total, with ten sub-pages on the same level directly below the Home
page.) Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of asking FrontPage
to transfer the navigation buttons from the left shared border to the right
side. That is, in a single operation, to close the shared left border on
all pages, which contained the navigation Link Bar, and open a new right
shared border with navigation on all pages. Well... what happened was,
FrontPage successfully completed the operation, but because I am using
positioning code on many of my pages, lots of elements immediately got
scrambled... And so, rather than reposition everything on every page, I
decided to simply revert to having the navigation back on the left side
again. Sounded simple enough. (Uh... No... I, uh, hadn't backed up the
files first.)

But when I switched back, the Link Bar buttons did not automatically
reappear in the left border. I first had to manually reset the Link Bar
Properties, which had somehow been lost (settings are: 'Child pages under
home', plus 'Additional Pages: Home page') in order to get the Link Bar
buttons visible again. Now here's the problem: Although everything again
LOOKS normal, when I open any of the sub pages in a browser by using the
Link Bar buttons on the Home page, they now open in a new window, instead
of simply replacing the content in the Home page window. Once this second
window is open, I can navigate normally using its Link Bar to anywhere else
- including 'back' to the Home page (although the original Home page still
remains open separately in it's own window.) It's as if the Home page has
somehow gotten separated, or taken on different properties from the rest of
the nav structure.

I've poured over the code, page properties, and other settings on all
pages, and tried numerous backtracks and re-dos, but so far have been
unable to cure the problem, or even find anything unusual or irregular that
would account for this behavior. Does anybody have an idea what might be
happening, and even better, how to fix it?

Thanks!

Steve M

Stefan B Rusynko

Check your home page for a <base ref=...> tag in the HEAD section and delete it

--

Yes Vijay, Thanks. The URL is: http://neonegypt.com

-------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgTQ==?=" <[email protected]
| Subject: All pages under Home page open in a new windo
| Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:36:06 -080
|
| Hi everybody
I built my web site by adding pages in navigation view, so that the
navigation structure was created by FrontPage 2002. (The site has eleven
pages total, with ten sub-pages on the same level directly below the Home
page.) Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of asking FrontPage
to transfer the navigation buttons from the left shared border to the right
side. That is, in a single operation, to close the shared left border on
all pages, which contained the navigation Link Bar, and open a new right
shared border with navigation on all pages. Well... what happened was,
FrontPage successfully completed the operation, but because I am using
positioning code on many of my pages, lots of elements immediately got
scrambled... And so, rather than reposition everything on every page, I
decided to simply revert to having the navigation back on the left side
again. Sounded simple enough. (Uh... No... I, uh, hadn't backed up the
files first.

But when I switched back, the Link Bar buttons did not automatically
reappear in the left border. I first had to manually reset the Link Bar
Properties, which had somehow been lost (settings are: 'Child pages under
home', plus 'Additional Pages: Home page') in order to get the Link Bar
buttons visible again. Now here's the problem: Although everything again
LOOKS normal, when I open any of the sub pages in a browser by using the
Link Bar buttons on the Home page, they now open in a new window, instead
of simply replacing the content in the Home page window. Once this second
window is open, I can navigate normally using its Link Bar to anywhere else
- including 'back' to the Home page (although the original Home page still
remains open separately in it's own window.) It's as if the Home page has
somehow gotten separated, or taken on different properties from the rest of
the nav structure

I've poured over the code, page properties, and other settings on all
pages, and tried numerous backtracks and re-dos, but so far have been
unable to cure the problem, or even find anything unusual or irregular that
would account for this behavior. Does anybody have an idea what might be
happening, and even better, how to fix it

Thanks

Steve

Stefan B Rusynko

See my earlier post below - delete <base target="main">

PS remove all spaces from all file and folder names - illegal html, breaks links

--

| Yes Vijay, Thanks. The URL is: http://neonegypt.com
|
| ----- Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT] wrote: -----
|
| Hi Steve,
|
| Can you give us the URL where we can see this happen? That way its easier
| to figure out the issue.
|
| Regards,
| Vijay
|
| Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
| no rights
|
| --------------------
| | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgTQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: All pages under Home page open in a new window
| | Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:36:06 -0800
| |
| | Hi everybody,
| I built my web site by adding pages in navigation view, so that the
| navigation structure was created by FrontPage 2002. (The site has eleven
| pages total, with ten sub-pages on the same level directly below the Home
| page.) Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of asking FrontPage
| to transfer the navigation buttons from the left shared border to the right
| side. That is, in a single operation, to close the shared left border on
| all pages, which contained the navigation Link Bar, and open a new right
| shared border with navigation on all pages. Well... what happened was,
| FrontPage successfully completed the operation, but because I am using
| positioning code on many of my pages, lots of elements immediately got
| scrambled... And so, rather than reposition everything on every page, I
| decided to simply revert to having the navigation back on the left side
| again. Sounded simple enough. (Uh... No... I, uh, hadn't backed up the
| files first.)
|
| But when I switched back, the Link Bar buttons did not automatically
| reappear in the left border. I first had to manually reset the Link Bar
| Properties, which had somehow been lost (settings are: 'Child pages under
| home', plus 'Additional Pages: Home page') in order to get the Link Bar
| buttons visible again. Now here's the problem: Although everything again
| LOOKS normal, when I open any of the sub pages in a browser by using the
| Link Bar buttons on the Home page, they now open in a new window, instead
| of simply replacing the content in the Home page window. Once this second
| window is open, I can navigate normally using its Link Bar to anywhere else
| - including 'back' to the Home page (although the original Home page still
| remains open separately in it's own window.) It's as if the Home page has
| somehow gotten separated, or taken on different properties from the rest of
| the nav structure.
|
| I've poured over the code, page properties, and other settings on all
| pages, and tried numerous backtracks and re-dos, but so far have been
| unable to cure the problem, or even find anything unusual or irregular that
| would account for this behavior. Does anybody have an idea what might be
| happening, and even better, how to fix it?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Steve M

| |

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi,

As SBR said you could just delete <base target="main"> from the code view.

Else Go to the homepage properties, You will find the "Default Target
Frame" set to main, click on that edit button and remove the "main" word
there.

----- Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT] wrote: -----

> [...]

window is open, I can navigate normally using its Link Bar to anywhere
else
- including 'back' to the Home page (although the original Home page
still
remains open separately in it's own window.) It's as if the Home page
has
somehow gotten separated, or taken on different properties from the
rest of
the nav structure.

I've poured over the code, page properties, and other settings on all
pages, and tried numerous backtracks and re-dos, but so far have been
unable to cure the problem, or even find anything unusual or irregular
that
would account for this behavior. Does anybody have an idea what might
be
happening, and even better, how to fix it?

Thanks guys! That did the trick. Getting rid of the <base target="main"> tag cured the problem
For some reason that setting was absolutely invisible to me - maybe because I'm not using frames, and it's greyed out in the page properties dialog box, so I think I mentally "wrote it off", thinking it was just the default. Thank you both for the help

Also thanks Stephan for the tip on the file names. Frontpage is a remarkable product, but its all new to me, and I've still got lots to learn

Steve M