All desktop icons start Outlook Express?

TomEJode

Hello,
When I click on any of my desktop icons Outlook Express starts. Yikes!!! I
can start programs ok by going to the start, all programs buttons. Also
there are icons saying they are a copy of my other icons. this is WIN XP
SP2. The windows updates are current.

Any help would be appreciated.

James Silverton

TomEJode wrote on Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:37:56 -0500:

T> Hello,
T> When I click on any of my desktop icons Outlook Express
T> starts. Yikes!!! I can start programs ok by going to the
T> start, all programs buttons. Also there are icons saying
T> they are a copy of my other icons. this is WIN XP SP2. The
T> windows updates are current.

T> Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what you've got but why not right click on the
icons and examine their properties to see what's going on? You
should be able to delete and make new shortcuts if you are
desperate.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Claymore

TomEJode wrote on Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:37:56 -0500:

T> Hello,
T> When I click on any of my desktop icons Outlook Express
T> starts. Yikes!!! I can start programs ok by going to the
T> start, all programs buttons. Also there are icons saying
T> they are a copy of my other icons. this is WIN XP SP2. The
T> windows updates are current.

T> Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what you've got but why not right click on the
icons and examine their properties to see what's going on? You
should be able to delete and make new shortcuts if you are
desperate.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

If these are all shortcuts to other programs or files, try this:

http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Scroll down to LNK (shortcut) File Association Fix, download and run
the script.

Elmo

TomEJode said:
Hello,
When I click on any of my desktop icons Outlook Express starts. Yikes!!! I
can start programs ok by going to the start, all programs buttons. Also
there are icons saying they are a copy of my other icons. this is WIN XP
SP2. The windows updates are current.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please try this:

Fix File Associations for .lnk files.