AIW 8500DV PAL Nicam channels produce static sound

grolschie

Hi there,

Nicam TV channels produce constant crackling
static sound even with good roof aerial (yet
reception is not as good as my actual TV set
running on the same aerial). Video is reasonably
fine and clear. No static through the soundcard on
non-nicam channels. So it's not the soundcard
causing this. I have turned down the line-in
input, to rule out distortion from overdriven
soundcard. Switching to mono does not fix this.
The TV tuner is unusable on Nican channels because
of this.

I tried diffferent TV tuner software (eg PowerVCR
II 3.0) and it's the same. So I guess I have a
problem with the ATI WDM Capture driver or the
physical Radeon 8500DV?

OS: Win98SE
Cats: 4.7
WDM: 6-14-10-6240, have tried an earlier version
MMC: 8.8.0.0, but have tried earlier versions

Cannot install 8.9.0.0 because of InstallShield
error 0x8002000B "Unhandled Exception:".

ATI tech support show that they don't properly
read the support requests, their stupid
suggestions proof it.

Is there a way to imrove reception on these
things? Mods? Shielding of some sort?

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
grolschie

grolschie

grolschie said:
[...]

Just wondering, would PSU affect this? Currently
been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
/grol

Paul Murphy

grolschie said:
[...]

My Universal PAL/SECAM format 8500DV seems to handle NICAM sound without
noticeable static here in the UK (it's PAL I here not PAL B/G as in New
Zealand but that shouldn't make a difference). My operating system is Win
XP Pro, I use an internal audio connection between the 8500DV and my
soundcards AUX connector (with an old style CD Audio cable) and I use an
aerial amplifier. It might be worth checking your audio cable (or trying an
internal cable if you're currently using the external supplied cable on the
purple lead).

My suggestion would be to try the Catalyst 5.2 drivers for Win ME (these
should install OK on Win 98 SE) and then MMC 8.9 (with all its
prerequisites). You'll need to totally uninstall your existing MMC first
using add/remove programs then reboot and uninstall the remaining ATI
drivers and software in add/remove programs. When you do this (as well as
for any installs) you should turn off all utilities and background
applications for example antivirus software. Programs running in the
background are a common cause of software failing to install. The other TV
Tuner software should also be uninstalled before attempting to install MMC.
You'll also need to make sure the prerequisites are correctly installed
(including, but not limited to: DirectX 9.0C, the drivers and DAO/MDAC)
rebooting after each install.

You may want to have a look here:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33753208 where its
reported that MMC 9.0 has been successfully installed on a Windows 98SE
machine. How long has it been since the machine had a fresh install from
scratch on a newly formatted HDD and has this audio problem always been
present?

Paul

Paul Murphy

grolschie said:
Just wondering, would PSU affect this? Currently
been running a 300w psu, but can try a 450w.
/grol
The 8500DV isn't very power hungry by today's standards. A quality 300 Watt
PSU is plenty for many systems (particularly older hardware) - what are the
rest of your system specs?

Paul

grolschie

"Paul Murphy" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
The 8500DV isn't very power hungry by today's standards. A quality 300 Watt
PSU is plenty for many systems (particularly older hardware) - what are the
rest of your system specs?

Paul

Thanks Paul. My specs:
XP2400+
512MB DDR
SB Live 5.1 DE
Win98SE

grol

wrote in message
[...]

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing MMC 9.06.1, but the installer
exits without any message. Perhaps it detects 98SE
and quits? Is there another version on MMC 9.0, I
couldn't find one.

My system was clean installed barely a week ago.
The first ATI driver install screwed my Windows
install, requiring a reinstall over-itself. I have
only had the 8500DV less than a week.

Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7 fixed
these. I never tried them with my 8500DV because
of this.

I will try the internal cable option. Probably
better than line-in?
grol

Paul Murphy

grolschie said:
"Paul Murphy" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

Thanks Paul. My specs:
XP2400+
512MB DDR
SB Live 5.1 DE
Win98SE

grol
Given these specs, the fact the system had worked fine with another card
(Radeon 9000 - as mentioned in your other post)) and the nature of the
fault, I'd say the PSU is managing to cope ok and won't be the cause. This
link to a power calculator:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD
also confirms 300 watts should be plenty.

As long as the existing psu is a decent brand outputting stable power, there
should be no need for the 450 watt unit.

Paul

Paul Murphy

grolschie said:
failing to install. The other TV
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33753208
where its

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing MMC 9.06.1, but the installer
exits without any message. Perhaps it detects 98SE
and quits? Is there another version on MMC 9.0, I
couldn't find one.
The version I referred to was 9.0 and its available under the previous mmc
versions for win2k on ATIs website. Look at the left hand menu for Previous
Drivers and Software. The bottom link takes you to a page with Software
versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia Center 9.03 and MMC 9.0.0 is
about half way down it.
My system was clean installed barely a week ago.
Great!

The first ATI driver install screwed my Windows
install, requiring a reinstall over-itself.

Not so great. If you've reinstalled the OS while MMC (or ATI drivers) were
on the system, this could be causing problems and I'd recommend a fresh
install on a newly formatted HDD, with the software/driver versions I
previously referred to. I have Cat 5.2's working fine with my (other) Win
98SE machine with a Radeon All in wonder 32 MB "classic" installed (I even
think it has MMC 9.0 on it too). It would be wise to only get to the MMC
installation & testing stage and wait until this is confirmed as working
fine before installing additional software.

I have
only had the 8500DV less than a week.

I'm feeling nosey - what does it cost for one of those over there in NZ.
When I left 5 years ago to live in the UK, ATI were almost unheard of.
Previously with my old Radeon 9000 I had many
BSODs with the Cat 5.2's, reverting to 4.7 fixed
these. I never tried them with my 8500DV because
of this.

Don't let that put you off 5.2. I'd say it was likely some other issue
causing your problem and not the driver itself. I note from the Radeon
8500DV Product info page on ATIs website, that the 8500DV isn't officially
supported under Win 98SE and Win2k and above are the officially supported
OSs. I've never tried running my 8500DV in my 98SE machine but my hunch is
it should work fine although there may be issues with the firewire side of
things if you want to use that. Perhaps someone who has this combination
could comment?
I will try the internal cable option. Probably
better than line-in?

I have 3 All In Wonder equipped machines and all have internal audio
cables - much more professional than external. Newer high end AIWs under
newer OS's with the latest drivers don't need the cable at all as ATI has
swapped over to transferring the audio via the PCI bus. If the problem you
have is only apparent with certain Nicam encoded programs, its unlikely this
would be the cause as cables aren't selective. The main thing would be to
make sure that purple breakout box is carefully but fully and squarely
plugged into the connector on the back of the card. I've read that the
connector can be a weak point with the 8500DV so they need carefull handling
to avoid bent or broken pins.

wrote in message
The version I referred to was 9.0 and its
available under the previous mmc
versions for win2k on ATIs website. Look at the left hand menu for Previous
Drivers and Software. The bottom link takes you to a page with Software
versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia Center 9.03 and MMC 9.0.0 is
about half way down it.

Sweet. Will grab it and try it. Thanks. What WDM
version do I need for that?
ago.

Not so great. If you've reinstalled the OS while MMC (or ATI drivers) were
on the system, this could be causing problems and I'd recommend a fresh
install on a newly formatted HDD, with the software/driver versions I
previously referred to. I have Cat 5.2's working fine with my (other) Win
98SE machine with a Radeon All in wonder 32 MB "classic" installed (I even
think it has MMC 9.0 on it too). It would be wise to only get to the MMC
installation & testing stage and wait until this is confirmed as working
fine before installing additional software.

Ok, so the install order is: OS, Cats, WDM, DAO,
WindowsMediaEncoder, MMC?
I have

I'm feeling nosey - what does it cost for one of those over there in NZ.
When I left 5 years ago to live in the UK, ATI
were almost unheard of.

When new, they were like NZ$700, which is I guess
about 350 euros. I got mine brand new old stock
for a clean $120, which is just a little more than
a new tv tuner card here. It was a minor upgrade
for my non-pro 9000, plus the video capture, tv
and firewire. I was pretty stoked.
Don't let that put you off 5.2. I'd say it was likely some other issue
causing your problem and not the driver itself. I note from the Radeon
8500DV Product info page on ATIs website, that the 8500DV isn't officially
supported under Win 98SE and Win2k and above are the officially supported
OSs. I've never tried running my 8500DV in my 98SE machine but my hunch is
it should work fine although there may be issues with the firewire side of
things if you want to use that. Perhaps someone who has this combination
could comment?

Ok, will give the 5.2s another go. Firewire works
great on my PCI firewire card on 98SE. However, I
have to swap sockets every time, else it freezes
when I plug in the DV camera. Unfreezed when I
unplug and put in another socket. Just as well
I've got 2 firewires on the 8500DV, I should be
able to free a PCI slot now.

I have 3 All In Wonder equipped machines and all have internal audio
cables - much more professional than external. Newer high end AIWs under
newer OS's with the latest drivers don't need the cable at all as ATI has
swapped over to transferring the audio via the PCI bus. If the problem you
have is only apparent with certain Nicam encoded programs, its unlikely this
would be the cause as cables aren't selective. The main thing would be to
make sure that purple breakout box is carefully but fully and squarely
plugged into the connector on the back of the card. I've read that the
connector can be a weak point with the 8500DV so they need carefull handling
to avoid bent or broken pins.

Yeah, it's a bit wobbly. I wonder how long it will
hold for. I wonder why it has a green plug that
goes into the line-out? I mean, the tv goes
through the soundcard anyways on the line-in. I
noticed on one set of MMC that sound came out (but
at different volume) when muting the line-in, but
on 8.8.0.0 it doesn't.

Thanks for your replies Paul. God bless ya!
grol.

Paul Murphy

wrote in message

available under the previous mmc

Sweet. Will grab it and try it. Thanks. What WDM
version do I need for that?

6.14.10.6240 is the newest WDM version listed on ATIs website and goes with
Catalyst 5.2 drivers for Windows ME/98 (make sure you don't get the win2k or
XP version by mistake).
Ok, so the install order is: OS, Cats, WDM, DAO,
WindowsMediaEncoder, MMC?

Nearly, OS, Motherboard chipset drivers, DirectX 9.0C, hardware drivers
other than for motherboard chipset eg sound and graphics (WDMs before
Catalyst 5.2), Windows Media Encoder, DAO/MDAC, MMC. Make sure you reboot
after each install except between the WDMs and Cat 5.2 - reboot after Cat
5.2. Make sure no other software is loaded before you've got MMC up and
running/tested OK that way if there's a problem and you have to do it again,
its less time wasted.

ess than a week.
were almost unheard of.

When new, they were like NZ$700, which is I guess
about 350 euros. I got mine brand new old stock
for a clean $120, which is just a little more than
a new tv tuner card here. It was a minor upgrade
for my non-pro 9000, plus the video capture, tv
and firewire. I was pretty stoked.

There must have been a big glut of them - I got mine as a refurbished card
from an eBay store for about £18 + £15 or so for a new purple cable from a
seperate eBay store. I use my MMC CD and remote wonder from another AIW
Radeon (ATI mistakenly sent me a second CD and both were free). I agree that
NZ$ 120 is good going for a new one - presumably Hercules brand?
Ok, will give the 5.2s another go. Firewire works
great on my PCI firewire card on 98SE. However, I
have to swap sockets every time, else it freezes
when I plug in the DV camera. Unfreezed when I
unplug and put in another socket. Just as well
I've got 2 firewires on the 8500DV, I should be
able to free a PCI slot now.

I've not used my cards firewire ports but they're enabled in case I need
them (there are a couple of tiny slide switches on the card which turn the
ports on or off), also a floppy drive power connector which supplies
additional power for firewire devices.<snip>

wrote in message
There must have been a big glut of them - I got mine as a refurbished card
from an eBay store for about £18 + £15 or so for a new purple cable from a
seperate eBay store. I use my MMC CD and remote wonder from another AIW
Radeon (ATI mistakenly sent me a second CD and both were free). I agree that
NZ$ 120 is good going for a new one - presumably
Hercules brand?

Made by ATI. :)
I've not used my cards firewire ports but they're enabled in case I need
them (there are a couple of tiny slide switches on the card which turn the
ports on or off), also a floppy drive power connector which supplies
additional power for firewire devices.

I never noticed the floppy drive power connector.
I think I'll put my card out and take a closer
look at it. I didn't receive any manuals with the
card. The card was brand new in a sealed
anti-static bag - no box.

grol

Paul Murphy

I never noticed the floppy drive power connector.
I think I'll put my card out and take a closer
look at it. I didn't receive any manuals with the
card. The card was brand new in a sealed
anti-static bag - no box.
There are manuals galore and even knowledgebase articles related to the
firewire port switches and floppy drive style power connector at ATIs
website - all you could need. The default settings are for both firewire
ports switched on and a floppy style power supply connection isn't necessary
unless your specific firewire devices draw their power supply directly from
the firewire ports.

Paul

Top