Ahh... Need help really bad

Reaction score
Hey this is my first thread and I was wondering weather any of you guys could tell me what the crap is wrong with my PC. Its specs are
Windows XP Professional w Service Pack 2
an ASUS motherboard (cant remember model number)
3400 + AMD 64 bit processor
1 GB Gail daul channel RAM
Shaphire 6800GT
200 GB WD SATA hard disk (system)
80 GB WD hard disk
SONY DVD burner
LG CD burner

Now my problem is that my computer keeps freezing at random times. I thought that it may be a RAM problem, so I went and brought new RAM. But no joy. :( Now I really have no idea whats is the problem. Can you guys help?

Reaction score
Hey mate, you have to be systematic with problems like this. Best way is to disconnect everything which isnt needed to boot the system up, i.e. cd drives etc. See if you still get problems. If you do then it must be cpu/memory/hard drive or whatever, and you have narrowed it down. If it doesn't crash reconnect the other devices one at a time until you have discovered which one is the problem.

Alternatively, have you re-installed windows xp?

Or, it could be an over heating problem, you could try running it with the lid off the case.

Bodhi.

Reaction score
Hi William,

You can get all kinds of info about your PC using Everest Home. It will even give you the model of your MB. Here is where you can download the lastest version (I usually download the self-installing EXE file, less of a hassle installing): http://www.lavalys.hu/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Everest Home will also give you a way to check some of your PC temps, and you can also run a Report that will give you a list of your PC specs so you can post those on forums like these (you may need to clean some of the extra crap out of the report when it's done).

- dc

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Make sure you have ALL the latest drivers ... including MS update site.

Try starting in 'safe mode' and running it for an hour or so, I know you can't do much in safe mode, but if it does not 'freeze' then it is a driver problem.

:thumb:

Ask a Question