Again, System Restore won't run after restoring last, how to get b

G

I made a system state backup then installed a new browser, Opera, (hoping for more security) and McAfee 8. I later uninstalled the browser but that didn't remove all it's settings. So I restored the system state backup I had made. McAfee wouldn't re-install. Now IE won't run ActiveX even in a trusted site, Windows Update won't work, Search is missing pieces, Help won't run at all. rstrui.exe won't run directly (blank box) so I can't get to the dialog to restore to immediately before my last restore.
Surely there is a way to get back to the previous version of the registry. In 9x it was simply replacing two numbered hidden system files. How about XP?

M

madmax

Trapper said:
I made a system state backup then installed a new browser, Opera, (hoping for more security) and McAfee 8. I later uninstalled the browser but that didn't remove all it's settings. So I restored the system state backup I had made. McAfee wouldn't re-install. Now IE won't run ActiveX even in a trusted site, Windows Update won't work, Search is missing pieces, Help won't run at all. rstrui.exe won't run directly (blank box) so I can't get to the dialog to restore to immediately before my last restore.
Surely there is a way to get back to the previous version of the registry. In 9x it was simply replacing two numbered hidden system files. How about XP?

Did you try the solutions from MS?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322756#4B
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

G

Max,
rstrui.exe IS the MS file that the Help screen calls when you select Restore.... It brings up a blank window instead of the calendar control. Please pass this request up to someone who knows the underside of XP not just the menus.

Ask a Question