Ady's New Dual Quad CPU Build

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, nice to see you started then ... :thumb:

As Ady first stated, what he has there is one bestie of a 'server' that can easily be used for other things and not just crunchin ... I do see why he wants this 'feck-off' system for crunchin though. 32Gb Ram should help. :D

Now, if we can get him to try out a 25 hard drive Array, that would be cool. Shame we can't find a PCI-X 1066Mhz bus version, that would fly. :nod:

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ahh right, i did wonder since you said they were ES's

how much heat do these thigs chuck out then ? i thought they'd be reasonably cool since they are server chips

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
They put out similar heat to the Q6600 or QX6700 Kentsfields - effectively they are 2 dual core chips stuck together but with only one IHS.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The Build Continues....

OK, HS/Fans are on and mobo is in the case:

1181998022.jpg

Here is the full case, note the bank of 4 case fans to the right of the mobo:

1181998217.jpg

The green circuit board behind the case fans are for the HD 'hot-swop' connections - all the power and sata leads go into this, and the drives just slot in and out the front.

Bios temps so far after 2 hours running @3GHz is CPU1: 34C and CPU2: 30C :thumb:

Tomorrow sees the install of Windows server 2003 Enterprise edition.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Is that 4Gb Ram ?

Not enough pictures ... more, more. :D

* I suppose the PCI graphic card will do *

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm liking the server pics Ady, the motherboard and case really look the part.

It's so worth using RDP with Win2k3, I promise you'll love it once you've tried it :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Is that 4Gb Ram ?

Not enough pictures ... more, more. :D

* I suppose the PCI graphic card will do *

I do a few more later - have to go out ;)

Yep - 4GB of Crucial DDR2 PC5300 Fully Buffered Ram :thumb:

Just using an old PCI graphics card as thats all it needs really - no gaming will be done, so as long as I can see whats displayed on the monitor clearly thats fine - more power left for the CPU's.

Ian - I will give RDP a go :D

Reaction score
Re:

Now that motherboard is definitly a collectors item.After reading the specs I see you've got yourself some proven technology there.This reminds me of the days of the dual socket eight motherboards.I have one of these in my collection along with a piece of original 64K memory and many other.So someday in the far future when you decide you don't need this board anymore make sure you tape this inside of the case"NOTE: KVM-over-LAN not supported - there is no DVO signal to the IPMI slot"that way collectors like myself won't be beboggled when we go to restore and add to our collections.
I don't know if this item is available to the public but I would top this honey up with a 200 disk rewrite dual ROM disk changer.The one I've got was fabricated by me.However some companies did take an interest.I started with a Sony disk carraige and went from there.This is a great way to store data that is not recoverable and I don't have to sort through disks.

Ask a Question