Adult site URL's still haunting my browser...HELP!

Cliff Freeling

Browser is IE version 6.0.2600.000.xpclient..etc.

The URL's are still appearing in my URL box uninvited.
There may be an easy solution, I just don't know myself.
I've cleared my history, deleted all temp internet files,
and even deleted all cookies out of desperation or ignorance.

These sleazy bastards have this thing acting somewhat like
a virus I guess. They appeared to have vanished after doing
the above, but like a phantom, they're back. The browser
works okay, I just can't go to a Website by typing in a URL.
When I type in a URL, the phantom sleazebag URL appears and
attaches itself to the beginning of the URL I typed. Then,
I get the message that the page can't be displayed.

And sometimes, a dialup program is activated, which starts
this frentic process of it trying to dial a number, which I'm
sure would result in a huge toll charged to my number if I were
to let it go through. These bastards oughta be put in jail.
Any helpful advice appreciated.

(BTW, I did a google NG search before posting, and read the advice
for similar problems which involves finding hosts.txt and changing
the name (I did a search and found three <I think> files named
hosts, but can't get any info on any filename extensions, so I don't
know which one is *.txt); finding and deleting the IE search assistance
program (couldn't find one); and changing the AutoSearch search page
back to the default (did this, not effective).)

Jon Kennedy

Usually they're placed there by spyware/malware that's gotten installed on your system. Use Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy to remove it.

Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot: http://security.kolla.de/
(Good site on how to install and use Spybot - http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/)

More information here:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ - runs a little script when loading page to check for common parasites

If no joy, in IE go to Tools...Internet Options...Advanced tab, Browsing section, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions", click Apply, click Okay, reboot. If that solves your problem, then more troubleshooting is needed to find out exactly which program, or Browser Helper Object (BHO) is causing this problem. You don't want to leave it at that, as some BHOs are useful or necessary - like Adobe Acrobat for reading .pdf files or an essential component of Norton AV. Get BHO Cop: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,2023,00.asp - read all about BHOs, download link is on the right, under Contents. Then uncheck all items, and then gradually replace one or two at a time to narrow down the culprit.

Cliff Freeling

(e-mail address removed) (Cliff Freeling) wrote in message
<snip>

Spybot S & D did the trick, I think! I've had to educate
myself some today on this. ANd thanks a bunch guys for
the input...I was pretty much clueless before I posted here.

Also, I plan to send a donation to the guy who allowed the
free download.