Windows XP Adprep successful, but DCpromo fails

Reaction score
I currently have 2 Windows 2000 Servers (SP4 on all current DC's) and I just purchased a new server which I installed 2003 x64 R2 on. During the process of running DCpromo I get the adprep error that you get when your current domain hasn't been prepped with the adprep tool.

After fixing a role problem that was preventing adprep from running I ran both "adprep /forrestprep - adprep /domainprep" on the global catalog server and both reported success. After I let replication occur I tried to make the new 2003 server a DC and still get the same message, "the version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer."

Here are the logs from adprep that I ran a second time on the Global Catalog:

Forest-wide information has already been updated.
[Status/Consequence]
Adprep did not attempt to rerun the operation

Domainwide information has already been updated.
[Status/Consequence]

After checking my dcdiag I found that everything passed including my FsmoCheck.

I don't know what else to check; is their a way to manually check each server and ensure that they are all prepped?

PS, I did find an error in dcdiag when I used the /q tag
There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I did figure it out a day after posting this message. I thought I posted the resolution but I guess I didn't.

From first message:
Forest-wide information has already been updated.
[Status/Consequence]

Domainwide information has already been updated.
[Status/Consequence]

Adprep ran just fine as posted above, the problem I was having was that it was still saying that my schema wasn't updated on dcpromo even thought the adprep /domain /forest ran without a problem.

The solution was to install Server 2003 x64 not 2003 x64 R2, I guess R2 wouldn't work with my current environment for some reason and only worked with the non R2 version.

Thanks again for your reply.

Reaction score
Not sure if you're aware, but there is a seperate adprep utility for R2. It will update the AD schema to version 31. On disk 2 of the server 2003 R2, you will find a folder called cmpnents. In there R2, then adprep. If D: is your cdrom, then d:\CMPNENTS\R2\ADPREP. run adprep /forestprep from there and it will update the schema to R2. Then you can add a server 2003 R2 server to AD. Hope that helps.

Pete

Ask a Question