ADPrep: problems adding a 2003DC to a W2K AD

Chris R.

One for the maestros....

The setup: Got a Win2000-SP4 AD forest\tree w/one DC in
the root domain and one DC in the child domain. Also,
Exchange 2003 is installed on a member server which is a
member of the root domain.

Before I do anything I run netdiag and dcdiag on both DCs,
and that look good.

What I want to do is add a second DC to one of the
domains... so, in preparation for a Win2003E DC in one of
the domains, I run the ADPrep util. on the Schema master
DC as the Schema / Enterprise / Domain Administrator. The
ADPrep utility got about 2/3 of the way thru updating the
schema before it finished with an error message. Below are
the error messages (found in three log files) that the
ADPrep utility suggested I have a look at, just following
the attemted schema expansion. (The log-files have been
edited to show only the errors.)

Bottom line is... I cannot add a Win2003E DC into an
existing W2K AD domain.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
__________________________________

ldif.err.17 (<- file one)

Entry DN: CN=MSMQ-Custom-
Recipient,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=tvg,DC=com
Add error on line 160: Busy
The server side error is "A database error has occurred."
An error has occurred in the program

schupgrade.log (<- file two)

Opened Connection to DENENGDC1
SSPI Bind succeeded
Found Naming Context DC=tvg,DC=com
Found Naming Context
CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=tvg,DC=com
Found Naming Context CN=Configuration,DC=tvg,DC=com
Current Schema Version is 16
Upgrading schema to version 30
ERROR: Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role: 52
(Unavailable).

If the error code is "Insufficient Rights", make sure you
are logged in as a member of the schema admin group.

ADPrep.log (<- file three)

Adprep was unable to upgrade the schema on the schema
master.
[Status/Consequence]
The schema will not be restored to its original state.
[User Action]
Check the Ldif.err log file in the C:\WINNT\system32
\debug\adprep\logs\20031202163825 directory for detailed
information.

Adprep set the value of registry key
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema
Update Allowed to 1

Adprep was unable to update forest-wide information.
[Status/Consequence]
Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information
from the schema master in order to complete this operation.
[User Action]
Check the log file, Adprep.log, in the C:\WINNT\system32
\debug\adprep\logs\20031202163825 directory for more
information.

David Pharr [MSFT]

Check to see if you're running into this particular issue:

314649 Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command Causes Mangled
Attributes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314649

Also, walk through the steps in the following article to make sure you
haven't missed any steps:
325379 How to Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)