Adobe Air beta?

Jo-Anne

I use Secunia PSI on my WinXP computer to let me know when my programs need
to be updated because they're no longer secure. Recently, it indicated that
Adobe Air needed to be updated. I checked Filehippo and saw that the update
is a beta. Is it safe to install a beta update of a program of this sort?
Generally, I wait until programs are no longer in beta release.

Also, is Adobe Air even needed for someone who isn't a programmer? I didn't
download it deliberately; I suspect it was attached to Flash. When I tried
to remove it a while back, I couldn't. If someone has an easy way to get rid
of it (assuming I don't need it), I'd love to know about it.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Iceman

I use Secunia PSI on my WinXP computer to let me know when my programs need
to be updated because they're no longer secure. Recently, it indicated that
Adobe Air needed to be updated. I checked Filehippo and saw that the update
is a beta. Is it safe to install a beta update of a program of this sort?
Generally, I wait until programs are no longer in beta release.

You only have to wait a few months for the final release of Air 2.7. It
will be released in "Q2, 2011" according to their website.
Also, is Adobe Air even needed for someone who isn't a programmer? I didn't
download it deliberately; I suspect it was attached to Flash. When I tried
to remove it a while back, I couldn't. If someone has an easy way to get rid
of it (assuming I don't need it), I'd love to know about it.

If you want to completely blow away an Air app you need to go into the
´/Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS¡, find your application
based on the id and then blow it away. On Windows it's ´C:\Documents and
Settings\\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS¡ (ELS stands for Encrypted Local
Store).

Jo-Anne

Iceman said:
You only have to wait a few months for the final release of Air 2.7. It
will be released in "Q2, 2011" according to their website.

If you want to completely blow away an Air app you need to go into the
´/Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR/ELS¡, find your application
based on the id and then blow it away. On Windows it's ´C:\Documents and
Settings\\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS¡ (ELS stands for Encrypted Local
Store).

Thank you, Iceman! Maybe I'll let it go for now. Do you have any opinion
about installing beta releases of programs?

Jo-Anne

Iceman

In this group Jo-Anne wrote in message
Thank you, Iceman! Maybe I'll let it go for now. Do you have any
opinion about installing beta releases of programs?

I generally stay away from betas, unless they are programs I use heavily (my
current Web browser is a beta version, for instance). But as you implied in
your first post you are not a programmer or a developer, so you probably
don't really need Adobe Air.

Don Phillipson

Also, is Adobe Air even needed for someone who isn't a programmer? I
didn't download it deliberately; I suspect it was attached to Flash. When
I tried to remove it a while back, I couldn't. If someone has an easy way
to get rid of it (assuming I don't need it), I'd love to know about it.

Adobe Air seems to be a speedup routine required by some
apps, e.g. digitized ebook of the National Geographic Magazine.
That is how I got it (updated OK since then by standard
update options) and it seems to run invisiblly and OK.

Jo-Anne

Iceman said:
In this group Jo-Anne wrote in message

I generally stay away from betas, unless they are programs I use heavily
(my current Web browser is a beta version, for instance). But as you
implied in your first post you are not a programmer or a developer, so you
probably don't really need Adobe Air.

Thank you again, Iceman!

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Don Phillipson said:
Adobe Air seems to be a speedup routine required by some
apps, e.g. digitized ebook of the National Geographic Magazine.
That is how I got it (updated OK since then by standard
update options) and it seems to run invisiblly and OK.
Thank you, Don! I guess I'll keep it, then.

Jo-Anne