Adobe Acrobat and IE

My daughter has been filling out college applications recently and a few of
them require her to print out supplemental forms, which are opened in
Internet Explorer thru Adobe Acrobat. We have Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5, so we have
no idea why there should be any problems, but when she clicks on the links to
open the forms, a new window opens where the forms should but, but the new
window is blank and shortly afterwards, it stops responding and we are forced
to close it using the task manager. This has happened on two different
college applications and we have no idea what to do. Please help us.

RWS

My daughter has been filling out college applications recently and a few of
them require her to print out supplemental forms, which are opened in
Internet Explorer thru Adobe Acrobat. We have Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5, so we have
no idea why there should be any problems, but when she clicks on the links to
open the forms, a new window opens where the forms should but, but the new
window is blank and shortly afterwards, it stops responding and we are forced
to close it using the task manager. This has happened on two different
college applications and we have no idea what to do. Please help us.

What Operating System with what Service Pack?
What version of Internet Explorer?
What type of connection to the Internet?
Are you using a router?
What Firewall program?
What Anti Virus program?
What Anti Spyware program(s)?
Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling AAR 7.0.5?

Sid Knee

RWS said:
[...]

I don't know if it's critical, butjust to note that the OP states
Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader (AAR).

Chuck Davis

Sid Knee said:
I don't know if it's critical, butjust to note that the OP states Acrobat,
not Acrobat Reader (AAR).

Further note. 1. Adobe Reader (formerly known as Adobe Acrobat Reader). 2.
Adobe Acrobat

RWS

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
Sid Knee said:
I don't know if it's critical, butjust to note that the OP states Acrobat,
not Acrobat Reader (AAR).

Further note. 1. Adobe Reader (formerly known as Adobe Acrobat Reader). 2.
Adobe Acrobat
Well, we shall see when the OP responds, but I suspect she is
probably referring to Adobe Reader 7.0.5. Of course, I could
be wrong about that. I figure either her AR 7.0.5 is damaged or
something is interfering with it or it is a combintion of both.

What Operating System with what Service Pack? We have IE 6.0.2900 and we have
Acrobat Reader 7.0.5, I'm not sure what you mean by service pack
What version of Internet Explorer? 6.0.2900
What type of connection to the Internet? We have a cable modem
Are you using a router? No
What Firewall program? Norton
What Anti Virus program? Norton
What Anti Spyware program(s)? Norton and Spy Sweeper
Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling AAR 7.0.5? Yes

RWS

Alrighty then.
By "Operating System", I meant to ask whether you are running say
Windows 2000 Pro or one of the versions of Windows XP or Windows 98
or whatever, or even a Microsoft OS at all.
I will assume you are running either Windows XP Home or Professional and that
you have Service Pack 2 installed and so please try restarting your computer
and tap on the F8 key as soon as it starts booting up and you should then
get the Advanced Options menu where you could try "Safe Mode With Networking"
Once logged in that way, see if your AR 7.0.5 then functions properly.
If it does, then you know that some other program that does not load in that
mode is the cause of your issue. A likely candidate is your Norton Firewall and
you would then need to check its program control area to see any relevant
settings concerning AR 7.0.5 that need to be reconfigured. But that is just
speculation on my part at this point, so let's take it one step at a time and
start the troubleshooting process by giving SMWN a try.
To get out of SMWN, you simply restart your computer and let it boot up normally.
HTH

What Operating System with what Service Pack? We have IE 6.0.2900 and we have
Acrobat Reader 7.0.5, I'm not sure what you mean by service pack
What version of Internet Explorer? 6.0.2900
What type of connection to the Internet? We have a cable modem
Are you using a router? No
What Firewall program? Norton
What Anti Virus program? Norton
What Anti Spyware program(s)? Norton and Spy Sweeper
Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling AAR 7.0.5? Yes

The problem has been solved! Once I disable Norton Anti-Virus, Acrobat runs
smoothly. Thanks for the help everyone!

RWS

I will refrain from going into a tirade about Symantec / Norton,
but suffice it to say I am not a fan.

Yupp, everything is at par. NAV was also causing my computer not to respond
when I tried to shut the computer down and it also conflicts with my iTunes,
so I have to disable it every time I want to: use Acrobat, iTunes or shut
down my computer. It's getting to be a pain.

RWS

Well, it sounds like it is time to consider an alternative Firewall / Anti Virus solution.
Unfortunately, that would mean first uninstalling those Symantec / Norton products,
which can be a nightmare in itself.
I am not a computer security expert by any means and I would encourage you to
research / decide on an alternative Security product.
I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.1.737.000 and am quite happy with
it, but I do also use additional free Anti Spyware programs.
Others may not agree with my choice and have other products that they feel are
superior to ZASS.
In case you would like to check it out:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp