Administrator Login Profile

I was setting up new profiles (accounts) on WindowsXP last night (before this
I only had one profile which was the original administrator profile) and when
I went to reboot and XP came back up I only had the new accounts I created
available for logon. My original administrator account which I have been
using with my emil etc. was no longer there (no icon displayed for it to
logon). How do I get this profile back?

SteveC

On the login screen do CTRL-ALT-DEL twice in a row. This should give you a
login box. Type Administrator for username and what ever your password was.
You should be able to get in to it.

Its best not to run as an Administrator. If I were you I'd create a new
account and move the files into the new account.

Hope that helps.
SteveC
"Getting the Administrator Logon Back" <Getting the Administrator Logon
news:[email protected]...

Bruce Chambers

Getting said:
I was setting up new profiles (accounts) on WindowsXP last night (before this
I only had one profile which was the original administrator profile) and when
I went to reboot and XP came back up I only had the new accounts I created
available for logon. My original administrator account which I have been
using with my emil etc. was no longer there (no icon displayed for it to
logon). How do I get this profile back?

As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have been
created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on the
Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
for your daily use, as you say you've done, and copy desired the files
and settings from the Administrator account to this newly created user
profile.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH