Adjust Language Band Position (programmatically)

T

Tony Skalski

Where can I find info on moving the Language Bar via the registry or other method?

We have a number of machines where the language bar (when minimized) is
partially or completely hidden by the system tray. I need to move the language
bar a little to the left so that it can be seen when there are many icons in the
sys tray. I need to make these changes to the default user profile on a number
of machines and don't want to touch them all.

Thanks!

ajs

A

Alec S.

Tony Skalski said:
Where can I find info on moving the Language Bar via the registry or other method?

We have a number of machines where the language bar (when minimized) is
partially or completely hidden by the system tray. I need to move the language
bar a little to the left so that it can be seen when there are many icons in the
sys tray. I need to make these changes to the default user profile on a number
of machines and don't want to touch them all.

If the target systems are all similar (specifically in resolution), then one option is to set up the toolbar the way you want, log
off and on (or better reboot), then export this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

and import it on the target systems.

A

Alec S.

Tony Skalski said:
Is the structure of this key documented somewhere?

Ha! Don't count on it. There's at least half a dozen different keys and files where Microsoft stores Windows related data but
won't document them. Some people have managed to hack them a bit, but MS uses these obscure, formats and labels which make it
difficult-probably on purpose. There aren't too many programs that can read/write these things. I'm reversing a few and may
document them once I'm done.

Ask a Question