Address bar problems

This is a really small thing - but quite annoying. Until yesterday, I could
type in the address bar of IE6 the website I wanted to visit, and hit enter -
and would be directed to the site. For example - type in the address box
"www.microsoft.com" and <ENTER> - and the browser would go to that site.

If I do this now, nothing happens, and I have to type "http://" preceding
the www address before I am redirected.

Can anyone tell me how to amend this back, and why it's changed?

Thanks

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Andrew ward said:
This is a really small thing - but quite annoying. Until yesterday, I
could type in the address bar of IE6 the website I wanted to visit,
and hit enter - and would be directed to the site. For example - type
in the address box "www.microsoft.com" and <ENTER> - and the browser
would go to that site.

If I do this now, nothing happens, and I have to type "http://"
preceding the www address before I am redirected.

Can anyone tell me how to amend this back, and why it's changed?

Thanks

Using Regedit, browse to the following registry key and make sure the noted
setting is correct:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]
"Append Completion"="yes"

also see the following values:

"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"

Click Start | Run and type
control inetcpl.cpl
Select Content tab, and click AutoComplete button
In the Use AutoComplete for section, put a checkmark near Web addresses
Click OK, OK to close the dialog.

Equivalent registry value for this setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete

Value named: AutoSuggest of type REG_SZ
Possible value-data: yes | no

You may have to Restart the computer.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Andrew Ward

Frank Saunders said:
Andrew ward said:
[...]

Hi - Starting from the top - I have checked the regedit -
"Use AutoComplete"="yes"
"AutoSuggest"="no"
Did not appear under
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete]

"Append Completion"="yes" did appear and was correct.

Do I have to change the regedit entry Value named: AutoSuggest of type REG_SZ

Hmm - the bad news is - done all that and made no difference!
Under the Regedit setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoComplete
There are four items:
1)Default REG_SZ (Value not set)
2)Append Completion REG_SZ yes
3)AutoSuggest REG_SZ yes
4)Use AutoComplete REG_SZ yes
Please note spacing and spelling correct as per REGEDIT.
I haven't looked anywhere else in the registry
--
Andrew Ward

Andrew ward said:
--
Andrew Ward

Frank Saunders said:
Andrew ward said:
[...]

Possible value-data: yes | no as well?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Since the other registry values appear to be OK, check this setting.... Go
to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> (check) Use Inline AutoComplete.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Andrew ward" wrote in message

Hmm - that's also checked - (check) Use Inline AutoComplete.
and I still have the same problem...
--
Andrew Ward

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Since the other registry values appear to be OK, check this setting.... Go
to Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> (check) Use Inline AutoComplete.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Andrew ward" wrote in message
Hmm - the bad news is - done all that and made no difference!
Under the Regedit setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoCom
plete
There are four items:
1)Default REG_SZ (Value not set)
2)Append Completion REG_SZ yes
3)AutoSuggest REG_SZ yes
4)Use AutoComplete REG_SZ yes
Please note spacing and spelling correct as per REGEDIT.
I haven't looked anywhere else in the registry

Viktor Krammer

Hello Andrew,

You can try to install my address bar replacement Quero and look if your
problem persits there. I am looking forward to your feedback.

Viktor
http://www.quero.at/

Robert Aldwinckle

I have to type "http://" preceding the www address before I am redirected.

That is often a sign of a search bar hijacking, either one which is
still in effect or its residue. E.g. depending on details of your
symptoms which you haven't disclosed one possible explanation
for that symptom is that the hijacker's web site has been shut down.

If you're lucky you may be able to restore the default search settings
by using the Reset Web Settings... tool in the Options, Programs tab.

BTW someone I gave this advice to didn't disclose that they were
also using a third-party toolbar and using that suggestion supposedly
fouled up its operation. YMMV. In any case be aware that third-party
programs are another known source of unusual symptoms due to various
incompatibilities they cause, especially in a newer OS which may not have
existed when those programs were first created.

Search others' posts for how to deal with more persistent hijackers,
e.g. use keyword spyware.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Hi - have tried that as well - and no difference....
I do run automatically Microsoft Spyware every night, and about once a week
adaware...

I am also having the same problem! it is driving me nuts! Have tried
everything suggested here - if I find the solution I will post it!

About a week after it went - it came back with nothing being done to the
computer - just being temperamental I guess!