Address Bar not working

Don Varnau

OK, let's see if we can fix a couple of these issues. For the window
opens-window closes issue...
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."
And, look through Control Panel> Add or remove programs for the Yahoo
toolbar. If it's there, uninstall it.
page where I am replying with this note, remains minimized.

To get new windows to open full size, try this...
Open a webpage. Stretch it out to fullsize. Don't use maximize.
Choose any link on that webpage and right-click> open in a new window.
Stretch that second window out to the desired size- don't use maximize.
Close the first IE window. Then close that second resized window.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Wally2007 said:
Hi Dan, Yes, when I have a active web page, when I select another shortcut
from my desktop, I lose the previous page. However for example if I select
Fidelity Inv. that particulare site will appear in the tool bar.
I also adusted the power options SAVED Home Office/Desktop and set
monitor,HD,and stystem standby, to NEVER.
Don Varnau said:
Hi,
You said:
My main issue is each time I opt for another web site,
I lose the previous page (the previous page momentarily
appears and opens the new page) and does not appear in IExpl tool bar.

So, you can access web pages, right? Is the problem that you can only have
one IE window open at a time?
I have also been plagued with an issue in power options.
Each time I idle, after twenty minutes or so, I am prompted for my
password.

Go to Control Panel> Power options. If this is a desktop computer, choose
the Home/Office Desk power scheme- Turn off monitor- never, turn off hard
disks- never, etc. If it's battery powered ( a notebook /laptop) choose
appropriate power options. In either case, click on the advanced tab and
uncheck "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby.

The sleep/suspend/hibernate options can be more trouble than they're worth
on desktop systems. Turn off the monitor to save electricity- shut down the
computer if you won't be using it for an hour or two (arbitrary time-
personal opinion.)

Wally2007 said:
Thank you kindly for your reply to this nagging issue. Yes, I am up
date
with critical updates, at least that was just indicated on the express check.
My main issue is each time I opt for another web site, I lose the previous
page (the previous page momentarily appears and opens the new page)
and
does
not appear in IExpl tool bar. I have also been plagued with an issue
in
power
options. Each time I idle, after twenty minutes or so, I am prompted
for
my
password. I have checked the advanced tab and have deselected both options.
Dan, I would like to further add, I have researched to my best within
MS
KB
and the DELL forums to rectify both of these issues with negative
results.
If
you may be of any help with either of these issues, it would be immensley
appreciated. THANK YOU
:
Hi,
Are you current on updates for Windows and Internet Explorer? From IE>
Tools> Windows Update.

The IE update which had problems with some HP hardware and software was
revised and re-released. That issue was resolved several months ago.

You may have several unrelated problems. What, specifically are the
Internet Explorer issues?
"Wally2007" <Wally2007[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have researched all of your remedies, however I know I have a problems
associated with the HP software. At this point in time I am totally
confused. I had the unfortunate issue with the Photosmart Software. I
purchased a new HP 3210 (early June) all-in-one printer and have had
nothing
but problems since. Due to lockups once I attempted to load the software
and
spending countless days with the techs from HP and Dell, the only
remedy they
could come up with was format, debug, the machine. Roughly a day
or
two
later I read an article PC World concerning the HP issue, which apparently
has created havoc with both XP, Mozilla and one other program. I spoke
with
what I thought was a senior tech with HP and cited the article in PC
World.
He indicated to me, that he never heard of any such conflict. CRAZY!!!!
have had nothing but continual problems with this printer, and never
expected
all these other underlying problem issues.
If you would kindly reply, I would be great to try and get to the root
of these problems. THANKS for your time
:

Hi,
If this problem appeared after updates from Microsoft were installed
(last
couple of days) see this information from Stephen Hui [MSFT]

We've determined that the majority of the issues people are
having
with
MS06-015 / KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security
update
and a software component included with various HP hardware devices,
including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras.
[snip]

Thanks Dan, Done Deal Both the Explorer and Power Options issues seem to be
functioning just fine. I did not have the Yahoo tool bar in add & remove.
Now if we can only resolve this Global Warming matter. THANKS MUCH for all
your expertise and patience.
Don Varnau said:
OK, let's see if we can fix a couple of these issues. For the window
opens-window closes issue...
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows

Wally2007 said:
Hi Dan, Yes, when I have a active web page, when I select another shortcut
from my desktop, I lose the previous page. However for example if I select
Fidelity Inv. that particulare site will appear in the tool bar.
I also adusted the power options SAVED Home Office/Desktop and set
monitor,HD,and stystem standby, to NEVER.
Don Varnau said:
Hi,
You wrote:
[...]

Thank you kindly for your reply to this nagging issue. Yes, I am up to
[...]

Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the feedback.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
OK, let's see if we can fix a couple of these issues. For the window
opens-window closes issue...
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows

You wrote:
[...]

Hi Dan,
Yes Sir, the problem with the Expl issue resolved, however I let the pc
idle for twenty mins or so and I was prompted again for my password. Would
you happen to have any additional suggestions for this matter??
Thank You

Don Varnau said:
OK, let's see if we can fix a couple of these issues. For the window
opens-window closes issue...
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows

You wrote:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Wally2007 said:
Hi Dan,
Yes Sir, the problem with the Expl issue resolved, however I let the pc
idle for twenty mins or so and I was prompted again for my password.
Would
you happen to have any additional suggestions for this matter??
Thank You

Are you connected by dialup?

Don:

I have this same problem, but can't associate it with the HP software. As
far as I can tell, this HP isn't running (per Task Mgr.). I have run the
script (from another MVP site) that modifies the Registry exactly per your
instructions to do it manually. Also, this is a new (re)installation on
Windows and KB908531 isn't on this machine. Still I cannot type into the IE6
address bar, but links or abbreviated address entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter
goes to the site. Many services that work through IE fail (some Win
updates). Very frustrating. Any other hints?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If this problem appeared after updates from Microsoft were installed (last
couple of days) see this information from Stephen Hui [MSFT]

We've determined that the majority of the issues people are having with
MS06-015 / KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security update
and a software component included with various HP hardware devices,
including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras.

Here are two fixes which should fix problems caused by the interaction with
the HP software:

------------------------------

Option 1 - Modify the registry

- (If you have multiple user accounts set up) Log onto the computer using an
account with Administrator privileges

- Click the Start button, then click Run and type "regedit" at the prompt,
without the quotes; this will start Registry Editor

- Locate the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell
Extensions\Cached key in Registry Editor

- Right click on the key and select New / DWORD Value

- Rename the resulting value "{A4DF5659-0801-4A60-9607-1C48695EFDA9}
{000214E6-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401", without the quotes

- Right click the value, select Modify, and type "1" into the Value Data
field

- Close Registry Editor

------------------------------

Option 2 - Kill the HP process

- Wait until Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, or whichever component is
encountering problems is in an unresponsive state

- Click the Start button, then select Run and type "taskmgr" at the prompt,
without the quotes; this will start Task Manager

- Locate any instances of hpgs2wnd.exe or hpgs2wnf.exe in Task Manager, then
right click on them and select End Process

(Note: Option 2 this may disable some HP device-specific functionality until
you restart your computer.)

If your computer is not currently unresponsive, you should only have to do
Option 1 or Option 2, not both. If your computer is currently unresponsive,
you should be fixed by doing Option 2.

I'm very sorry about the inconvenience this has caused you all; hopefully
this will get things back on track. Please note that MS06-015 fixes a
critical security vulnerability, so it's very important that you reinstall
it as soon as possible if you've uninstalled it. Please also keep in mind
that disabling Auto Update will leave your computer unprotected even after
we release security updates. I understand that this experience has been
very frustrating for many of you, but I really must still strongly recommend
that you leave Auto Update enabled for your own safety.

Last but not least -- if anyone encounters similar problems after attempting
both options above, please post about it here so that we can continue to
investigate.
- - - - -
For the removal option look for another discussion also named "Address Bar
Not Working" (April 14) you will be giving up the enhanced security provided
by this update.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

JoeS said:
Hi. I'm running IE 6.0 SP2 and as of this morning I can't link to any web
sites I type in the address bar.
When I start IE, my home page comes up and I can browse by clicking on the
different links, but when I type a URL in the address bar and click GO,
nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Don Varnau

Hi,
It's not likely that MS06-015 / KB908531 is causing this problem. That
episode occurred nearly a year ago.

XP assumed, but which version of Windows?
If XP- is it XP SP2?
What's the version of Internet Explorer in IE> Help> About? Example:
6.0.2800.1106

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Jim Wood said:
Don:

I have this same problem, but can't associate it with the HP software. As
far as I can tell, this HP isn't running (per Task Mgr.). I have run the
script (from another MVP site) that modifies the Registry exactly per your
instructions to do it manually. Also, this is a new (re)installation on
Windows and KB908531 isn't on this machine. Still I cannot type into the IE6
address bar, but links or abbreviated address entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter
goes to the site. Many services that work through IE fail (some Win
updates). Very frustrating. Any other hints?

[On April 14, 2006]

JoeS said:
Hi. I'm running IE 6.0 SP2 and as of this morning I can't link to any web
sites I type in the address bar.
When I start IE, my home page comes up and I can browse by clicking on the
different links, but when I type a URL in the address bar and click GO,
nothing happens.

Don,

Thanks very much for the reply; I'm impressed, given the age of this thread.
Well, although IE6 would work (sometimes!) in only the click-through mode, I
was finally able to establish a solid connection with the MS Update site. I
downloaded and installed IE7, for the second time, and this installation is
working perfectly. Lord help me if I have to drop back to IE6, but as long
as the current version continues to provide me with dependable Internet
access, I'm as happy as the proverbial clam.

I think what finally did it is this. I downloaded the Firefox browser on
another computer to a flash drive, and actually had that flash plugged into
the subject machine preparatory to loading it as a last, desperation attempt
toward a reliable connection. Well, maybe IE6 saw that flash drive sitting
there and thought, "Hmmm, I'd better get my act together or this guy is going
to abandon me." You think?

Thanks again,

Jim

"JoeS" <JoeS[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi. I'm running IE 6.0 SP2 and as of this morning I can't link to any web
sites I type in the address bar.
When I start IE, my home page comes up and I can browse by clicking on the
different links, but when I type a URL in the address bar and click GO,
nothing happens.

Lee Lord

I have the same problem. Anyone with a solution please post here. Thanks!

Don Varnau said:
[...]

I feel for you; this was a BIG problem for me, and I'm still not sure how it
finally resolved itself. It started for me when I had to replace a mother
board and power supply, then reinstall Windows XP-Pro in the "repair" mode;
that is, not a clean install, but not having to reinstall all the other
programs, etc. either. Everything was fine, including IE6 that automatically
installed from the Windows disk. But of course I wanted to upgrade to IE7,
since I had been using it before my crash.

So I downloaded the IE7 upgrade and that's when the troubles began. It
would open, but any URL typed into the address bar would cause multiple
openings of IE7 until the taksbar was overflowing. These would have to be
cleared using Task Manager, and using it faster than a new IE7 would appear.

Uninstalling IE7 to drop back to IE6 did not help... same thing. That's
when I started asking for help. But nothing definitive ever worked, so I
just kept playing with it.

The Search feature would bring up Google okay, and clicking-through on a
link would sometimes work. So I was able to get to the Windows Update site
that way and download a whole bunch of updates (remember, this was a Windows
reinstall), including IE7. This time when IE7 installed, everything worked
just fine.

Sorry, I have no idea of what fixed the problem, and at one point I was read
to install Firefox, just to see if I could get reliable Web browsing and hope
for more help.

Best of luck, and do let us know if you solve this in a scientific manner.
Things that 'fix themselves' are always a worry.