Adding a PC to a domain

Ste

We are trying to add a PC to a domain, but keep coming up with this error
message:

A domain controller for the domain %domainname% could not be contacted.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controllerfor domain
%domainname%:

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
(error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap.tcp.dc_msdcs.%domainname%

The DNSservers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding.
This computer is configured to use DNS servers wit the following IP
addresses:

???.???.???.???

Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the
correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is
running.

From the client PC we can ping the DNS server via IP address and host name.
Also, DNS and WINS are running on the server. Please help!!!!!

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

Ste,

Is this the only computer that is having a problem? Do all of the other
computers in the domain still have access to the Domain Controller? Can
they get to the Internet? When did this problem first pop up? Probably
when trying to add this computer to the domain...You stated that the
computer is set up to use the IP Address of your internal DNS Server, er,
sorta stated that. Is it indeed configured to use your internal DNS Server?
How is the computer getting its TCP/IP settings? from DHCP? Do you have
the three Options set up correctly ( Option 003, 006 and 015 )?

Have you installed the Support Tools on the Domain Controller and run dcdiag
/c /v and netdiag /v? I might also run netdiag /fix before running the
other two....

Look in your DNS MMC in the forward lookup zone. Do you have all four
subfolders ( _msdcs, _tcp, _udp and _sites )? With all of the 'content'?

HTH,

Cary

Ste

Hi Cary

The DNS on the client PC is set to that of the DC server, and that only. The
IP address for both the client and server are static. The three options
(003, 006 and 015) have been setup correctly.We have run dcdiag /c /v,
netdiag /v? and netdiag /fix and they have run just fine. I have looked in
the DNS MMC have all four subfolders, with all their content as well. Any
other ideas? Getting desperate now!!

cheers

Ste

Kevin Bowersock

I am with Cary on this one Is this the ONLY box that is having the issue?
Have you had any success in the past and it is broken now?

Also if you can ping the DNS by FQDN then your DNS must be working. If you
only pinged it by Netbios name you may have gotten an answer from wins.

Are these 2 boxes on the same subnet?

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights
--------------------
> [...]
| > expired."
| > > (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)
| > >
| > > The query was for the SRV record for _ldap.tcp.dc_msdcs.%domainname%
| > >
| > > The DNSservers used by this computer for name resolution are not
| > responding.
| > > This computer is configured to use DNS servers wit the following IP
| > > addresses:
| > >
| > > ???.???.???.???
| > >
| > > Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are
| the
| > > correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS
| servers
| > is
| > > running.
| > >

| > > From the client PC we can ping the DNS server via IP address and host
| > name.
| > > Also, DNS and WINS are running on the server. Please help!!!!!

This is the only one being added at the moment to the domain, but there will
be more. There were two Win95 PCs on the domain originally but they both
blew up and were replaced by a XP PC, but this will not add to the domain.
The PC pings both WINS and hostname and is on the subnet as the server.