Adding 2nd Server to Domain

G

Hi all,
Anyone familiar with the following:-

Have a customer with a Two W2K Server Domain. They were hit with the Blaster virus the other week and since then their two server wouldn't talk to each other properly, in that the active directory information wasn't being mirrored across the servers.

I have run symantec and Comp Associates cleaning utils and added the MS security patch, but still cannot get the servers to join happily together.

I have dcpromo'd them both and re installed AD from scratch, but after adding the first Server to the domian, the second, although when you type in the netbios name for the domain, converts it to the FQDN, it then says that it is not a valid domian controller or the domain does not exist.

Also tried to install SP4, but that error's right at the end with an IISsp4 error and I have to undo it all.

Anyone throw any light on this other than flattening the whole machine (its got EXch 5.5 on it) so dont really want to do this.

Back at customer site tomorrow so all/any help on this would be very much appreciated
TIA

Mark Griffiths

S

sk

You indicated you added the first server to the domain. I
was under the impression that the first server had the
unique SID and that others used the same SID. For
example, taking a computer home and naming it the same
name doesn't get it the same domain SID. You may have an
issue with that. Also, I know that Exchange doesn't
function right when names are changed. I seem to recall
in my exchange training that the computer name, sid etc
can't change one exchange is installed or it fails.

Ask a Question