AdAware still free?

Mark Carter

I'm a bit confused. Is AdAware free? Only on the website I keep seeing
the button "purchase", and in Download.com it says "free to try".

Craig

Mark said:
I'm a bit confused. Is AdAware free? Only on the website I keep seeing
the button "purchase", and in Download.com it says "free to try".

Mark;

I poked around lavasoftusa.com just now. Could find /nothing/ explicit
on the site nor in the forums saying that it's "free for personal use."
Now I'm a bit confused as well...

-Craig

Mark Carter

Ivan said:
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/
Ad-Aware® SE Personal Edition
FREE FOR NON COMMERCIAL USE

(Sorry for using capitals, but it's what where on the site)

I didn't actually see that page. I saw the download page where it says
"This software is downloadable free of charge.", which I take as coded
language for "not really free". One then goes to Download.com, which
says " Free to try ", which is again I take as yet more coded language
for "still not free, sucka"

But anyways, let's not argue about that. Life's too short. As long as
the issue has been cleared up, that's the main thing.

Thanks to all those concerned.

HVS

Could find nothing explicit on the site nor in the forums
saying that it's "free for personal use."

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/
Ad-Aware® SE Personal Edition
FREE FOR NON COMMERCIAL USE

(Sorry for using capitals, but it's what where on the site)[/QUOTE]

Interesting; I don't see that on offer if you go through the
lavasoft.com site rather than lavasoft.de.

Craig

Mark said:
I didn't actually see that page. I saw the download page where it says
"This software is downloadable free of charge.", which I take as coded
language for "not really free". One then goes to Download.com, which
says " Free to try ", which is again I take as yet more coded language
for "still not free, sucka"

But anyways, let's not argue about that. Life's too short. As long as
the issue has been cleared up, that's the main thing.

Thanks to all those concerned.

Mark;

I don't /think/ we're arguing. I'm interested in this since it looks as
if lavasoft is moving away from its freeware. lavasoftusa.com used to
have a fair amount of info directly related to this. Now, practically
speaking, nothing.

Makes me think of Susan's Theory of Shareware Creep (STSC)tm.

just interested,
-Craig

Mark Carter

I don't /think/ we're arguing.

We're not. It was Ivan that I was directing my comments at. And seeings
as I'm not arguing with him either ;), everything's cool.

If anyone /is/ keen on an argument, then I highly recommend discourse
with a certain faux doctor who has been frequenting this newsgroup of late.

Mark Warner

Craig said:
I'm interested in this since it looks as
if lavasoft is moving away from its freeware. lavasoftusa.com used to
have a fair amount of info directly related to this. Now, practically
speaking, nothing.

Doesn't surprise me, frankly. I can't really fault a business for
de-emphasizing its free offerings. The free personal/pay otherwise
business model has got to be tough. AVG is another one that makes it
hard to find any info about its free version.

Susan Bugher

Craig said:
Mark;

I don't /think/ we're arguing. I'm interested in this since it looks as
if lavasoft is moving away from its freeware. lavasoftusa.com used to
have a fair amount of info directly related to this. Now, practically
speaking, nothing.

Makes me think of Susan's Theory of Shareware Creep (STSC)tm.

I didn't realize the theory had acquired a name. ;)

Lavasoft sure is making it harder and harder to tell that there's a free
version. :(

re other sites. . . Apps that are Liteware and/or only "free for
personal use" are almost always somewhat inaccurately labeled on
download sites.

ISTM the download.com description is downright misleading. . . This
is the download.com page that Lavasoft links to:
http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

There's another page here:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
neither one has any mention of free for personal use. . .

Other sites do mention/feature the "free" aspect. . .
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,00.asp
Major Geeks is misleading in that the description doesn't say "free ONLY
for personal use" (Shareware for other uses).

FWIW - Lavasoft's news page says they'll be introducing a new version in
September.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/news/product/expansion.shtml

If they're going to do away with the Liteware (free for personal use)
version I suspect they'll do it then. . . or maybe they'll lop off a
few more goodies from their free version. . . STSC. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Mark said:
Craig wrote:
Doesn't surprise me, frankly. I can't really fault a business for
de-emphasizing its free offerings. The free personal/pay otherwise
business model has got to be tough. AVG is another one that makes it
hard to find any info about its free version.

not real hard. . . "AVG Free Edition" is listed on their products page:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
It's not *featured* but it is easy to find if you're looking for it.

re business models. . .

I suspect the free personal/pay otherwise model works better when the
expectations are clearly stated up front. Many companies say "free" and
fail to state "free for personal use ONLY" on their web sites and in
their blurbs on download sites. IMO if you bury a requirement to pay in
the fine print you shouldn't be surprised to find it ignored. . . IOW
bait and switch techniques often get the reward they deserve. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware