AD Design

I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 at my site. Let me say the domain name is XX.com. I have a requirement now where by another company called yy.com is joining us and want to be like a child domain to XX.com.

Is it possible for users from yy.com to authenticate using xx.com Windows active directory and use Exchange 2000 as a seperate OU. Is it possible?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mahilchi Sukar [MSFT]

Hi,
From your question I understand that you want the child domain (yy.com)
users to be authenticated by the root domain (xx.com).
This is not possible.
But if a user form xx.xom goes to the place where you have yy.com he will
be able to login to his domain i.e xx.xom from yy.com but he will be
authenticated only by xx.com DC and vice versa. And this is because of the
transitive trust relationship.
With regards
Sukar

(e-mail address removed)

| From: =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: AD Design
| Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:35:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 at my site. Let me say
the domain name is XX.com. I have a requirement now where by another
company called yy.com is joining us and want to be like a child domain to
XX.com.

| Is it possible for users from yy.com to authenticate using xx.com Windows
active directory and use Exchange 2000 as a seperate OU. Is it possible?

| Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks

My question is simple. Is a single forest with multiple domain possible? Wwhen I say multiple domain it's x.com, y.com etc. under the forest x.com.

Thanks