RDA and Proxy Server

Philip Lee

Dear all,

I wrote a program using VB.NET to connect remote SQL
server through ISA server. IIS use anonymous
authentication. Just ISA need to authenticate. Therefore,
I defined proxy user name and proxy password:

obj.InternetProxyLogin = "XXX"
obj.InternetProxyPassword = "password"
obj.InterProxyServer = "xx.xx.xx.xx:8080"
obj.InternetURL = "https://xx.com/ssce/sscesa20.dll"
(using SSL)

Normally, it should work and I think that these are enough
information for RDA. But error received in pocket pc:

"Authentication failed on the proxy server [28012]"

And after this failed synchronization, my desktop cannot
go to internet and received errors also:

"HTTP 407 Proxy Authenication Required - The ISA Server
requires authorization to fulfil the request. Access to
web proxy service is denied (12209)"

This is very strange.
1. Why cannot authenticate my pocket pc?
2. How come affect my desktop?
3. May be this is not just programming problem, any
configuration in ISA can be changed?

Please help. If you just get same problem, you can also
reply me and let me know I am not alone.

Thank you

Kevin Boske - [MS]

Hi Philip,

What authentication scheme are you using on the ISA server?
Also, you may want to try passing the DOMAIN/Login to the
InternetProxyLogin property.

I'm not sure why this is affecting your desktop. Do you have a login fail
limit on your ISA Server?

Kevin Boske
([email protected])
SQL Server CE Team
Microsoft
Everything you need to know about SQL Server CE:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ce/techinfo/default.asp
From: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Subject: RDA and Proxy Server
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:27:38 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

[...]

I find that basic authentication is set on ISA.
Every time user start IE window and navigate internet, the
ISA Server will ask username and password which is as same
as windows xp login information. If user use one IE
window, server just asked once. If user use more than one
IE window, server will asked more than once. I hope this
information can help.
However, when I user Pocket IE to go to internet, Pocket
PC will prompt to enter username and password. Why pocket
ie work but my program does not work even though I pass
the InternetProxyLogin and InternetProxyPassword?

Please ask me if you want more information. I have
gathered enough information from network administrator.

Thanks a lot.

---------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

From: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:27:38 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

[...]

.

Kevin Boske - [MS]

Hi Philip, sorry for the late reply,

There are some differences in how PocketIE calls the network APIs verses
SQL CE, but they should not affect this case.

What happens if you pass the same login/password to both the
InternetProxyLogin and InternetLogin and InternetProxyPassword and
InternetPassword properties?

From: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:27:38 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

[...]

Thanks for your reply.
I have not attempted to pass any login information to
InternetLogin and InternetPassword where our IIS is set to
anonymous authenication. Does it matter?
As only remote sites implement ISA while headquater
implements another firewall (I think it is very strange),
I cannot test on my desktop. I also cannot test at site
because I have no rights to change any configuration to
prove my ideas. Do you have such configuration in your
workplace? Could you test for me? I know this is a little
bit demanding but I have no other idea.

My setting is like that:
1. Pocket PC with a Program written by VB.NET, SQL CE
using RDA
2. Firewall using ISA with basic authentication
3. IIS with anonymous authentication
4. SQL Server using SQL authentication

Thanks again.

Regards,
Philip

From: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip Lee" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:27:38 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

[...]

We do test a number of similar scenarios. But, as you are already aware,
there are many different methods to configure such a scenario.

The error you are receiving (28012) is being returned almost directly from
wininet.dll (we map it to our own). In this case, it is stating that
either the Password or Login is invalid. I suspect you have a lockout on
the ISA server after n invalid tries and that is why your desktop is
affected.

Are you trying to connect through a direct network or wireless connection,
or through an ActiveSync connection?

From: "Philip lee" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Philip lee" <[email protected]>