ActiveX does not popup

Hi All

ActiveX does not pop up when trying to open a Sieble web application. The
ActiveX needs to be installed befor this web application can be opened. Of
course, the pop-up blocker is off and the downloads + ActiveX in Security tab
of the Internet Options are enabled.

The thing is that we have only one user who is able to open the web
application and this is because he only installed the security updates from
Microsoft. But the rest who have the system up to date with the Microsoft
updates are experiencing this issue.

Can you help please ?

Thanks

Best

Mark F.

Hi All

ActiveX does not pop up when trying to open a Sieble web application. The
ActiveX needs to be installed befor this web application can be opened.
Of
course, the pop-up blocker is off and the downloads + ActiveX in Security
tab
of the Internet Options are enabled.

The thing is that we have only one user who is able to open the web
application and this is because he only installed the security updates
from
Microsoft. But the rest who have the system up to date with the Microsoft
updates are experiencing this issue.

Can you help please ?

Thanks

Best

This may be related to your problem. See WORKAROUND link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738/

There have been numerous security updates regarding ActiveX objects. Make
sure that you create a restore point before you change the registry.

Another thing to try is do a search in the registry for the ActiveX control.
For example: mcsclrpnl.ocx or .dll. If the library or ActiveX object is not
installed you can manually install it with regsvr32.exe.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true

Mark

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Best,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

At this moment, I'd like to thanks Mark for his kindly and great
information sharing. You may try his suggestions that may address your
issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Mark F." <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:48:34 -0500
|

| | > Hi All
| >
| > ActiveX does not pop up when trying to open a Sieble web application.
The
| > ActiveX needs to be installed befor this web application can be opened.
| > Of
| > course, the pop-up blocker is off and the downloads + ActiveX in
Security
| > tab
| > of the Internet Options are enabled.
| >
| > The thing is that we have only one user who is able to open the web
| > application and this is because he only installed the security updates
| > from
| > Microsoft. But the rest who have the system up to date with the
Microsoft
| > updates are experiencing this issue.
| >
| > Can you help please ?
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > Best
|
| This may be related to your problem. See WORKAROUND link.
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738/
|
| There have been numerous security updates regarding ActiveX objects. Make
| sure that you create a restore point before you change the registry.
|
| Another thing to try is do a search in the registry for the ActiveX
control.
| For example: mcsclrpnl.ocx or .dll. If the library or ActiveX object is
not
| installed you can manually install it with regsvr32.exe.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true

| Mark

Thanks to both of you.

I tested on brand new machine with only SP2 on it (the security update
896688 (MS05-052) was not installed). The ActiveX popup did not popup. The
strange thing is that one user has on his computer the security update 896688
and the popup appears without any problem which then allow him to access the
web application.

Thanks

Best

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Best,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

At this moment, I'd like to thanks Mark for his kindly and great
information sharing. You may try his suggestions that may address your
issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Mark F." <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:48:34 -0500
|

| | > Hi All
| >
| > ActiveX does not pop up when trying to open a Sieble web application.
The
| > ActiveX needs to be installed befor this web application can be opened.
| > Of
| > course, the pop-up blocker is off and the downloads + ActiveX in
Security
| > tab
| > of the Internet Options are enabled.
| >
| > The thing is that we have only one user who is able to open the web
| > application and this is because he only installed the security updates
| > from
| > Microsoft. But the rest who have the system up to date with the
Microsoft
| > updates are experiencing this issue.
| >
| > Can you help please ?
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > Best
|
| This may be related to your problem. See WORKAROUND link.
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738/
|
| There have been numerous security updates regarding ActiveX objects. Make
| sure that you create a restore point before you change the registry.
|
| Another thing to try is do a search in the registry for the ActiveX
control.
| For example: mcsclrpnl.ocx or .dll. If the library or ActiveX object is
not
| installed you can manually install it with regsvr32.exe.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true

| Mark

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Best,

Thanks for your response and let us know your situation.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:16:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks to both of you.
|
| I tested on brand new machine with only SP2 on it (the security update
| 896688 (MS05-052) was not installed). The ActiveX popup did not popup.
The
| strange thing is that one user has on his computer the security update
896688
| and the popup appears without any problem which then allow him to access
the
| web application.
|
| Thanks
|
| Best
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Best,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > At this moment, I'd like to thanks Mark for his kindly and great
| > information sharing. You may try his suggestions that may address your
| > issue.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Mark F." <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > | Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| > | Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:48:34 -0500

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.i
| > ad01!roadrunner.com!not-for-mail
| > |
| > |

| > The
| > Security

| > Microsoft

| > |
| > | This may be related to your problem. See WORKAROUND link.
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738/
| > |
| > | There have been numerous security updates regarding ActiveX objects.
Make
| > | sure that you create a restore point before you change the registry.
| > |
| > | Another thing to try is do a search in the registry for the ActiveX
| > control.
| > | For example: mcsclrpnl.ocx or .dll. If the library or ActiveX object
is
| > not
| > | installed you can manually install it with regsvr32.exe.
| > |
| > |

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| > us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true
| > |
| > | Mark
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

The situation is that none of us, except one, is able to access the web
application whithout installing the ActiveX popup which is refusing to turn
up. The KB 909738 that Mark referred me to did not help.

If I log a call with Microsoft, would this be resolved ?

Thanks

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Best,

Thanks for your response and let us know your situation.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:16:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thanks to both of you.
|
| I tested on brand new machine with only SP2 on it (the security update
| 896688 (MS05-052) was not installed). The ActiveX popup did not popup.
The
| strange thing is that one user has on his computer the security update
896688
| and the popup appears without any problem which then allow him to access
the
| web application.
|
| Thanks
|
| Best
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Best,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > At this moment, I'd like to thanks Mark for his kindly and great
| > information sharing. You may try his suggestions that may address your
| > issue.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Mark F." <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > | Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| > | Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:48:34 -0500

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.i
| > ad01!roadrunner.com!not-for-mail
| > |
| > |

| > The
| > Security

| > Microsoft

| > |
| > | This may be related to your problem. See WORKAROUND link.
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909738/
| > |
| > | There have been numerous security updates regarding ActiveX objects.
Make
| > | sure that you create a restore point before you change the registry.
| > |
| > | Another thing to try is do a search in the registry for the ActiveX
| > control.
| > | For example: mcsclrpnl.ocx or .dll. If the library or ActiveX object
is
| > not
| > | installed you can manually install it with regsvr32.exe.
| > |
| > |

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| > us/regsvr32.mspx?mfr=true
| > |
| > | Mark
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Best,

At this moment, I'd like to suggest you first reset all IE settings to the
defaults as below:

1. Delete the cookies
1) Click Start, click Search and click For Files or Folders
2) Type "Cookies" (without the quotation marks) and click Search Now
3) Delete files in the cookie directory

2. Delete all the temporary files
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click Delete Files button in the
General tab

3. Delete the downloaded objects
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click settings button in the
General tab.
3) Press View Objects.
4) Remove all the Objects there.

4. Remove the Plug-Ins in Internet Explorer
1) Close all the Internet Explorer windows.
2) Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.
3) Locate the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
4) Remove all the files in this folder.
Note: You may also move them to another folder.

5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder
1) Stop Automatic Updates service.
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc.
b. In the right pane, stop the Automatic Updates service.
2) Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Test the issue again.

6. Reset all settings of Internet Explorer
1) Under the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) Under the Security tab, click Default Level button.
3) Under the Content tab. Under Content Advisor the button default is
"Enable..."
Click on "Clear SSL" under Certificates, and click on "OK."
4) Under "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" click on the "LAN Settings..."
button - remove all checkmarks and settings unless actually required to use
a proxy and close the window
5) Under the Programs tab, click Reset Web Settings.
6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.

7. Disable all third party Add-ons
1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
3) Disable all third party Add-ons.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:32:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| The situation is that none of us, except one, is able to access the web
| application whithout installing the ActiveX popup which is refusing to
turn
| up. The KB 909738 that Mark referred me to did not help.
|
| If I log a call with Microsoft, would this be resolved ?
|
| Thanks
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Best,
| >
| > Thanks for your response and let us know your situation.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| > | Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:16:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | Thanks to both of you.
| > |
| > | I tested on brand new machine with only SP2 on it (the security
update
| > | 896688 (MS05-052) was not installed). The ActiveX popup did not
popup.
| > The
| > | strange thing is that one user has on his computer the security
update
| > 896688
| > | and the popup appears without any problem which then allow him to
access
| > the
| > | web application.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Best
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!msrtrans!

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.i
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > application.
| > opened.

| > updates

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > Make
registry.
| > | > |
ActiveX
| > is
| > | > |
| > | > |

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Ken

I think we found the solution to this problem. We installed "Crystal Report
9.0" software and this seems to have addressed it.

Many thanks thanks for your support and I shall also thank Mark.

Regards

Best

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:32:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| The situation is that none of us, except one, is able to access the web
| application whithout installing the ActiveX popup which is refusing to
turn
| up. The KB 909738 that Mark referred me to did not help.
|
| If I log a call with Microsoft, would this be resolved ?
|
| Thanks
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Best,
| >
| > Thanks for your response and let us know your situation.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I tested on brand new machine with only SP2 on it (the security
update
| > | 896688 (MS05-052) was not installed). The ActiveX popup did not
popup.
| > The
| > | strange thing is that one user has on his computer the security
update
| > 896688
| > | and the popup appears without any problem which then allow him to
access
| > the
| > | web application.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Best
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!msrtrans!

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.i
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > application.
| > opened.

| > updates

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > Make
registry.
| > | > |
ActiveX
object

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Best,

Thanks for your prompt reply and let us know you have found the root cause.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

> [...]

| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: ActiveX does not popup
| > | Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:32:05 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > turn
| > | up. The KB 909738 that Mark referred me to did not help.
| > |
| > | If I log a call with Microsoft, would this be resolved ?
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

<[email protected]>
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > update
| > popup.
| > update
| > access
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > your

| > newsreader

TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!msrtrans!

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!post01.i
| > | > | > |

ActiveX
| > in

| > web