Active-X selectively disabled

G

I have a friend's machine (HP 533W) with XP Home. He recently got a virus warning. His Norton 2002 is now disabled. I installed AVG and ran a scan. It found a single dialer. Spybot & Adaware found a number of spies and removed them. While AAW was running, AVG popped up 2 virus warnings, one on a file called IA.dll and one on IEASSIST2.dll. It called one of them downloader.wintine.Q and the other wintine.AB. When the machine was rebooted, AVG was dead, core missing.
I rebooted in the safe mode command window and renamed both files and then rebooted again, removed and reinstalled AVG. When it rebooted as part of the install, AVG core was killed again. I reinstalledAVG "over the top" and when the core was reinstalled, it took off. I scanned and found nothing, even when I specifically scanned the two renamed files. However, after several reboots, it scans as clean.
Now for the problem. When I try to connect to Panda online scan or housecall or bitdefender, and the active-x box should come up to allow me to install the software, it aborts with an error saying my security settings are too high to allow the activ-x to run. Same for the Windows Update site. It doesn't matter where I set the security settings. I set them at the lowest setting without helping. I set them custom and asked for a prompt. They prompt on the MSN.com homepage, but when I go to the Windows update page, my "settings are too high" to let it run.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, CJon

G

CJon said:
I have a friend's machine (HP 533W) with XP Home.
<snip>It called one of them downloader.wintine.Q and the other wintine.AB. <snip>
I got the names wrong: Wintrim.V & Wintrim.BF
CJon

G

Any thoughts, Please?

CJon said:
<snip>It called one of them downloader.wintine.Q and the other wintine.AB. <snip>
I got the names wrong: Wintrim.V & Wintrim.BF
CJon

Ask a Question