Active Members

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Is there a period of inactivity for this site e.g. if you dont log on for x months, your account is deleted?
Nope, it was considered at one point, but there are people logging in to accounts after 6 months (or longer) and using them later. It takes up an extra 200k of server space (if that), so there is no harm in keeping them :)

Reaction score
Well i reply pretty often while I'm at work, but rarely get the chance to when I'm off. besides, its better to help someone (or try to at least) when I'm doin nuthin better. besides, its alot more entertaining to talk computers then it is to read a book of physics of flying.... thats real fun. Zzzz...

Reaction score
I mostly work IT for a national cable company. we get nice lil programs that will walk you threw someones mdm and router into their comp. plus i have alot of free time while talking to morons. i do not usually insult someone for not knowing, but when they mention they like the new cup holder on their computer............ took a bit of silence then realizing they meant the cd-rom tray i had to stop and laugh... and they have a business accnt for cable internet. and I'm working on my commercial piots liscense right now also... keeps me pretty busy.

Reaction score
Pilots license....AWESOME... i want to be a commercial pilot when i grow up... it's my ambition.

So what you working on - frozen ATPL? Done any practical yet?

Reaction score
its a great job, and you cant beat the pay. a few years in and you work about 8 days a month. and make around 22 thousand a month. I dunno how that translates into your currency, but if your serious about it.... you'll want to train in the u.s. training in europe is just nutz... I know people from all over the world, alot from europe and south africa... and for them its cheaper to spend 2 years doing fast training with paying full living expenses then it is to train at home over there. And I have alot of practical... i had just learned to use basic controls of a single engine when i had to fly home dodging storms big enough to rip off my wings and land, (that isnt an exaggeration. you'd be surprised on how strong storms are.) the entire time, my instructor had her white knuckled the dash because she was afraid of lightning... made me feel all comfortable with her buggin out. but for us, it takes 1500 hours to get your atp liscense... most dont get that untill they've been flying people around for a few years. its not needed untill you hit the major airlines, but it comes in hand. i have around 300 hours i think... somewhere around there. been flying the last 3 years.

Reaction score
You'll need your instructor rating to gain some hours before you apply for a commercial job though right? You'll need as many hours as possible as airlines want people with experience.

I was looking to train for my PPL in Joplin Missouri and stay with friends in Galena Kansas - they have an instructor friend whod do me a good deal so it would work out good for me

Reaction score
You could setup the Postill college plane :p

That would be an experience, be different to the bus.

Reaction score
well.... going with instructing to build hours is the way alot of pilots go because its hard to find a job at that point. I am different in that i already have a job lined up so I'm not going to get my instructors liscense. i teach other students enough as is and instructors make s*** pay. and alot of hours isnt always a good thing. they look alot for ppl with very low hours too; because the longer you've been flying, the more bad habits you've gotten. and its easier to train a new person then it is to have someone break years of bad flying habits. so 300 will in some cases get hired in faster then someone with a few thousand. specially vs military pilots. and wow. missouri.... Hope you like living in the middle of nowhere. theres schools all over the u.s. Just plan on spending a minimum of 35k for school. for someone like me thats going commercial. i spent 100k ( k = thousand) for a school with a very reputable name. the name matters... means they arent taking a chance whether or not you know your stuff when getting a job with a regional airline.

Reaction score
oh wait, sorry, for just your ppl its 3.5k to 12k. sorry, 35k was to go farther.

Reaction score
It's not a school i'd go to, i'd be trained by a friend, he's an instructor...

I dont live in missouri, though i would love to though - has to be better than boring England ;)

Reaction score
Thats cool, But count in the plane cost. And if your really considering this, remeber that your not confined to just him out in the middle of nowhere in missouri. In america. to me at least, we're all the same, so find a school that best fits you. then look at a place to live, all schools have places that work with them and roomates. and any flight school has a place that other pilots post for roomates, tey're always looking for someone. If you need any help... I can help. you can email any time. I Am willing to help anyone thats trying. Just plan on studying alot. If nothing else. Go get you private flgihts books now. And study. Alot. study evry day or two, even if its 1-2 hours a day. But It is worth it. I love flying, always dreamed of it. But its more then I could have imagined. and women always flock to you. you just have to mention that you fly and its instant a$$. If your interested in hearing more about flying, just lemme know. good luck, seeya.

Reaction score
Cheers mate :D

The only way i could afford my PPL is to stay with my friends for a couple of months in Kansas, and learn at Joplin - any other way would just be far too expensive - rent, food etc etc...

I work at your equivalent of Wal*Mart (part time) and am in full time education at college - so as you can guess i dont have much disposable income!

my friends in Kansas sent me their book, the guy learned to fly, so i have about 5 or 6 books covering shed loads from physics to accidents, i read through them when i have the time.

I also fly on FS2004, its a computer game you may say, yeah but its unbelievebable realistic. Put me in a 737 now and i bet i could land it :)

Ask a Question