Active Directory vs. Novell NDS (Workgroups vs. Domains)

B

BASEL GHAZZAWI

I am trying to find educational materials (graphical presentation or animation clip) to explain what a "Security Domain" is and how user accounts, network resources and computer objects are handled under Microsoft infrastructure as opposed to the currently used Novell NDS and eDirectory.

Managers of this company are interested in knowing why they should convert to Microsoft infrastructure and I have to answer in the simplest and shortest way possible, therefore an animated clip is the best I can think of.

I recall watching a great animation clip while attending the MOC years ago (1996) of Windows NT 4.0 which explained what are security domains, why user and computer accounts are forced, and how authentication happens. An animation of this type in addition to the advantages of Active Directory in an animated clip would make a big difference in a long fought battle to replace Novell NDS and stop plans to migrate to SUSE Linux and eDirectory.

J

Jorge de Almeida Pinto

see if the following provides any help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sfn/default.mspx

--
Cheers,
# Jorge de Almeida Pinto #
BLOG --> http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/jorge/default.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always test before implementing!

I am trying to find educational materials (graphical presentation or animation clip) to explain what a "Security Domain" is and how user accounts, network resources and computer objects are handled under Microsoft infrastructure as opposed to the currently used Novell NDS and eDirectory.

Managers of this company are interested in knowing why they should convert to Microsoft infrastructure and I have to answer in the simplest and shortest way possible, therefore an animated clip is the best I can think of.

I recall watching a great animation clip while attending the MOC years ago (1996) of Windows NT 4.0 which explained what are security domains, why user and computer accounts are forced, and how authentication happens. An animation of this type in addition to the advantages of Active Directory in an animated clip would make a big difference in a long fought battle to replace Novell NDS and stop plans to migrate to SUSE Linux and eDirectory.

P

Paul Bergson

The movies you speak of have come with the training materials on some of o/s course training materials supplementary cd. I'm aware it was available with some of the NT4, XP and 2000 official cources. I don't recall if it comes with 2003. I would e-mail you a copy but it would be a violation of trademark rights.

Also look at:

Support WebCast: Windows Server 2003: Upgrading, Migrating, and Restructuring Windows Domains webcast
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329471?Product=winsvr2003

Active Directory Basics Webcast
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx

You could go thru the webcasts from TechEd 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/teched2005.mspx#teched

--

Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

A

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In BASEL GHAZZAWI <[email protected]> stated, which I commented on below:

I replied with a few suggestions to your same post in
windows.server.active_directory.

This thread was multi-posted. It would have been to your benefit and ours as
far as collaboration and the ability to see all responses simultaneously if
you had cross-posted this. If you accessed the newsgroups thru a web-based
forum, then I can understand why you weren't able to cross-post, but I see
that you used Outlook Express, which makes it easy to cross-post: just click
on 'Newsgroups' and select which groups to send this to. Replies will
automatically be sent to all of the cross-posted groups.

--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

If you are having difficulty in reading or finding responses to your post,
instead of the website you are using, if I may suggest to use OEx (Outlook
Express or any other newsreader of your choosing), and configure a newsgroup
account, pointing to news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link into the
Microsoft Public Newsgroups, and it is FREE and DOES NOT require a Usenet
account with your ISP. With OEx, you can easily find your post, track
threads, cross-post, and sort by date, poster's name, watched threads or
subject.

Not sure how? It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile.
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
=================================

Ask a Question