Activation Question

G

Hello,
I have an activation question. I have a PC and laptop, each that came with Windows XP Home. I purchased XP Pro and upgraded the laptop. I was told that it worked like Office XP Pro and that you could install it on both a PC and laptop, and I installed the same copy of XP Pro on the PC. Well, obviously I was unable to activate this copy, because, as I found out by researching it after the fact, Windows XP Pro DOESN'T let you install a copy on both a PC and laptop. So now I have an un-activated copy of Windows XP Pro on my PC that is counting down the days. I bought another Windows XP Pro CD, and when I began the installation, it says that it CANNOT UPGRADE Windows, that it HAS to install a CLEAN copy of Windows. I guess it can upgrade Home Edition to Pro, but it can't upgrade an already-installed copy of Pro to another copy of Pro. Anyway -- is there an easy way around this? Will installing a clean copy in the same directory as my current copy of Windows mess up my software? Is there a registry key where I can enter the new product key and then re-activate? Is that possible? I want to avoid formatting the hard drive and starting over right now because I just don't have the time to do that. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

No, Windows Product Activation for XP enforces the EULA. One license, one machine.

You will need to purchase another copy of XP Pro for the second computer, and you obviously purchased the upgrade version, so no, it won't do a clean install.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...ovr&pcid=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5

Click the link above and look in the right pane for instructions on how to purchase an additional license. However, the discount is not that substantial. You can probably find an upgrade version, retail box with CD for the same price.

D

David Candy

Where/how did you buy the second Pro disk. What is written on the BOX it came in.

G

No I actually purchased the full version, not the upgrade version. Again, it is *not* letting me choose "Upgrade(Recommended)" in the drop-down list when I start the installation. In other words, what I am saying is that the additional copy of XP that I purchased will *only* do a Full Install and not an Upgrade. What I am asking is, is there a way around this? Or better yet, will it hurt anything to go ahead and do a Full Install (ie, will it hurt my software to do a Full Install?) Is there a way to 'tell' Windows that I have a legitimate second copy of Windows XP Pro now without actually reinstalling it? Thanks again for your help.

K

Ken Blake, MVP

In
Tim said:
No I actually purchased the full version, not the upgrade version.
Again, it is *not* letting me choose "Upgrade(Recommended)" in the
drop-down list when I start the installation. In other words, what I
am saying is that the additional copy of XP that I purchased will
*only* do a Full Install and not an Upgrade.

If what you are calling a Full version will not let you do an
upgrade, it's not a Full retail version, but an OEM version.
Among their other disadvantages, OEM versions can not do
upgrades.

Or better yet, will it hurt anything to go ahead and do a Full
Install (ie, will it hurt my software to do a Full Install?)

A full (clean) installation deletes everything on the drive--all
your software, all your data, etc.

D

D.Currie

It sounds like you bought an OEM version which will only do a clean install.
Maybe. Unless you're going about it in an odd way or there was a problem
with the original install.

If you bought the full retail, it should do the repair install over what
you've got now, which will change the key. If you've got the same version
installed as you're trying to install now, it's not going to let you choose
"upgrade" as it's the same, not a newer or "higher" version.

What you want to do is boot from the cd (don;t run it from within Windows),
skip the first choice to do a repair, choose the second time it asks about
doing a repair install, and it will fix your problem.

Tim said:
No I actually purchased the full version, not the upgrade version. Again,
it is *not* letting me choose "Upgrade(Recommended)" in the drop-down list
when I start the installation. In other words, what I am saying is that the
additional copy of XP that I purchased will *only* do a Full Install and not
an Upgrade. What I am asking is, is there a way around this? Or better
yet, will it hurt anything to go ahead and do a Full Install (ie, will it
hurt my software to do a Full Install?) Is there a way to 'tell' Windows
that I have a legitimate second copy of Windows XP Pro now without actually
reinstalling it? Thanks again for your help.computer, and you obviously purchased the upgrade version, so no, it won't
do a clean install.to purchase an additional license. However, the discount is not that
substantial. You can probably find an upgrade version, retail box with CD
for the same price.with Windows XP Home. I purchased XP Pro and upgraded the laptop. I was
told that it worked like Office XP Pro and that you could install it on both
a PC and laptop, and I installed the same copy of XP Pro on the PC. Well,
obviously I was unable to activate this copy, because, as I found out by
researching it after the fact, Windows XP Pro DOESN'T let you install a copy
on both a PC and laptop. So now I have an un-activated copy of Windows XP
Pro on my PC that is counting down the days. I bought another Windows XP
Pro CD, and when I began the installation, it says that it CANNOT UPGRADE
Windows, that it HAS to install a CLEAN copy of Windows. I guess it can
upgrade Home Edition to Pro, but it can't upgrade an already-installed copy
of Pro to another copy of Pro. Anyway -- is there an easy way around this?
Will installing a clean copy in the same directory as my current copy of
Windows mess up my software? Is there a registry key where I can enter the
new product key and then re-activate? Is that possible? I want to avoid
formatting the hard drive and starting over right now because I just don't
have the time to do that. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

G

OK that's what I needed to know ... rats. So this copy I have will not help me. I guess my only final question is, is there a way in the Registry to simply enter the new Product Key and then the activation will work? Or do you absolutely have to install Windows XP from the same CD?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

G

This is very helpful. Here is an important question - do I need to purchase the FULL retail package or can I purchase the UPGRADE retail package.

And actually ... will the procedure you just listed work with the Full version OEM CD that I have (ie the repair procedure)?? Do you think that would work?

Thanks again.

D

David Candy

You should contact MS and tell them as the person you bought it from isn't allowed to sell it to you.
(e-mail address removed)
or ring them.

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

As long as you're upgrading from Home, you can purchase the upgrade version.

Each CD key is not unique to the CD, its unique to the product (Home, Pro, Full Retail, Upgrade Retail, OEM and etc.).

As part of Activation, if it fails, you should be offered the chance to enter a new CD key. This must be a key for the same version that you installed.

G

Thanks for everyone's help!

Doug Knox MS-MVP said:
As long as you're upgrading from Home, you can purchase the upgrade version.

Each CD key is not unique to the CD, its unique to the product (Home, Pro, Full Retail, Upgrade Retail, OEM and etc.).

As part of Activation, if it fails, you should be offered the chance to enter a new CD key. This must be a key for the same version that you installed.

Ask a Question