Subject: ACDSee problem
From: "Stephen Larivee" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/16/2004 2:49 PM Eastern Standard Time

I have ACDSee installed and I am pretty sure I have all of the file
associations checked. When I click on a graphic file, it is not opening in
ACDSee but it is being previewed by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

How do I shut Windows Picture and Fax Viewer off and have it open with
ACDSee????
You're "pretty sure"???? First thing to do is to make damn sure you've
associated all the image file extensions with ACDSee. Don't use it, so I can't
tell you exactly how, but if there's not an "Options" or "Preferences" menu
item the help files are a good place to look. If that doesn't solve your
problem, post back with details and I'm sure someone will have a go at it.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Stephen Larivee

All file associations are with ACDSee. Even the icon is an ACDSee icon but
there is something forcing the file to open in PREVIEW mode with Microsoft
Picture and Fax Viewer and not to just OPEN with ACDSee.

John Ski

All file associations are with ACDSee. Even the icon is an ACDSee icon but
there is something forcing the file to open in PREVIEW mode with Microsoft
Picture and Fax Viewer and not to just OPEN with ACDSee.
Have you tried right-clicking and "Open With" >"Choose Program"> select ACDSee
and clicking the checkbox for "Always open the selected file type with this
program" (or words to that effect)? You may have to go thru your file types
one-by-one.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Bob Cunningham

I have ACDSee installed and I am pretty sure I have all of the file
associations checked. When I click on a graphic file, it is not opening in
ACDSee but it is being previewed by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
How do I shut Windows Picture and Fax Viewer off and have it open with
ACDSee????

A couple of times I've somehow had things other than ACDSee
as the automatic picture viewer. Then I've re-installed
ACDSee and it has automatically become the automatic picture
viewer.

You might try uninstalling ACDSee and re-installing it. It
would work for me.

MAP

I have ACDSee installed and I am pretty sure I have all of the file
associations checked. When I click on a graphic file, it is not opening in
ACDSee but it is being previewed by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

How do I shut Windows Picture and Fax Viewer off and have it open with
ACDSee????

.
Hi Stephen,Try this Single click on a foto to highlite
it then in the upper left corner of the folder it's in go
to file on the drop down menu select properties,there
should be an "open with selection" click on change.From
that menu select ACDSee and put a check in the box that
says "always use this program to open this kind of file
type" then hit apply.

Alex Nichol

Stephen said:
I have ACDSee installed and I am pretty sure I have all of the file
associations checked. When I click on a graphic file, it is not opening in
ACDSee but it is being previewed by Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

You need to run regedit.exe

Open to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx
\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview

Highlight that and delete it

John Ski

Subject: Re: ACDSee problem
From: Alex Nichol (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/17/2004 7:52 AM Eastern Standard Time

You need to run regedit.exe

Open to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx
\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview

Highlight that and delete it
Alex,
I certainly value your help given here so freely and often. In the case,
however, do you think it's a good idea to tell an obvious computer novice to
edit his registry without even mentioning any of the usual caveats, like
backup, etc.? I and at least one other have given the OP a solution that
worked for him(right-click, open with, always use this prog, yada yada). He
even thanked me. As you know an extremely rare occurrence in these parts. Did
you miss the rest of the thread?

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

mikey

worse yet, ACDSee has built in an option to assign/reassign file types to itself.
all that should be needed is to use this option to reassign the file types back to itself.

(e-mail address removed)

From: Alex Nichol (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/17/2004 7:52 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

My problem has been taken care of. Thankfully I did not have to get into
the registry. I have been in there before but it is not a move I would make
lightly.

My thanks again to all who replied with suggestions. Things are fine now!!
ACDSee has regained control of the images on my computer!!