Accuracy of CeRunAppAtTime() on iPAQ 6965

MWC

Reaction score
I'm currently involved in developing a custom app for HP hw6965 devices (WM 5.0 - Phone Edition) and am running into some issues that I hope someone can help me with.

At 5 minute intervals (managed using CeRunAppAtTime()), the app gets the user's current location (via GPS) and sends this information back to a server (via GPRS). This process works fine, however I'm experiencing issues concerning the accuracy of the timer - it seems that the timer can be a bit random (sometimes the timer is triggered up to 4 minutes late).

My questions are:

1. Can anyone explain the different power modes (and characteristics) for a HP iPAQ hw6965? I have contacted HP via phone, however the tech I spoke to was not very helpful and didn't seem to have a good understanding of this device.

2. Are there hardware-specific issues that may cause the CeRunAppAtTime() to be inconsistently invoked? Is the accuracy related to the "mode" the device is in at the time it is invoked (e.g. standby / sleep).

3. It seems that the GPS receiver is turned off whenever the device enters sleep / standby mode. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the GPS receiver active whilst the device is in sleep / standby mode?

4. Does my app continue running when the device is in the "off" state? (since this is a "WM 5.0 - Phone Edition" device, and phone calls are still received no matter what state the device is in, is it possible that my app can continue to run also?).

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike C.

Ask a Question