Accidently deleted Distribution list..can't get back-up in

A

Art Nittskoff

I just started using Outlook and might have made a big mistake.

I was looking in a distribution list and I wanted to delete one entry in it.
I hit DELETE and it deleted the entire list. (I now know I should have hit
remove)

I had a PST file marked back-up, but I didn't want to switch to that file
because I had made about 50 changes to the first file today...so the back-up
would not have any of the changes.

I renamed the current file outlookold.pst and changed the name of the backup
to outlook.pst

I found the distribution list I needed nd emailed it my myself.

I opened it up and it was all there.

I renamed the files and now had the contacts open with the distribution list
missing. I opened up the distribution list and told it to save and it says it
did it...but it is not there.

Soooo, my questions is can you email a distribution list and have the new
computer save it?

Is there another way to imort the list?

Thanks and happy holiday!

Art

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Stop. Right now. Before you do any more damage.
You _never_ rename PST files in Windows Explorer. Doing so will corrupt your
Outlook profile and may even lose some data.
It is simple to retrieve information from another PST file. Simply open the
file in Outlook and copy what you need from it into your current PST file.

Reaction score
I am very confused

Russ,

Thanks very much for the reply. I am very confused. I entered my question on the Microsoft site. I received an email that I had a response: Here is the email I received

A Microsoft Community member has responded to your question entitled "need contacts on 2 computers...just copy PST file?" . Please read the response and indicate whether it answered your question or not. By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more quickly, you give the person who posted the answer credit for their contribution, and you help increase the quality of answers in the discussion group. Read and rate the response

If the response did not answer your question, click this link to continue receiving notifications for this thread.

Thank you for taking part in the Microsoft Communities!

NOTE: Do not reply to this message. This e-mail message has been sent from an unmonitored e-mail address. We are unable to respond to any replies sent to this e-mail address.

But I clicked on the link and it was not there. I went to the microsoft site and could not find my questions, but I GOOGLED them and found them on this site. I was not a previous member of this site..but I am now.

So, that all being said, I have to admit I did do exactly what you told me not to (but I did it before you told me) and everything appeared to work.

I wanted to move the PST file from my laptop to my desktop. They are both on a small network. I made a back up copy of both PST files, renamed the old one on the desktop and tried to copy and paste the one from the laptop and that did not work. Then I renamed the PST file from the laptop to OUTLOOKLAPTOP.PST, I moved the file to the proper directory, renamed it to OUTLOOK.PST, I opened it and everything was fine. I am not sure if I was just lucky or that is a way to do it.

Now my question is about DISTRIBUTION LISTS. How can I move one from one computer to another. It allows me to email it, I can open it up on the computer it is emailed to. I gives me the option of saving it..but when I save it, I can not find it again.

I tried this with emailing a regular contact also. It appears to work, but it can't be found after it is opened.

Thanks in advance for the help...sorry this message is so long.

Art

Ask a Question