Accessing SQL Server database via Activesync

Andy Baker

We have an VB.NET 2003 application running on windows CE.NET devices that
access an SQL Server 2000 database on a PC network. Usually, this is done
via a WLAN card in each device, and each device logs into the network
wirelessly, uploads and downloads data, then disconnects, which works well.
We have one potential customer who has no faith in wireless devices, and
wants to see an emergency option where if the wireless network doesn't work,
they can plug the device into a cradle, or connect a cable, and do the
transfer directly.
I don't have the option of plugging a wired ethernet card into the
device, as the slots are hidden from the user, so the only way that I can
see of doing it is via Activesync. My questions are 1) Is this possible /
desirable - in my experience I have had many more problems with Activesync
than I ever have with Wireless connections. 2) The way that the device works
wirelessly is that 'knows' the static IP address of a PC on the LAN,
establishes a connection, and connects to the SQL server database directly.
What changes would I have to make to make it work with Activesync as well?
Does the PC see the device connected via Activesync in the same way as it
would a wireless device? Thanks in advance.

Andy Baker

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You'd have to be a little more-specific about what version of ActiveSync
you're talking about to be sure, but generally ActiveSync 4.x provides a
network connection between the device and the PC, or at least the PC's
network, so you wouldn't have to change anything in your device code. It
should be simple to try with a little test code or even with your existing
program. What is the connection for AS that the device provides? USB?
Serial? Bluetooth? What version of ActiveSync is being used? 3.x? 4.x?

Paul T.

Andy Baker

Thanks for getting back to me. I have 2 different CE devices that both use
USB connections. The older one was supplied with Activesync 3.7, so I have
continued using that, although I suppose there is no reason why I shouldn't
use 4.x. I'll give it a try.

Andy Baker

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Well, there are some reasons, but, if you do, I think that this problem will
just go away. 3.7 has features like the ability to backup and restore a
device, which 4.x no longer has. 3.7 also has the ability for actual
syncing to occur over WiFi, which 4.x removes.

Paul T.