ACCESSIBILITY SUX

Husky

DON"T YELL AT ME< I"M NOT YELLING AT YOU> I JUST HELD THE SHIFT KEY TOO LONG
ONCE AGAIN< AND THE MACHINE HAS TURNED ME INTO A BLIND CRIPPLE>

THE TEXT IS A FOOT TALL< THE FKEYS ARE ALL SCREWED UP< MY CAPS LOCK AS YOU CAN
SEE IS OINCE AGAIN WORTHLESS> LAST TIME I JUST HAD TO WRITE A MESSAGE INTO THIS
NEWS GROUP AND IT FIXED ITSELF> SO THAT"S PRETTY MUCH KILLING @ BIRDS HERE> THE
PROBLEM WAS NEVER RESOLVED THE !ST TIME THRU> IF I held the shift key too long
the computer took control and screwed up everything. aha.. Finally back to
normal..

What did I do ?

Heck with that. How do I fix it so I don't have to post this ridiculous post
every time to disable the accessibility stuff. Disable it once and for all.
Hold shift too long and it goes berserk and won't return control. Only thing I
can see above that would point to the cure is fast typing that exceeded what
you'd expect from someone hunting and pecking the keyboard.

I did nothing to fix it above. It fixed itself mid sentence. I don't care to
have this thing turning itself on if I'm sitting on shift thinking..

David Candy

Accessibility
a.. Accessibility Keys
b.. Accessibility Tips
c.. Mouse Keys
[Back to Contents]

Accessibility Keys
Note: These keys can be disabled and Accessibility options set in Accessibility in Control Panel

Key Description
Hold Right Shift for eight seconds Switch FilterKeys on and off.
Left Alt + Left Shift + Prt Scn Switch High Contrast on and off.
Left Alt + Left Shift + Num Lock Switch MouseKeys on and off.
Shift x 5 Switch StickyKeys on and off.
Hold Num Lock for five seconds Switch ToggleKeys on and off
Winkey + U Starts Utility Manager

[Back to Accessibility Contents]

Accessibility Tips
While Accessibility is geared to people who need assistance in using a computer it includes nifty features for everyone. Some things that can be done;

a.. Sticky Keys allows one to press and release a modifier key and have it toggle on. Instead of pressing Ctrl + S to save a file, pressing Ctrl THEN S will save the file. Press once to modify the next key only, press twice to lock and to modify all subsequent key presses untill pressed a third time.
b.. Toggle Keys makes the toggle keys (Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock) make a tone when pressed. See another tip about Caps Lock at the end of the next section (Entering International Characters).
c.. The Display tab in Accessibility in Control Panel can change the width of the caret (text cursor).
d.. Mouse Keys allow one to use the numeric keypad as a mouse.
e.. On Screen Keyboard (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Accessibility or Winkey + U) allows typing with only a mouse.
[Back to Accessibility Contents]

Mouse Keys
Note: All these keys are on the numeric keypad. Some keys are optional and are set in Accessibility in Control Panel.

Key Description
5 Click
+ Double Click
- then 5 Right Click
- then + Right Double Click
* then 5 Both Button Click
* then + Both Button Double Click
/ Restore normal clicking
0 Press Left Button
5 then 0 Press Right Button
. Release Left or Right Mouse Button
1 - 4 and 6 - 9 Move mouse cursor in the text cursor direction shown on the key
Ctrl + 1 - 4 and 6 - 9 Move mouse cursor at a higher speed in the text cursor direction shown on the key
Shift + 1 - 4 and 6 - 9 Move mouse cursor at a slower speed in the text cursor direction shown on the key

[Back to Accessibility Contents]

[Back to Contents]

Husky

Accessibility
a.. Accessibility Keys
b.. Accessibility Tips
c.. Mouse Keys
[Back to Contents]

Accessibility Keys
Note: These keys can be disabled and Accessibility options set in Accessibility in Control Panel
Much as I'd like to believe that, it's not a fact on my machine. I have the
shift for 8 seconds disabled. I rest my hand on that key all the time, and if I
have to rummage around in my memory for something this is what happens. I hold
the shift key, and it screws my machine.

I think I may have found a fix. I fixed everything except for where it turned
my taskbar icons into life size acorns. I right clicked desktop, properties,
appearance, classic, and back to XP and apply. And the icons stayed the same.
I made changes to the disability section re: the shift key, and when I came
back after writing this note, the settings had reverted to my normal OFF.

David Candy

You have to disable the keystroke not the feature. The keystrokes turn feature on/off. So customise each feature to not have a key in the Settings for each feature.

Husky said:
[...]

I assume you mean fiddle with the keyboard programming with another 3rd party
program ? Cause I don't see any option on this shift key to reprogram it to
some key I seldom use.

David Candy

You have to go to Accessability in Control Panel and turn the key off for each feature. In the settings. Disabling the feature does nothing. You can press the key to do that.

Husky

You have to go to Accessability in Control Panel and turn the key off for each feature. In the settings. Disabling the feature does nothing. You can press the key to do that.
I've never turned the option on. It's always been off. But it still turns
itself on if I forget and hold the shift key too long.

lomaca

David said:
You are far too stupid. Live with it.

Thank you David!
Must say you have the patience of an angel.
Why on earth would anyone hold any key down for longer then needed???
Cheers

lomaca

David said:
You are a total moron. You have been told what to do but are to
stupid.

--=20
-------------------------
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
"lomaca" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message =
=20
David Candy Wrote:=20-
You are far too stupid. Live with it.
=20
=20-
=20
Thank you David!
Must say you have the patience of an angel.
Why on earth would anyone hold any key down for longer then needed???
Cheers
=20
=20
--=20
lomaca-

That will teach me to congratulate someone for their patience!
You blasted the wrong bloke this time David, but it's OK I can liv
with that!
Cheers anyway