Access Key problem

John

On my form I have a tab control with 4 pages. Each has an Access Key
assigned using the & in the captions for each.
Alt-G, Alt-W, Alt-I, and Alt-D
When I key in Alt-W the Access Menu opens at Windows, rather than going to
the proper tab page.
Looks as though the Application is handling the Alt-W, not the Form.

I think there is a setting to tell Access that all keystrokes should be
handled by the Form before the App, but I can not remember what that was.

My KeyPreview is set to Yes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Joseph R. Pottschmidt

Dear John:

You need to use the code developer and use ControlName_Keypress() in
order to define what you want each Control to do.

Joe P.

Posted At: Friday, July 28, 2006 8:32 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.access.formscoding
Conversation: Access Key problem
Subject: Access Key problem

On my form I have a tab control with 4 pages. Each has an Access Key
assigned using the & in the captions for each.
Alt-G, Alt-W, Alt-I, and Alt-D
When I key in Alt-W the Access Menu opens at Windows, rather than going
the proper tab page.
Looks as though the Application is handling the Alt-W, not the Form.

I think there is a setting to tell Access that all keystrokes should be
handled by the Form before the App, but I can not remember what that
was.

My KeyPreview is set to Yes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Joseph R. Pottschmidt

Dear John:

I've also figure out that if you put & at the beginning of each word
that begins with the letter that you want to use with the Alt key, that
will also select the particular page. Hope that helps?

Joe P.

_____

Posted At: Friday, July 28, 2006 8:32 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.access.formscoding
Conversation: Access Key problem

On my form I have a tab control with 4 pages. Each has an Access Key
assigned using the & in the captions for each.
Alt-G, Alt-W, Alt-I, and Alt-D
When I key in Alt-W the Access Menu opens at Windows, rather than going
the proper tab page.
Looks as though the Application is handling the Alt-W, not the Form.

I think there is a setting to tell Access that all keystrokes should be
handled by the Form before the App, but I can not remember what that
was.

My KeyPreview is set to Yes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

John

Re: Access Key problemJoe,
My tab control Pages are already named &Graph and &Warp for example.
If I enter Alt-G, I go right to the Graph tab, (as it should)
but, when entering an Alt-W it causes the Access Menu (toolbar) to open the
Windows dropdown. Access is reacting to the key strokes BEFORE the form has
a chance to react.

From Access Help - You can use the Caption property to assign an access
key to a label or command button. In the caption, include an ampersand (&)
immediately preceding the character you want to use as an access key. The
character will be underlined. You can press ALT plus the underlined
character to move the focus to that control on a form.

The tab pages "should" recat just like a button named &Button. There
shouldn't be any need to code for keystrokes as far as I can tell.

Thanks very much for your response
John