Access denied to my files

G

Hi!

I have a serious problem to solve. I bought a new PC and I wanted to transfer all my old datas from my old hardisk into the new one. As I have several GB of datas, I plugged my old harddisk as sklave on my PC and I have it now as F:

The problem is that my old PC was installed with Windows XP Pro and the new one I bought have Windows XP Home. Both disks are in NTFS. I Installed the Security Manager on Windows XP Home and I can access now on Security Pannel and can change the rights and permissions as in XP Pro...

The problem is that I need to go file by file and directory by directory in order to access to my datas.

Is there a way to fully reset the permissions and securities on my old harddisk? Or take the control of it?

Thank you for your answer!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

| Hi!
|
| I have a serious problem to solve. I bought a new PC and I wanted to transfer all my old datas from my old
hardisk into the new one. As I have several GB of datas, I plugged my old harddisk as sklave on my PC and I
have it now as F:
|
| The problem is that my old PC was installed with Windows XP Pro and the new one I bought have Windows XP
Home. Both disks are in NTFS. I Installed the Security Manager on Windows XP Home and I can access now on
Security Pannel and can change the rights and permissions as in XP Pro...
|
| The problem is that I need to go file by file and directory by directory in order to access to my datas.
|
| Is there a way to fully reset the permissions and securities on my old harddisk? Or take the control of it?
|
| Thank you for your answer!

G

I have some virus on my PC and Norton Anti Virus can't delet them. When I try to delet manually a window opens telling that is impossible to delete because the disk is full or protected or is been used. Can you give me a solution, please?

G

I am not able to delete files in winxp. Whenever I try to delete any file or folder, I get the message "cannot find the specified path" I can, however, delete files if I use the command prompt. I have made sure that I have administrator permission for my username and the drives, directories, files, etc are not "read only" I tried the method suggested in "how to take ownerhship of a file or folder in WinXP" but there was no "security" tab in the Properties of a file or folder that I right-clicked on

Any suggestions

Ask a Question