Access and FrontPage for info management ?

John

OK this is way outside the norm. I'm not talking about www.webdevelopment in the
normal context. As some of you know, I am a photographer. I have literally hundreds of
thousands of images. I also have a ton of info that I can't seem to get/keep organized.
For instance I have 100GB of digital music, 35GB of digital images, my site (however
pathetic it's current state) and probably over 400 documents that I haven't even had the
time to locate and get into HTML or PDF.

I was wondering if it's possible to create a personal web (think single station
"intranet") using MS Access and FrontPage to put some order to the chaos ?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org

Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and
societies; but the most compelling force of all times has been the force of originality
and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit.
Ansel Adams

Kevin Spencer

Hi John,

It's not outside the norm at all. You would be surprised how many
data-driven web sites there are out there. And you're right - using a
database for content organization is an excellent idea.

I took the liberty of doing a search on the Microsoft MSDN (Microsoft
Developer Network) library. The following link has a number of articles that
might be helpful to you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/techarticles/default.aspx

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Sometimes you eat the elephant.
Sometimes the elephant eats you.

John

Hi John,

It's not outside the norm at all. You would be surprised how many
data-driven web sites there are out there. And you're right - using a
database for content organization is an excellent idea.

I took the liberty of doing a search on the Microsoft MSDN (Microsoft
Developer Network) library. The following link has a number of articles that
might be helpful to you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/techarticles/default.aspx

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
.Net Developer

Thanks Kevin. So much to do, so little time . I see this is going to be a very
long term project which may only be exceeded by the 120 year-old home we bought a couple
of years ago ;>))

In your opinion, would I be best using Access or some other database ? Do most
databases have translators to allow for migration ?

JD - www.puresilver.org

Mike Mueller

One thing of note is that if you are going to be creating a
data-driven sitem, you will need to use a web server that
can do asp or some other server-side scripts. This may be
the local machine if it is Win 2000 or XP Pro, but not
xp-home.

Mike

Kevin Spencer wrote:
: Hi John,
:
: <John> wrote in message
: :: OK this is way outside the norm. I'm not talking about
:: www.webdevelopment in the
:: normal context. As some of you know, I am a
:: photographer. I have literally hundreds of
:: thousands of images. I also have a ton of info that I
:: can't seem to get/keep organized.
:: For instance I have 100GB of digital music, 35GB of
:: digital images, my site (however
:: pathetic it's current state) and probably over 400
:: documents that I haven't even had the
:: time to locate and get into HTML or PDF.
::
[...]

Thanks. I do have WinXP Pro and also WinXP x64 Pro. Do you have any suggestions or
links to online docs for setting this up ? I can forsee ordering several good books on
..NET. Recommendations for someone just dipping his toes in the water ?

JD - www.puresilver.org