AAHHHHH i quick erased a cdrw can i recover the data ??????????????????????????????????????????

mike6

hi there

old dummy me accidently quick erased a cdrw with info i
needed, I think it only erases the table of contents. Is there a
way too read / recover the info still on the disk?

Paul

mike6 said:
hi there

old dummy me accidently quick erased a cdrw with info i
needed, I think it only erases the table of contents. Is there a
way too read / recover the info still on the disk?

Try a search in Google using "quick erase" including the two
double quotes. I got this post in Dutch as an example (translated
with babelfish.altavista.com):

Subject: Re: Undo "quick" erase or format (CD-RW)
Newsgroups: nl.comp.cd-branden
Date: 2002-08-07 04:55:20 PST

Menno said:
Stupid, stupid, stupidly...
After I CD-RW have per-ongeluk > ge-quick erased I have gone in
search to a tool > that this can possibly make.

Making is impossible, at best circumstances still a number
of date sectors can you recuperate. In theory even all date
sectors because nothing of the user erased could area. Most of
the drives refuse however read dates of a ' empty ' CD. With my
Plextor 12/10/32 this succeeds but it is rather complicated.

To me, that implies you can recover the data sectors, assuming
you can find a drive that will tolerate the missing TOC. Maybe
some kind of "raw copy mode", that will copy all 650MB of
whatever data bits are on the disk, followed by using a
data recovery program on the recovered image, will work ?
A data recovery program might not work too well, if used against
the CD drive directly, if you believe the post above.

Another post states:

The CD-R FAQ says the following, which made me think it is
not:
The difference between "erase" and "quick erase" is that
the former erases the entire disc, while the latter just
stomps on the Table of Contents (TOC). It's like erasing
the directory off of a floppy disk. The file data is still
there, but since there's nothing pointing to it, the disc
appears empty."

so do some more Googling and maybe there is a recipe somewhere.
I found this one by combining "quick erase" and recovery
as search terms:

http://groups.google.ca/[email protected]

HTH,
Paul

Colin D

mike6 said:
hi there

old dummy me accidently quick erased a cdrw with info i
needed, I think it only erases the table of contents. Is there a
way too read / recover the info still on the disk?

Sorry about being a bit late with this reply. Google for Infinadyne, a
CDROM file recovery program which can find files on erased CD's.

Colin