A8N-SLI sound

Peer K

Hi,

Getting desperate here and need some help.

I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.

First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.

I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

dr ratt

Peer K said:
Hi,

Getting desperate here and need some help.

I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.

First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.

I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

when installed, does it show in device manager? if it does, check that you
have the correct speaker configuration set in control panel, then check the
volume controls for mute being checked. it may also be worth checking
whether media player is muted.

dr ratt

Peer K

dr said:
when installed, does it show in device manager? if it does, check that you
have the correct speaker configuration set in control panel, then check the
volume controls for mute being checked. it may also be worth checking
whether media player is muted.

Thanks for your reply. Tried that. Device manager looks okay, tried both
speaker and headphones in speaker configuration and nothing is muted..
But still no sound :-(

3

3200+

Peer K said:
Thanks for your reply. Tried that. Device manager looks okay, tried both
speaker and headphones in speaker configuration and nothing is muted..
But still no sound :-(

Check the FP_AUDIO jumpers. There should be a jumper placed across the
pairs either side of the single pin. This will at least enable you
eliminate faulty cabling down to the front panel.

John Hollingsworth

*From:* Peer K <[email protected]>
*Date:* Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:57:38 +0100

Hi,

Getting desperate here and need some help.

I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.

First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.

I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?

Thanks!
A very simple check - have you got the speakers in the right sockets? I
say that 'cos my Creative speaker leads have different colour codes to the
ALC850 on the A8V.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

John Hollingsworth