821557 & 823980 critical update problem

mrtee

I have shortcuts to my CD-ROM and CD-RW/DVD on my desktop. Updates 821557 and 823980 were installed through autoupdate. I had also installed some other programs and updates to them. The shortcuts stopped working.

I have spent the last 8 hours doing System Restores to various points and nothing helped.

This is what I have done after that:
1. Restored an image from 2 days ago.
2. Allowed autoupdate to install the updates and the shortcuts stopped working (system can not find) again.
3. Uninstalled 823980, still not working.
4. Uninstalled 821557, now the shortcuts work.
5. Reinstalled 823980, the shortcuts continue to work.

I could not find a link on the MS03-027 (821557) web page to send feedback to MS about the problem with the "fix".

My hope is that an MVP sees this and provide some feedback to MS.

mrtee

For grins & gigles I reinstalled 821557. Ended up with the same problem.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| All your shortcuts are gone or just the CD shortcuts? Can you not create new ones?
| Double-click my computer, right click your cd drive, click create shortcut, a
| dialogue will come up.
| Get Tweak UI and try repairing.
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
|
| --
| Mary Sauer MS MVP
| http://dgl.microsoft.com/
| http://mvps.org/msauer/
| "mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> wrote in message
| | I have shortcuts to my CD-ROM and CD-RW/DVD on my desktop. Updates 821557 and 823980
| were installed through autoupdate. I had also installed some other programs and
| updates to them. The shortcuts stopped working.
|
| I have spent the last 8 hours doing System Restores to various points and nothing
| helped.
|
| This is what I have done after that:
| 1. Restored an image from 2 days ago.
| 2. Allowed autoupdate to install the updates and the shortcuts stopped working
| (system can not find) again.
| 3. Uninstalled 823980, still not working.
| 4. Uninstalled 821557, now the shortcuts work.
| 5. Reinstalled 823980, the shortcuts continue to work.
|
| I could not find a link on the MS03-027 (821557) web page to send feedback to MS
| about the problem with the "fix".
|
| My hope is that an MVP sees this and provide some feedback to MS.
| --
| Just my 2¢ worth,
| Jeff
|

| ---

Dan

When you right click a shortcut that is no longer working
and select properties, is the target correctly pointing
to the programs .exe file?
I have shortcuts to my CD-ROM and CD-RW/DVD on my
desktop. Updates 821557 and 823980 were installed
through autoupdate. I had also installed some other
programs and updates to them. The shortcuts stopped
working.
I have spent the last 8 hours doing System Restores to
various points and nothing helped.
This is what I have done after that:
1. Restored an image from 2 days ago.
2. Allowed autoupdate to install the updates and the
shortcuts stopped working (system can not find) again.
3. Uninstalled 823980, still not working.
4. Uninstalled 821557, now the shortcuts work.
5. Reinstalled 823980, the shortcuts continue to work.

I could not find a link on the MS03-027 (821557) web
page to send feedback to MS about the problem with
the "fix".

mrtee

Dan, these are the posts that followed the OP;

Posted 9:27 AM (CDST)
Mary, the shortcuts are not gone, they are there but they do not work. I created new shortcuts with the same results, "the system can not find".

The system is XP pro.

Posted 10:02 AM (CDST)
For grins & gigles I reinstalled 821557. Ended up with the same problem.

The update is uninstalled now, as of 10:15 AM and they work again. Installing 821557 disables them and uninstalling it enables them.

If this is expected behavior ot should be so stated.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
When you right click a shortcut that is no longer working
and select properties, is the target correctly pointing
to the programs .exe file?

Rob Satterwhite [MSFT]

We are investigating this issue with 821557. A bug is being filed against
this problem.We are waiting on a date for resolution. Thank you for reproing
it and providing the additional detail.

Rob (Microsoft)

[...]

Parkers-Georgia & Bob

Also have this issue for the ZIP drive shortcut on my desktop (drive D) as
well as A(floppy), E(CD- ROM), and F (DVD). Please note to Microsoft that
shortcuts to ALL drives except "C" do not work, saying the path has been
changed or deleted or something to that effect. I hope the next Update will
correct this!

Georgia

mrtee

Gail, so I do not have "auto" update applied. It is set to inform me of new updates.

So how would disabling it solve the problem that the update created?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| Hi MrTee
|
| just my .02, DISABLE AUTOUPDATE!

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz SBS Rocks [MVP]

I saw this on a Win2k3 as well...while the autoupdate and downloaded a patch and it was
waiting for me to install and apply it, it wacked out my SCSI card that my tape drive hangs
off of. I installed the patch, rebooted the server and all was well [this is a test server].

It's like AU held onto certain hardware devices in "limbo"
Gail, so I do not have "auto" update applied. It is set to inform me of new updates.

So how would disabling it solve the problem that the update created?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| Hi MrTee
|
| just my .02, DISABLE AUTOUPDATE!

--
"Don't lose sight of security. Security is a state of being, not a
state of budget. He with the most firewalls still does not win.

http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/txt/evolution.txt

Helmut Stahl

Please inform us, if the bug can be fixed.

My computer shows similar symptoms since installing
these to updates.

Jonathan Woodard [MSFT]

A fix for this has been found and will be available soon. We'll post more
information when it's available.

Jonathan (Microsoft)

purposes only.

Maurice N

mrtee said:
Mary, the shortcuts are not gone, they are there but they do not
work. I created new shortcuts with the same results, "the system can
not find".
Hi Jeff,

A fix for the shortcut situation ( from 821557) will be out soon. This is per a note from MS. There's no specific date/time mentioned.

Opinicus

Maurice N said:
A fix for the shortcut situation ( from 821557) will be out soon.
This is per a note from MS. There's no specific date/time mentioned.

I'm not absolutely certain but I believe that the first time I installed
that update when it first came I had a problem with Total (formerly Windows)
Commander not being able find my USB hard disk on F:. For another reason I
had to roll back to a previous restore point, which of course undid the
update. When I downloaded and installed the update the second time, the
problem was gone.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or is the heat just getting to me?

mrtee

Thanks Maurice, I caught it before I saw your message.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

A fix for the shortcut situation ( from 821557) will be out soon. This is per a note from MS. There's no specific date/time mentioned.

Chris Wood

Is there really a fix for 821557? This notice has been around for nearly a
month now with no indication of a fix in the security bulletin.

Chris Wood
Alberta Department of Energy
CANADA

Lemon Jelly

Chris Wood - typed:
Is there really a fix for 821557? This notice has been around for
nearly a month now with no indication of a fix in the security
bulletin.

There seems to be a corporate-wide inability to admit to mistakes or
"issues" with MS products unless the spotlight warms things up 1st IMO.
Instead of stating that a number of systems have problems with this
update in the advisory, they choose to remain silent.

Some people here & elsewhere voice their surprise that people don't set
XP to automatically install Critical Updates. 821557 is the 3rd CU this
year that breaks my system. This is the reason I have it turned off.

I do appreciate the need to get CUs out promptly therefore forgoing some
testing that less urgent updates probably go through but to not publish
known issues is plain negligence in my book. My attitude is to carefully
read the notes regarding even Critical Updates & make an informed
judgement of the need to install instantly or wait for reports on this
NG of possible issues. I wouldn't have been particularly vulnerable to
the blaster worm had I chosen not to have installed 823980 because of
other precautions taken. For this reason I choose to not reduce security
risks (which are often very low risk to me anyway) at the expense of a
fully functioning system).

I hope MS's new approach to universal updating allows some control! I
also hope the next version of Windows is less prone to problems though I
have serious doubts due to problems with WS2003 & how slow large
organisations are to implement oft voiced Mission Statements.

Chris Wood

I did find 824143 in KB. If this is the fix to a problem that 821557
produces why is it not included in the notes for 821557 with a link?
Currently if 821557 gives you a problem you would have to contact MS to get
hold of 824143.

Chris Wood

Lemon Jelly

Chris Wood - typed:
I did find 824143 in KB. If this is the fix to a problem that 821557
produces why is it not included in the notes for 821557 with a link?
Currently if 821557 gives you a problem you would have to contact MS
to get hold of 824143.

Thanks for the info - I've emailed MS UK requesting the fix. Looking
again at 821557, Additional Information about this Patch, Caveats -
none!!! Ho hum.