750w psu

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Hiper 530w and I have been told by Hiper that my current PSU is not up to running all the specs in my pc. Please see uesrprofile for list of specs. I would be most grateful if you could let me know if you think that my Hiper 530w PSU is up to running whats in my system, Hiper have recommed that I go for at least a 750w PSU and that should be ok.

Thanks,

wiz

Reaction score
I would also vouch for Corsair or Seasonic.
But are you sure you need that much power????

What are you feeding?

Reaction score
Hi,

Please see list of specs.

CPU:
INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.40GHZ L2 FSB 1066MHZ
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA965P DQ6
RAM:
GEIL PC6400 800MHZ 4GB
Hard Drives:
SEAGATE 250GB SATA 11 , SAMSUNG 400GB SATA 11
Graphics Card:
BFG 8800GT OC DDR3 512MB
Sound Card:
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER GAMER EDTION
Optical Drives:
ASUS DRW-1814BL 18x DVD±RW IDE DUAL LAYER LIGHTSCRIBE
Operating System:
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMUIM 32BIT

wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would have thought 530W would have been enough - why did Hiper tell you that your PSU wasn't powerful enough, have you had problems with it?

Reaction score
I think the Corsair 620 would be more than enough though I admit I don't use high end greedy graphics cards.

I have:

Allendale 6300 at 3.3 ghz.
Giga Ds3.
2 gb Geil ram.
160gb disc.
Radeon 1650.

All running nicely on the 520w version.

It used to be fine with my Radeon 1900xt too.

Corsair 620

Noted this customer review----I know one has to take them with a pinch of salt...it's just that I noticed a similar hardware config.

"conroe e6600 asus 680i 2x ocz 8800gtx sli (overclocked to 690/2200) 4gb ocz ddr2 800 4x 500gb sata hdd in raid0 11x 120mm fans (yate loons) 1x80mm fan (antec) Alphacool Laing DDC ULTRA pump x2 overclocked to 4ghz 4x uv cathodes
sound blaster xfi extreme gamer

with all that running and its still rock solid i even had a spare psu to run all the fans but i just dont need it"

My choice has the nice feature of modular cabling-----some dislike that but it does make for a tidy rig.

If you still think you need more power try the 650

Reaction score
Hi,

They told be to get 750 psu because the one that I have at the moment is makeing a buzzing noise and there for they told me that my current system specs would make this noise worse and in the end die.

wiz

Reaction score
Dunno if it will add anything to your Corsair confidence but both Ady and me use them in some of our heftily overclocked crunching rigs.

If I had the money I'd swap out my other supplies for Corsairs too.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Is this normal for PSUS to make a buzzing??

I will propliy get the one that you said to get.

Hiper have e-mailed me and told me to go for this one HPU-4M780

Can you please let me know if you think that the corsair 650w would be able to run the above specs?

Many Thanks,

wiz

Reaction score
Can you please let me know if you think that the corsair 650w would be able to run the above specs?
If it don`t get this>:D

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Many Thanks,

wiz

Should be fine-------I would buy the 620........proven track record/modular cabling.....decent price.
If it doesn't meet your expectations I'll have it :D

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please let me know if this is normal for a PSU to make a little buzzing noise when the computer is turned off I thought it was because the PSU is still connected to the mains supply but Hiper say not.

Can you please advise,

Regards,

wiz

Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that capacitors are on their way out.....is only a guess though.
Does it continue for a while even when completely disconnected from the mains?

Reaction score
Just for a few secs after disconnected from the mains.

Sometimes I can here it when the computers off and sometimes I cant here. If can here it its a very queit buzzing noise

Is this normal.

Reaction score
Sure it's not just the fan winding down?
Never had a "buzzing" issue with my supplies.....maybe someone else here has had similar issues?

I would be a tad concerned if I couldn't trace it's origins.

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't think its the fan winding down.

Like I say I cant seem to relly here it that much its not very loud its quiet.

wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sad to say, Hiper PSU's aren't very good, that's why they're cheap.

Their 530W PSU is likely to deliver only about a true 350W which is why it won't run your system.

And because you've been drawing more juice than it can deliver it does sound as if it's on it's last knockings.

As Vaio says, that buzzing could be the sound of a dying Capacitor or two. It's discharging the DC current it's storing but that should be a gradual, silent discharge.

Take a look at the system in my signature, it's all running comfortably on a Corsair Modular 620W.

You really don't need 750W although it never does any harm to have some power in reserve.

I would strongly advise against another Hiper PSU and go for a PSU of around 600 watts from any of the following: Corsair; Seasonic; Tagan; Enermax. At a pinch - OCZ.

Ask a Question