64-bit Vista-Residential Gateway

I have a router that connects to my cable modem. I have 3 XP computers
sharing the router. I just added another machine connected by cable to the
router. This machine has a fresh install of 64-bit Vista Public Beta 2 on
it. When I set up the network as a home network, Vista defined a
"Residential Gateway" component. When I looked up what that means, I found
that the residential gateway allows one internet connection to be shared
through another computer. If that is right, I don't want my Vista machine
set up this way. It should just connect to the internet via the router.

Is my understanding of the situation correct and another computer is
involved? How can I check? Will the residential gateway still be defined
when this machine connects straight through the router? I've tried various
help files and have not been able to figure it out. Also, how can I fix it?

Raven Mill

Hi OneDave.

Are you refering to the "Residential Gateway" icon that shows up in "My
Network"?

If not, I don't know.

If so, then what you MIGHT be seeing is an icon giving direct access to the
ROUTER, which is the "residential gateway" on your network, just as you see
icons to the other computers on the network there. The only time I've seen
this is via uPnP, but then it tends to tell you what it is the icon points
to with a bit more specificity than just "Residential Gateway"

Colin Barnhorst

Your router is probably the residential gateway, not the computer. It just
means the box is serving multiple functions.

OneDave,

Ipconfig/all in MS-DOS on each machine to see what IP address is being
allocated to each machine. The router has an IP Range of for example,
192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.256 three computers connected will be for example
PC1 192.168.1.101 PC2 192.168.1.102 PC3 192.168.1.103. The default gateway
is example, 192.168.1.1 therefore each machine is being supplied by the
router. Each machine connected to your router should be using a CAT5
straight throw RJ45 cable to the router.

Quick question when you installed this did you have it connected to your
network...? When you were asked the question is this machine connected to a
business network at work or a home network which. No this machine connects
through another machine on the Internet, one did you select because this
could be the cause of the problem if you selected connects through another
computer. Check that everything is set to automatically detect an IP
address and Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

Ipconfig/all the ip address on the machine with Vista and find out what IP
address is being allocated to the machine. It should be coming from the
router.

"Raven Mill" <nospammingdammit> wrote in message
Direct access to the router can only be accessed via a console through the
browser to 192.168.1.1 or whatever the gateway address is to the router. I
think the residential gateway he is seeing is the connection from the router
to the modem if this is the case then this is normal.

It does happen sometime with Windows XP Pro where you see a Gateway Icon
with a connection of 400MBPS.

Dave,

May I suggest taking all the other machines of the network and just leave
you with the Vista machine to the router. Reboot modem and then the router
and restart your Vista machine and you will see there is either a
Residential Gateway or just a Gateway to the router. Id this is the case
then I think this is normal.

Try this and let me know what happens.

James

Hi OneDave.

Are you refering to the "Residential Gateway" icon that shows up in "My
Network"?

If not, I don't know.

If so, then what you MIGHT be seeing is an icon giving direct access to
the ROUTER, which is the "residential gateway" on your network, just as
you see icons to the other computers on the network there. The only time
I've seen this is via uPnP, but then it tends to tell you what it is the
icon points to with a bit more specificity than just "Residential Gateway"

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I investigated the "Residential Gateway"
component that shows up in My Network and found that is indeed the router,
with the router's IP address.

When I initially established the network in Vista 64, I told Vista that it
would be a home network.

One Question: Is it possible to rename the "Residential Gateway" component
to something like "Router Gateway" or whatever?
--
Thanks
Dave

[...]

Actually, you seem to have mistaken something somewhere...

I have several uPnP routers on our network and all of them have icons in the
"my network" folder, which is one of the POINTS of uPnP. When I double
click on that icon, it goes directly to the router and signs me in even. I
don't have to type anything into my browser.

As for the connection from the router to the modem... The "Residential
Gateway" icon in the Network Places is the uPnP icon to the router, as far
as my experience with having the same icon in my folder goes, anyways.

OneDave said:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I investigated the "Residential
Gateway"
component that shows up in My Network and found that is indeed the router,
with the router's IP address.

When I initially established the network in Vista 64, I told Vista that it
would be a home network.

One Question: Is it possible to rename the "Residential Gateway" component
to something like "Router Gateway" or whatever?

I haven't tried, but you can always right-click on the icon and see if
there's a RENAME item there...

Colin Barnhorst

I don't think so since that is the name of a class of devices and not a user
name for a device.