64-bit notebook crashes

scott2k5

Dear All

Problem:-
New Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop hangs (stops responding altogether -
CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing).

The O/S is Windows XP 64-bit. Processor AMD Turion 64-bit.

Crash normally happens when using Internet Explorer. Normally after using
for 15+ minutes. Rarely soon after booting.

There are no clues. Nothing logged in event logs. No blue screen.

Disabling startup programs through msconfig and disabling antivirus has no
effect. Practically no other software installed - the laptop is only a few
days old.

Drivers are all up-to-date:-

802.11b+g (Broadcom) 3.100.64.0

Realtek Audio Driver 5.10.0.5850

TI 4 in 1 Card Reader 1.0.3.6

Agere Modem Driver 2.1.53

Broadcom LAN Driver 8.27.1.0

Launch Manager v1.0.6.6a0e

Ambit Modem Driver 2.1.53.0

TouchPad Driver 8.0.10.0

ATI VGA Driver 6.14.10.6542

Please help. I am not really sure how to begin to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please repost your inquiry in the new Windows 64-bit newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Dear All
|
| Problem:-
| New Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop hangs (stops responding altogether -
| CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing).
|
| The O/S is Windows XP 64-bit. Processor AMD Turion 64-bit.
|
| Crash normally happens when using Internet Explorer. Normally after using
| for 15+ minutes. Rarely soon after booting.
|
| There are no clues. Nothing logged in event logs. No blue screen.
|
| Disabling startup programs through msconfig and disabling antivirus has no
| effect. Practically no other software installed - the laptop is only a few
| days old.
|
| Drivers are all up-to-date:-
|
| 802.11b+g (Broadcom) 3.100.64.0
|
| Realtek Audio Driver 5.10.0.5850
|
| TI 4 in 1 Card Reader 1.0.3.6
|
| Agere Modem Driver 2.1.53
|
| Broadcom LAN Driver 8.27.1.0
|
| Launch Manager v1.0.6.6a0e
|
| Ambit Modem Driver 2.1.53.0
|
| TouchPad Driver 8.0.10.0
|
| ATI VGA Driver 6.14.10.6542
|
| Please help. I am not really sure how to begin to diagnose the problem.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Scott

Head Hunter

Is there a way to lift the unit slightly above your desk/table/whatever? It
may be overheating. Even using a deck of cards under each corner/foot would
help. Just something to increase the airflow.

Try installing Firefox and seeing if you can recreate the error with it. As
I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), the error only occurs when
using IE. Intermittent problems are so much fun, aren't they? The first
step is to narrow down what circumstances lead to the error and then
change/eliminate them one at a time until they stop, then perform the same
procedure in reverse until it happens again. I'm thinking that if it occurs
with IE but not Firefox, it may point to IE (and therefore an OS problem)
rather than a hardware/driver problem. If it follows the Internet, it's more
likely to be hardware/driver. If it occurs only when opening a certain page,
maybe it's that page. If it opens only when a web page has an embedded
sound, it may be a plugin or your sound card or .... You get the picture.

scott2k5

Hi Head Hunter

That sounds like a good idea. I have read about the ventilation being a bit
suspect on these laptops.

I will try this and revert.

Regards!

Scott

scott2k5

Hi Kathea

Good ideas here. I never thought of downloading firefox.

It appears from your post that recording the addresses of crashed web pages
and analysing their content may assist.

Thank you for your valuable advice!

Regards

Scott

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Firstly, I have noticed you have posted your question in the newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general. Other guys have given you some
great suggestions for your reference.

From your description, the issue seems to be happening when you use
Internet Explorer 64 bit version for about 15 minutes. In my opinion, I
agree with Kathea's suggestions. You may try to use a third party web
browser to make a test to see if the issue continues. If the problem
persists, I suspect the issue may be most likely related to hardware device
(i.e. memory or other device drivers). If the issue only occurs on a
specific web page, I suspect it will point to the specific page that does
not support completely Internet Explorer 64 bit version.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "scott2k5" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| Subject: Re: 64-bit notebook crashes
| Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:06:28 +0000 (UTC)
|
| Hi Kathea
|
| Good ideas here. I never thought of downloading firefox.
|
| It appears from your post that recording the addresses of crashed web
pages
| and analysing their content may assist.
|
| Thank you for your valuable advice!
|
| Regards