£40 down the toilet or did I get a bargin ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

The mobo has the optional Lan Port so yes it is an onboard item. The port did light up when I connected the cable, think it was a steady green, but I'm not sure, I'll check later.
There is no Ethernet Adapter showing in the device manager.

:)

Attachments

• 2008-10-26_112256.jpg
    2008-10-26_112256.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 149

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Install MB drivers and/or look in the BIOS ... :rolleyes:

You will be "told" once you install the OS if it's a good 'un. ;)

:user:

The XP is in a sealed pack. I want to find out if it is a fake before I install. If it is a fake I want to be able to get my money back from E-bay as I do not want to run my pc with a illegal OS. if I wanted to run an illegal copy of XP thats easy. However I would not have needed to spend money on a fake cd as I already have a copy of XP.

So once more me question is can I verify the XP before I install it ?

I have installed all the drivers for this mobo from the manufacturesrs site and still am not able to use the net.I searched the net and found some info on a fourum and am now downloading some Nividia drivers from their site . I'll see if they help me.

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When you purchase a MS OS all you really purchase is the serial number. So load up your current copy of XP, enter the serial number given with your new disk and see if it activates. If it does, you probably have a legal copy and if it doesn't it's return to E-Bay time and your new copy has been unopened.

Assuming of course that the serial number is on the outside of the packaging.

And then if you want to make double sure, go My/Computer/Help/Is this copy of Windows Legal?

And Microsoft, being the wonderful people they are, will probably let you know in no uncertain terms whether your copy's a hooky one or not.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As for your ethernet connection, I know this is probably obvious but have you looked in Control Panel/Network connections?

My XP/AMD machine:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 151

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi flops thanks for info.
Can now connect to internet. Had to search for a Nividia driver as there was not one available on the ECS site, which I thought was strange but there you are. Did look in device manager before and no Ethernet adapter was showing, now there is.
I must say the onboard graphics are pretty darn good.

As to XP I'll have to wait for my new cpu to arrive as the XP is OEM and once it is on a pc I won't be able to swap it to anpther pc.

Ta again.

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can swap to another PC. I only ever buy OEM copies and I've had my one purchased version of XP on a different machine. During the activation I had to phone them up and get an activation code but it was relatively painless.

You may even get that happen if you change any major components on the system it's installed on.

Another tip is not to register, which involves giving MS your personal details, like your address. Then the next time you install, do register, enter your details and then MS usually activate you online ok :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
wizkid said:
AB,

Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure that onboard LAN is enabled?

Sorted ta see post 25.

Ta fer the info Flops. :wave: I had another good look at the Xp and it may be genuine after all. Time will tell.

:D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
As for your ethernet connection, I know this is probably obvious but have you looked in Control Panel/Network connections?

My XP/AMD machine:

attachment.php
attachment.php

wth is dot4? That sounds crazy!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
wth is dot4? That sounds crazy!

My man, the more I get to know you, the more I'm convinced you escaped from somewhere that has a large stock of long sleeved white coats.

It's an HP 7960 Printer, is all.

Next :)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
As to XP I'll have to wait for my new cpu to arrive as the XP is OEM and once it is on a pc I won't be able to swap it to anpther pc.

happywave.gif

You own the licence to it so you can swap it between any machine you like, it just means each time you swap it to a new hard drive you'll have to ring Microsoft for a new activation key..

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My man, the more I get to know you, the more I'm convinced you escaped from somewhere that has a large stock of long sleeved white coats.

It's an HP 7960 Printer, is all.

Next :)

HP would have made more sense not HPZ

That is very nice of you Flopps. I'm not that bad still one day if our paths cross you'll work that out for yourself!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah the 6100 onboard graphics is quite good, whatever RAM you have it will take between 224mb and 512Mb out of it to run the graphics .

So you can always stick another Gig in and get a slightly increased performance.