How do I get my puter to recognize the total amt of memory?

mikeyluke

Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) which
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick but
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have 4
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that it
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, thats
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount of
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

Jerry

Can we safely assume your CPU has hyperthreading and you must match memory
in #1 and #3 and then #2 and #4?

If this is true and you have memory as you stated in your message then the
first thing to do is swap 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 to see what happens to memory
count.

Also, be aware that there can be problems if the memory sticks are not
matchd as far as manufacturer and spec's are concerned.

BigJim

I run a asus p4s800 se and according to the manual if I put in 4 gig of
memory
it will report less than the 4 gig do to the Southbridge resource
allocation.
so it could be due to your chipset so check your manual.

mikeyluke

"mikeyluke" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) which
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick
but
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have 4
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that it
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, thats
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount of
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

Whoa, I kinda follow what you are saying,but I don't have a manual and
I just want to install 3 gigs. Is ASUS p4s800 a program that I should
use?

mikey

mikeyluke

Jerry said:
[...]

Yes Sir, It is hyperthreading. I will check card position. All memory
is matched . The recognization problem occured when I installed the
last card. In position 4. Do you think I have a bad card?
Is there an area in XP that I can tell my computer to recognize the
amount of RAM,like 98se?

Thanks Guys,

mikey

mikeyluke

mikeyluke said:
Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) which
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick but
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have 4
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that it
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, thats
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount of
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

OK, I cheched my BIOS and it recognizes the fact that I have 3 gigs of
RAM. I guess my problem is , how do I get XP to recognize that I have 3
gigs RAM.

If someone could help I would appreciate.

Thanks,
mikey

mikeyluke

mikeyluke said:
Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) whic
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick bu
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that i
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, that
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount o
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

Ok, my BIOS recognizes that I have 3 gigs RAM. (cool) The windows Tas
Manager says I have # gigs RAM under the performance tab marked Physica
Memory (K).(I think this is RAM memory.)So far so good. BUT, under th
system properties tab marked general, it says as follows,

Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz
3.ooGHz,2.87 GB of RAM
physical address extension

Wierd. I don't believe any of my RAM memory is being used for my vide
card because I have no integrated video memory on my motherboard. Th
video memory is totally seperate. My video card is a 256 mb ATI x700.

mike

mikeyluke

mikeyluke said:
Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) whic
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick bu
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that i
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, that
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount o
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

Ok, my BIOS recognizes that I have 3 gigs RAM. (cool) The windows Tas
Manager says I have 3 gigs RAM under the performance tab marked Physica
Memory (K).(I think this is RAM memory.)So far so good. BUT, under th
system properties tab marked general, it says as follows,

Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz
3.ooGHz,2.87 GB of RAM
physical address extension

Wierd. I don't believe any of my RAM memory is being used for my vide
card because I have no integrated video memory on my motherboard. Th
video memory is totally seperate. My video card is a 256 mb ATI x700.

mike

mikeyluke

Jerry said:
Go to www.belarc.com and download then install The Belarc Advisor. How
much
memory does it say you have?

mikeyluke Wrote:
Hello folks, I have an HP with a motherboard (ASUS PTGD1-LA) which
supports up to 4 gigs RAM. Yesterday I installed a new 1 gig stick
but
my sys only recognizes 2.87gb instead of the 3 gb it should. I have 4
dimm slots. Top to bottom is as follows,
(1) ddr sdram pc3200/400mhz 512mb oem.
(2)1gig ddr(all the same spec)The brand is CompUsa.They claim that it
is manuf. byPNY(got a great deal!)
(3)This card matches #1 and is oem,
(4)1gig ddr(identical to #2.)
So, any ideas? Everything works fine but if I paid for a gig, thats
what I should get.Why won't my system recognize the total amount of
memory?

thanks in advance,
mikey

Ok, my BIOS recognizes that I have 3 gigs RAM. (cool) The windows
Task
Manager says I have 3 gigs RAM under the performance tab marked
Physical
Memory (K).(I think this is RAM memory.)So far so good. BUT, under
the
system properties tab marked general, it says as follows,

Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz
3.ooGHz,2.87 GB of RAM
physical address extension

Wierd. I don't believe any of my RAM memory is being used for my
video
card because I have no integrated video memory on my motherboard. The
video memory is totally seperate. My video card is a 256 mb ATI x700.

mikey

Jerry, first of all, thanks for the Belarc tool!!! It said I have
2.9744 mb of RAM.

I don't know Sir, maybe I should just stop bitchin' and just live with
it. What do you think?

mikey

mikeyluke

mikeyluke said:
Jerry, first of all, thanks for the Belarc tool!!! It said I have 2.9744
mb of RAM.

I don't know Sir, maybe I should just stop bitchin' and just live with
it. What do you think?

mikey
Sorry to be a bother. Any Ideas anyone???

mikey

mikeyluke

Bob said:
Could you describe the problem, and symptoms?

mikeyluke wrote:

mikeyluke Wrote:

Sorry to be a bother. Any Ideas anyone???

mikey

Hello, anyone have any ideas?

mikey

Bob I,

I don't have any problems per se. It's just that XP doesn't recognize
the total amount of memory.

mikey

MudBug

mikeyluke said:
Bob I,

I don't have any problems per se. It's just that XP doesn't recogniz
the total amount of memory.

mikey
I could be wrong, but the missing 0.03 G out of your total 3.0 G (yo
stated it only shows 2.87G) is really there. I think the missing amoun
is being reserved for the operating system to utilize. I asked somebod
that question about a year ago and I seem to remember it bein
explained that way. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I happe
to be right, I hope that helps. LOL

mikeyluke

MudBug said:
I could be wrong, but the missing 0.03 G out of your total 3.0 G (you
stated it only shows 2.87G) is really there. I think the missing amount
is being reserved for the operating system to utilize. I asked somebody
that question about a year ago and I seem to remember it being
explained that way. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I happen
to be right, I hope that helps. LOL!

Hello MudBug!
That's what i thought at first. The problem with that reasoning is, I
am on my third mem. upgrade. I started at 1 went to 2 then on to
3.(2.87). Each time XP recognized the total amount of memory. Until the
last upgrade from 2.5 to 3.

Wierd. sys bios recognizes all of it, the Belarc tool says I have 2.9,
sys task manager says I have 3. System tab says that I have only 2.87.

Is there a setting tab somewhere in XP that forces Windows to
recognize the total amount of memory just like Windows 98?

Thanks,
mikey