36 messages "not downloaded"

JD

I access this ng via Outlook Express. Every time I open it I read at the
bottom left that there are "36 not downloaded." I have checked "Mark all
messages read when exiting a newsgroup" in Options. Yet the ng name remains
in bold, indicating unread messages. I have done Catch Up numerous times,
which changes the group name to lower case, but the next time I open the ng,
there are always "36 not downloaded." Clicking "Download next 100 headers"
does nothing.
Any idea what is causing this behavior--or how to correct it?

sandy58

I access this ng via Outlook Express. Every time I open it I read at the
bottom left that there are "36 not downloaded." I have checked "Mark all
messages read when exiting a newsgroup" in Options. Yet the ng name remains
in bold, indicating unread messages. I have done Catch Up numerous times,
which changes the group name to lower case, but the next time I open the ng,
there are always "36 not downloaded." Clicking "Download next 100 headers"
does nothing.
Any idea what is causing this behavior--or how to correct it?

"I access this ng via Outlook Express."
Why? ...if you get problems? Surely you can stick the url into your
browser & "Bookmark" it to favourites?
No more problems.

Brian A.

JD said:
I access this ng via Outlook Express. Every time I open it I read at the
bottom left that there are "36 not downloaded." I have checked "Mark all
messages read when exiting a newsgroup" in Options. Yet the ng name
remains in bold, indicating unread messages. I have done Catch Up
numerous times, which changes the group name to lower case, but the next
time I open the ng, there are always "36 not downloaded." Clicking
"Download next 100 headers" does nothing.
Any idea what is causing this behavior--or how to correct it?

It's an issue on the MS server side that's been happening in the ng's for some
time now.

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm

Buffalo

sandy58 said:
"I access this ng via Outlook Express."
Why? ...if you get problems? Surely you can stick the url into your
browser & "Bookmark" it to favourites?
No more problems.

What is the exact url to this ng?
Buffalo

Bob Lucas

I use Windows Live Mail to access this newsgroup via the news
server at msnews.microsoft.com .

The message count on my PC shows "View applied 138 messages, 0
unread, 36 not downloaded". The problem is with the server, not
your computer.

JD

Thanks Brian for the courteous reply. I appreciate knowing that it itsn't
something at my end that's causing this to happen.
Regards

JD

I, too, access the group via msnew.microsoft.com and I thank you for letting
me know the reason for the phenomenon.

JD

I've no idea what you're talking about!
I access this ng via Outlook Express. Every time I open it I read at the
bottom left that there are "36 not downloaded." I have checked "Mark all
messages read when exiting a newsgroup" in Options. Yet the ng name
remains
in bold, indicating unread messages. I have done Catch Up numerous times,
which changes the group name to lower case, but the next time I open the
ng,
there are always "36 not downloaded." Clicking "Download next 100 headers"
does nothing.
Any idea what is causing this behavior--or how to correct it?

"I access this ng via Outlook Express."
Why? ...if you get problems? Surely you can stick the url into your
browser & "Bookmark" it to favourites?
No more problems.

Unknown

I have no idea what he's talking about either. However, I recently had the
identical problem.
The only way I was able to get rid of it was to delete it as a newsgroup and
then resubscribe to the newsgroup.

Bob Lucas

The OP uses Outlook Express (which includes a perfectly competent
newsreader utility), to access this newsgroup via the NNTP
protocol.

I accept that the OP could use a browser to access Microsoft
newsgroups at -

www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support&cat=en_us_d4b69aba-0cfa-4ae7-9b86-4df168ed777d&lang=en&cr=us

However, the presentation and functionality of that interface is
very poor - so access via the Internet is vastly inferior to the
use of a dedicated newsreader program.

OK, so the NNTP news server has lost count of the messages - but
does that really matter?

shakey

I tried unsubscribing and that did not clear up the problem for me. Still
showing from 1 to 30 unread.
A reply to my post from a knowable MVP said its unfixable at user end.
SG

sandy58

The OP uses Outlook Express (which includes a perfectly competent
newsreader utility), to access this newsgroup via the NNTP
protocol.

I accept that the OP could use a browser to access Microsoft
newsgroups at -

www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=m....

However, the presentation and functionality of that interface is
very poor - so access via the Internet is vastly inferior to the
use of a dedicated newsreader program.

OK, so the NNTP news server has lost count of the messages - but
does that really matter?

"However, the presentation and functionality of that interface is
very poor - so access via the Internet is vastly inferior to the
use of a dedicated newsreader program."
If that's a fact, Bob, how come there is so many complaints about
newsreaders? Wouldn't it be easier to let the OP try a browser angle &
let him decide which is better (inferior of not) ? After all, takes
but an instant, old son. :)

sandy58

"I access this ng via Outlook Express."
Why? ...if you get problems? Surely you can stick the url into your
browser & "Bookmark" it to favourites?
No more problems.

http://groups.google.com/group/micr.../browse_thread/thread/da994899c8f713eb?hl=en#
Do you have a browser? Yes? Take this link/address/whatever & stick it
in (copy & paste) the address bar (top of browser page) This will
bring you right back to this page we are on now. That, dear OP (and
Unknown) is what I'm talking about. Do try. Good luck.

Bruce Hagen

[...]

______________________________________

Are you /really/ saying that NNTP has more problems that the Microsoft Web
interface forums? I think not.

sandy58

[...]

            MS-MVP  [Mail]
          Imperial Beach, CA

Semantics, BH. Pure choice. Potato/potahto Tomato/Tomahto.

Bruce Hagen

"sandy58" <[email protected]> wrote in message
"However, the presentation and functionality of that interface is
very poor - so access via the Internet is vastly inferior to the
use of a dedicated newsreader program."
If that's a fact, Bob, how come there is so many complaints about
newsreaders? Wouldn't it be easier to let the OP try a browser angle &
let him decide which is better (inferior of not) ? After all, takes
but an instant, old son. :)

Are you /really/ saying that NNTP has more problems that the Microsoft Web
interface forums? I think not.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

Semantics, BH. Pure choice. Potato/potahto Tomato/Tomahto.

Not semantics. The MS Communities Web interface sees a lot more problems
than msnews.microsoft.com. Broken for days while NNTP churns on. Even on a
good day, a post takes a lot longer to show up. Pure choice? No. A fact.
--

              Bruce Hagen
            MS-MVP  [Mail]

Well, you HAVE to back your favourite, BH. Understandable, old
chap. :)