£2K scrap scheme

Reaction score
Can someone please explain this to me

Does that mean I could go to a dealership (any dealership0 including one that sells second/third hand cars and trade my old 12year old Micra in and buy a car for £1999

Or does it only take into account new cars? Which in my opinion defeats the object because then I will still have several thousand pounds left to pay and as such i'm only gonna continue using my not very economical 12year old micra

Anyone fancy explaining?

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What it means is that the government wants to use your money (the taxpayers money) to support failing private businesses that are owned by foreigners. This will enable them to keep on making profits that will then be shared out amongst their shareholders. Of course they will not reduce their prices so you will still be paying high prices for their non-commercial goods and you will also have to pay more taxes also. So you will be working and paying taxes and high prices as usual except more so to enable a few rich folks to live a grand lifestyle. Keeps the cockles of your heart warm don't it.

bowdown.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll need to wait a little longer for the exact details I think, but it will only apply to new or nearly new cars afaik. Otherwise you could get a £2k car for free ;)

It's mainly to encourage people who are considering buying a new car to take the plunge, as not many people are buying one at the moment.

The theory being that giving an incentive for people to buy a car will be just enough to keep the industry ticking over for now, keeping people in jobs instead of paying out dole to the same amount anyway. That's the theory anyway, who knows if it will actually work ;)

edit : Here's some more details about the scrappage incentive:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/budget/article6147965.ece
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/22/budget-case-study-scrappage

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I thought that would be the case

Shame woud get a really nice car for 2grand aswell :(

Reaction score
I think what it means is your willing to part with your old car they will give you 2grand towards a new one.....they had that deal in Ireland a few years ago.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Damn I was hoping it wasn't just for brand new cars - but then everyone would want to make money out of it.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You have to prove you have owned the car you are parting with for 12 months or more :)

damn this is getting worse and worse then

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Some of the motoring correspondents think that the deal is not worth it. Only £1000 will come from the government and they expect the dealer to put up the other £1000.

However, at the moment a lot of dealers are giving huge discounts just to move cars out of the showrooms. Often the discounts are a lot more than £2000. You certainly won't get their huge dicount PLUS the £2000 from the government. You might get a tiny discount plus the government's £2000 and this could be less than their initial huge discount.

And as Chris says you have to prove that you have owned the old car for 12 months AND have had it taxed for that 12 months too- equivalent to it having been on the road in a driveable condition. So, you can't just get any old scrap car for £30 and use that.

They've thought of everything. :mad:

Reaction score
Yeah folks,

Over here was the same with the 12 months ownership thing but as far as i can remember the dealers didnt care how long you had. I think it all boils down to how hungry the dealers are to make a sale.....if you leave it another while things may get better for the punter. The worst is yet to come, i think, so hold onto your few quid a bit longer. The garages around where i live are chocka blok with cars.
;) Zzzzz

Reaction score
Unfortunately i'm far too honest and not the cunning to do that.

I have, It is.

Still a shame it won't benefit someone like me that is unemployed who needs a better car. More fuel efficient, lower emissions etc

Oh well

Reaction score
If you look for DEALS on new cars, it has been suggested that you CAN get a better deal WITHOUT the government incentive scheme, yes I have had a look into it and it is true.

You can’t part exchange your old car but. IE car A showroom price 6K search the net the same car 4k and you get to keep your old one then sell it on>

With the government scheme same deal but you loose the car?

Ummmm do you follow:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Our local Peugot garage has been offering 50% of some models for the last few years.

nod.gif

Ask a Question