2 Network Cards

M

Mark Lewis

Is it possible ??

I have to set-up my Directors laptop and he requires access to the internal network on 1 network card which I have done and works OK.

The problem is he wants a direct WWW access which doesn't go via our server a second network card connected straight to our ADSL Router, I've tried all the configurations I can think of but still it wont connect, It works OK if I set it up via the internal network (SBS2K)

Thanks

A

Andy

Sounds like a gateway problem or the settings within the
browser. Try setting the default gateway to the ip of the
NIC that connects to the internet.
-----Original Message-----
Is it possible ??

I have to set-up my Directors laptop and he requires
access to the internal network on 1 network card which I
have done and works OK.
The problem is he wants a direct WWW access which doesn't
go via our server a second network card connected straight
to our ADSL Router, I've tried all the configurations I
can think of but still it wont connect, It works OK if I
set it up via the internal network (SBS2K)

G

yes it is poss, chk your tcp/ip stack, you def gateway add, chk the cable , patch or crossover? chk the nic

N

Nimit Mehta

At cmd prompt type route print and check for the default
gateway. Make sure you havnt specified any gateways in
your second NIC.
-----Original Message-----
Is it possible ??

I have to set-up my Directors laptop and he requires
access to the internal network on 1 network card which I
have done and works OK.
The problem is he wants a direct WWW access which doesn't
go via our server a second network card connected straight
to our ADSL Router, I've tried all the configurations I
can think of but still it wont connect, It works OK if I
set it up via the internal network (SBS2K)

P

Phillip Windell

(Please post in "plain text" format)

Now that everyone has said it will work,...I'm going to throw a wrench into that. If his machine requires a Default Gateway to funtion properly on the companies LAN, then no it will not work. You can have only *one* Default Gateway, so you cannot have one for the LAN and a second one for the Internet link.

Now, if your LAN will work fine without the DFG then you can give one on the Nic with the DSL and it will work (at least as far as Layer3 is concerned), but now you have potential DNS issues.

A LAN, if it runs Active Directory, *insists* that all domain members use the AD/DNS for their DNS server. The AD/DNS server then uses Forwarders (the ISP's DNS) to resolve internet names. Unfortunately the provider of the DSL line expects you to use their DNS in the network configuration of the laptop. So, you will have to ignore them and make sure that the only DNS used by the Laptop is the AD/DNS. If the DSL provider users DHCP (PPPoE) to configure the laptop's interface you will have problems because they may include the DNS in the auto-config. You may workaround it by making sure the LAN nic is set as the top priority Nic in the Network Places-->Advanced-->Advanced Settings...-->[see priority list].

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Is it possible ??

I have to set-up my Directors laptop and he requires access to the internal network on 1 network card which I have done and works OK.

The problem is he wants a direct WWW access which doesn't go via our server a second network card connected straight to our ADSL Router, I've tried all the configurations I can think of but still it wont connect, It works OK if I set it up via the internal network (SBS2K)

Thanks

G

you cant tweak this with nat? ok, since its a laptop setup hardware profiles and he's gotta reboot/logon as new user, but what you wrote makes sense you can only have one tcp stack

G

makes sense only one tcp stack, although couldnt you tweak it in nat? ok, try hardware profiles worst reboot, poss logon as diff usr?

P

Phillip Windell

ric926 said:
makes sense only one tcp stack, although couldnt you tweak it in nat?
No.
There is no NAT.
NAT doesn't have anything to do with this.

Ask a Question