1406 error during silent installations under power users with SMS 2003

John Brown

Hi Everyone,

I understand that the beta is not being supported in an
enterprise environment. But I did note an error as well
as a temproary work around. Has anybody else seen this
error, and know of another work around? I do suspect it
may be our GPO interfering with the installations, but I
am still researching it.

Info:

I created a package in SMS 2003 to install the program
using administrative rights as a silent installation
(/s /v /qn)

The package was sent to a Windows XP SP2 system that has
a Workstation Security GPO applied to it. When it ran it
started the installation, but then did a rollback with
the following error in the application log from
MSIinstaller: Error Code: 1406, "Could not write value
gcasServ to key
\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. System
error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that
key, or contact your support personnel."

Workarounds:

When you run the package not as silent installation, you
have the option to click ignore when the error message
pops up, and the installation will complete successfully.

Also if a system that doesn't have the Workstation GPO
applied to it will successfully install under a power
user when installed manually

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks,

John

John Brown

Hi Everyone,

I was able to locate which GPO (Registry Key) permission
was causing the error. If in your environments the
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run permissions are change from the default (Power
Users need the right to create and delete subkeys as well
as read) you will need to provide the power user group
with the appropriate permissions to correctly install the
program.

Sorry to have bother everyone...

Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi John,

I have a similar problem on my computer i am using WinME and when tring to install eTrust Pest Patrol it gives an error message "1406 unable to write the value to the key" ,I searched in google to find the solution but fouind only for Winxp but not for WinME.

Please reply to this request if you have a solution .I would be waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
Satish(Steve).

Ron Chamberlin said:
Hi John,