1200cpu shows up as 900

Ballinlea

I have an AMD Athlon 1200 processor in my computer but it shows up as
900 in the start up screens and in the System Tools / System
Information
'Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~900 Mhz'.
I am not underclocking because I would not have the foggiest notion how
to go about it.
My motherboard is an MSI 745 Ultra
The bios is American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
My Operating System is XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build
2600
Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
Regards
smcg

DL

Perhaps some jumpers need setting to correctly identify the cpu/fsb?
Your mobo manual should give details

Richard Urban [MVP]

You have to go into the computer bios and set the CPU speed to the specified
setting. If, for instance, you have a CPU that runs at 133 mhz, but the bios
has dropped it down to the "safe" mode of 100 mhz, this will happen.

Please look at your M/B manual or your computer manual. You can also go to
the web page for your computer manufacturer and search in their support
section for directions.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Jim Macklin

AMD rates their CPU by performance and not clock cycles, so
it is possible that 900 is the correct clock speed and 1200
is the Intel equivalent rating.

some support

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| You have to go into the computer bios and set the CPU
speed to the specified
| setting. If, for instance, you have a CPU that runs at 133
mhz, but the bios
| has dropped it down to the "safe" mode of 100 mhz, this
will happen.

| Please look at your M/B manual or your computer manual.
You can also go to
| the web page for your computer manufacturer and search in
their support
| section for directions.
|
| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
| Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|
| Quote from: George Ankner
| "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
knew!"

message

| > I have an AMD Athlon 1200 processor in my computer but
it shows up as
| > 900 in the start up screens and in the System Tools /
System
| > Information
| > 'Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
~900 Mhz'.
| > I am not underclocking because I would not have the
foggiest notion how
| > to go about it.
| > My motherboard is an MSI 745 Ultra
| > The bios is American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
| > My Operating System is XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service
Pack 2 Build
| > 2600
| > Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
| > Regards
| > smcg
| >

| > --
| > Ballinlea

Bob Willard

Ballinlea said:
I have an AMD Athlon 1200 processor in my computer but it shows up as
900 in the start up screens and in the System Tools / System
Information
'Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~900 Mhz'.
I am not underclocking because I would not have the foggiest notion how
to go about it.
My motherboard is an MSI 745 Ultra
The bios is American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
My Operating System is XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build
2600
Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
Regards
smcg

In the numbering scheme once used by AMD for Athlon CPUs, that number is
*not* the CPU frequency; it is an approximation to the CPU frequency that
an Intel CPU must use to have the same performance as that Athlon CPU.

E.g., my Athlon 1700 runs at 1460 MHz; my Athlon 2800 runs at 2000 MHz.
I suspect that your Athlon 1200 runs at 900 MHz, so nothing is wrong.

Leythos

I have an AMD Athlon 1200 processor in my computer but it shows up as
900 in the start up screens and in the System Tools / System
Information
'Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~900 Mhz'.
I am not underclocking because I would not have the foggiest notion how
to go about it.
My motherboard is an MSI 745 Ultra
The bios is American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
My Operating System is XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build
2600
Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
Regards

Yea, go to the AMD site and check to see what the AMD Athlon 1200
processor runs at. AMD decided it needed more market share a long time
ago and that rating CPU's in CPU MHZ was not doing them any favors as
they CPU's clock at a slower Mhz compared to Intel's. AMD believes their
CPU's process the same information faster-per-clock than Intel's, so
they tell you that a XXX CPU Mhz system actually performs as a YYYY Mhz
system so that you can get a "fair" comparison based on Intel processing
performance.

Taken from a post on a board about the 1200:
If you run a 266 FSB processor with a 200 MHz FSB (2*100), you get (1200
*200/266 = 902 Mhz for the CPU speed, which is the real speed). I have
not got a KT7A on hand to check, but changing the CPU FSB Plus to 33 MHz
in the Softmenu III in the CMO Setup should fix the problem. The CPU
FSB/PCI Clock should remain at 100/33 Mhz. The FSB then becomes 100+33
MHz =133 MHz (or 2*133 =266 between the Northbridge and the processor)
if I understand the user manual (and everything) correctly (I might not
have it right). Then divide the correct CPU speed by 133 to determine
the correct multiplier setting = 1200/133 = 9.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Jim said:
AMD rates their CPU by performance and not clock cycles, so
it is possible that 900 is the correct clock speed and 1200
is the Intel equivalent rating.

Sorry, Jim, but in this instance that is not correct. They started doing
that with the XP series and there was never an Athlon XP 1200! The vanilla
Athlons (codenamed 'Thunderbird', the XPs were known as 'Thoroughbred') did
exactly what it said on the tin. The OP has a 1.2GHz Tbird, therefore it
should be running at 1.2GHz. ;o)

This is all to do with jumper settings. I would hazard a guess that he has
either 100 or 133MHz RAM in which case the multiplier should be set at
either 12 or 9 respectively.

Leythos

Sorry, Jim, but in this instance that is not correct. They started doing
that with the XP series and there was never an Athlon XP 1200! The vanilla
Athlons (codenamed 'Thunderbird', the XPs were known as 'Thoroughbred') did
exactly what it said on the tin. The OP has a 1.2GHz Tbird, therefore it
should be running at 1.2GHz. ;o)

This is all to do with jumper settings. I would hazard a guess that he has
either 100 or 133MHz RAM in which case the multiplier should be set at
either 12 or 9 respectively.

According to the information I posted, the 1200 runs at 900 mhz, which
is from a number of Athlon users running 1200 chips.

Richard Urban [MVP]

Jim,

The system I built for my younger son has an Athlon 1200. It's clock speed
at 133/266 bus speed with a 9X multiplier is 1.2 gig. 133x9.5=1197 MHz

If the Asus M/B (A7v133) faults for whatever reason, the bios WILL drop the
bus speed down to 100/200 and the corresponding CPU speed IS 900 MHz at the
same multiplier. 100x9=900 MHz. This has happened because my grandson has
turned off the computer during it's post. The next time the computer starts
the CPU is running at 900 MHz until my son goes into the bios and changes
the FSB back to 133/266.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Richard Urban [MVP]

The Athlon Thunderbird 1200 and the 1400 were the last AMD processors that
ran at their advertised speeds, i.e.: before they started the "equal to"
Intel speed campaign.

They were, and still are, damn good processors. I had overclocked mine to an
honest 1800 MHz and ran it that way before I turned the processor and M/B
over to my son.

He runs it at 1200 MHz.