downloaded file". After closing this the cpu is
responsive to the desired task for several minutes before
locking up. In checking the task manager, the cpu is at
100% usage, with no open applications. The system may then
shut down itself with the message "Windows Explorer
shutdown current activity". this is Win XP home

G

Gerry Cornell

I suggest you update your virus definitions and run a full anti-virus scan. Also you download Adaware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove parasites.

Look at processes in Task Manager. It is normal to have a number of Svchost.exe process entries appearing in Task Manager. For the process generating the high usage how is the User described? Next whilst Task Manager is showing high usage change from the Process Tab to the Application Tab. Then select each running Application in turn, right click and select "Go to Process" and see if you can identify the application causing the high usage.

Next select Start, Administrative Tools, Services. Compare the list of services with those shown as Started and for each in turn stop the service and observe the effect. If the CPU usage in Task Manager continues or something stops working restart the service. When you have found the likely cause i.e. the CPU usage stops then post details of what you have found.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

Same happened to me - had a very rough 2 weeks! It is a Trojan Horse that Norton, Adaware & Spybot didn't pick up. I'm not a technie but go to Start-Run-msconfig-Services-click on heading Service to put in alphabetical order. I don't know if it can attach itself to any other but mine had attached itself to Terminal Services-if it isn't this one disable so as to isolate whatever (make sure you have Plug & Play, Remote Procedure (2 of them) & System Restore enabled at all times (4 in total). I'll elaborate how to isolate if necessary but it means rebooting each time so it is laborious. (Quick fix is to End Process of offending svchost but this will only be efficient until you reboot whenever and you have to End Process of offending svchost each time). Right click on My Computer to Manage-Services & Applications-Services-under name double click on Services-make sure offending file (in my case Terminal Services) is disabled. Reboot-open Windows Task Manager and svchost shouldn't be using cpu and CPU Usage should not hit and remain at 100%. Hope this helps. David

Ask a Question