ZoneAlarm5 and WXP SP2 Problem w/IE6

~ FreeSpirit ~

I took someone's advice on one of these MS NGS and removed ZoneAlarm 5 from
my PC/w WXP-homeSP2 and the IE problems ceased. I did have the XP firewall
disabled since I liked ZoneAlarm better. This seems to be a known problem
with WXP SP2 & ZoneAlarm5.

BTW, these are the anti-scumware programs we have on this PC. None of them
found anything - Some just innoculate against infestations.

Spybot
Adware
Norton AV & WinDr.
StartupInspector
SpywareBlaster
BHODeamon
CodeStuffStarter
HijackThis
CWShredder
ZoneAlarm <--- removed.

No one can say we're not "trying" to keep this PC secure.

FS~

Ted Zieglar

"This seems to be a known problem with WXP SP2 & ZoneAlarm5."

My computer works great with Zone Alarm 5 and Service Pack 2. Never had a
problem.

Ted Zieglar

Frank

Free Spirit opined:
I took someone's advice on one of these MS NGS and removed ZoneAlarm 5 from
my PC/w WXP-homeSP2 and the IE problems ceased. I did have the XP firewall
disabled since I liked ZoneAlarm better. This seems to be a known problem
with WXP SP2 & ZoneAlarm5.

BTW, these are the anti-scumware programs we have on this PC. None of them
found anything - Some just innoculate against infestations.

Spybot
Adware
Norton AV & WinDr.
StartupInspector
SpywareBlaster
BHODeamon
CodeStuffStarter
HijackThis
CWShredder
ZoneAlarm <--- removed.

No one can say we're not "trying" to keep this PC secure.

I have used Zone Alarm with XP, SP1 and SP2 with no
problems. You may want to visit the Zone Alarm site
and follow their instructions on uninstalling plus
deleting a number of files (approx 10) to eleminate
all traces of ZA. Then download a complete install.
Should work fine as this has been the way I have done
it and so far no problems.

All the best-----Fank

peter

Did you solve your "start group" problem??
ZA ver 5.5.062.004 works flawlessly under XP SP2.
Might I suggest that you have too many "anti spyware" crap running at the same
time.
PC World tested a quite a few and found that you basically needed only
2...Spybot and Lavasofts Adaware.
With ZoneAlarm active and carefull use of email and IE6 very little should get
thru.
You should set your anti virus to scan all email before opening.
The XP firewall is not that great it only stops incoming...ZA stops incoming and
outgoing and it will ask your permission first.
You seem to be really concerned about security issues....why not buy yourself a
router with a build in firewall.
Do you have a specific problem with your system that you need so many
scumdetectors??
peter

~ FreeSpirit ~

Ted Zieglar said:
"This seems to be a known problem with WXP SP2 & ZoneAlarm5."

My computer works great with Zone Alarm 5 and Service Pack 2. Never had a
problem.
=========================
Neither did I until I installed SP2. I've used ZA for several years on both
W98SE and XP-home/SP1. Do you think I should shut off W firewall and try
installing ZA5 again?

Others must also be having problems because it was on one of these NGs.
When I removed ZA5 the problem stopped immediately.

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Frank said:
Free Spirit opined: FS~
==========

I have used Zone Alarm with XP, SP1 and SP2 with no
problems. You may want to visit the Zone Alarm site
and follow their instructions on uninstalling plus
deleting a number of files (approx 10) to eleminate
all traces of ZA. Then download a complete install.
Should work fine as this has been the way I have done
it and so far no problems.

All the best-----Fank
==========
OK, I'll try this. I'll check out their site. As far as I know I removed
everything from ZA from my PC. I didn't go into the registry though.

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

peter said:
Did you solve your "start group" problem??
ZA ver 5.5.062.004 works flawlessly under XP SP2.
Might I suggest that you have too many "anti spyware" crap running at the
same time.

** It doesn't all run at the same time. Only "StartUpMonitor" runs all the
time. Don't you know what these things are? You have to update them and
run them yourself - which I do, about twice a month.
PC World tested a quite a few and found that you basically needed only
2...Spybot and Lavasofts Adaware.

** I have them. They're useless for browser hijackers (as I found out last
year) and they don't stop malware from executing like SUM does. SUM asks
when something tries to execute itself and run. It can't unless SUM allows
it to. Hijack this doesn't run until I run it to see if I have another
browser parasite - I had one of those already on the old PC. BEHOD, when
run, tells me what's running on my browser - INCLUDING any parasites or
hijackers that snuck themselves in.... Spyware Blaster PREVENTS known
spy/ad and other scumware from getting onboard to start with. None of these
alone does it all. Most are not running all the time.
With ZoneAlarm active and carefull use of email and IE6 very little should
get thru.
You should set your anti virus to scan all email before opening.

** It is set for that, plus my ISP scans all incoming mail. Viruses have
not been that big a problem. Browser hijackers and assorted Adware were our
biggest problems in the past few years. Spybot and Adaware didn't see them
all.
The XP firewall is not that great it only stops incoming...ZA stops
incoming and outgoing and it will ask your permission first.
You seem to be really concerned about security issues....why not buy
yourself a router with a build in firewall.

** I am concerned about security. Our older PC running W98SE was always
infected with something although we had ZA, Spybot and Adaware on it and
updated and ran them at least twice a month. Several times we had to
reformat and reinstall the entire OS. HiJackThis found 3 different browser
parasites trying to run at the same time making IE all but useless on that
older PC. When you have as much software on a PC as I do you know the
nightmare a reformat-reinstall of the OS can be. It's several days before
you're all reloaded and back to normal.
Do you have a specific problem with your system that you need so many
scumdetectors??

** We did on the older W98SE HP computer, yes. Browser hijackers and
adware were the biggest problem. Spybot and Adaware did not get them all.
They're of no use for BHJ's. When I bought *this* PC 18 months ago I got on
several NGs asking how to protect it and took the advice I was given. So
far not one hijacker or scumware has been found. :)

FS~

Ted Zieglar

You have only yourself to thank for allowing spyware (in its many forms) to
get on your computer. It doesn't get there by itself.

The finest software in the world will not protect you if you haven't adopted
safe computing practices.

Once spyware gets on your computer it can be notoriously difficult to
remove, so don't expect software to cure all your problems.

Ted Zieglar

peter

So on that note and remembering what TED said.........
All of these spyware detect programs as well as Anti Virus needs to be updated
frequently.This also holds true for ZA...maybe the version you were using did
have a problem with SP2 but the newer version does not.
As for getting browser hijackers/malware/etc...............its like sex
...........if you dont practise safe sex you can catch anything.
One must be carefull about which websites to allow onto their screen and this is
especially true of if you download music/video/games thru one of these "sharing"
services.Or if you open every email that has your name on it.I use a program
called "mailwasher" that downloads just the headers and I decide which one to
download from the mail server and which ones to return to sender as if I did not
exist.There are a few reputable sharing services out there but very few.The next
thing to watch for is clicking of links on websites....its like leaving your
front door wide open.
I am not bragging or anything but I have had a computer for approx 15 years now
and in all that time only 2 virus,never a hijack,lots of adware and
trackers.With a few common sense precautions anyone can reduce their chances of
infection/hijacking/etc
practise safe hex
peter

~ FreeSpirit ~

Ted Zieglar said:
You have only yourself to thank for allowing spyware (in its many forms)
to get on your computer. It doesn't get there by itself.

** I didn't download anything "unknown," nor do I go to porn or warez
websites so where did it come from? I've been online since 1997 so am not a
net newbie. Cookies are disabled and I've had AV protection from day one.
I never open anything that comes in my email - PERIOD! I don't use mIRC or
download illegal software from the P2P community. I have none of those
instant message programs on my PC such as ICQ.
The finest software in the world will not protect you if you haven't
adopted safe computing practices.

** I know about safe computing but the scumbags out there are getting
smarter about getting around just about everything. With all the "safety
software" I now have this PC hasn't gotten anything - so far.
Once spyware gets on your computer it can be notoriously difficult to
remove, so don't expect software to cure all your problems.

** No one expects ANYTHING to cure ALL PROBLEMS that's why I have all these
anti-scumware programs on all the PCs now.

FS~
===========================

~ FreeSpirit ~

peter said:
So on that note and remembering what TED said.........
All of these spyware detect programs as well as Anti Virus needs to be
updated frequently.

# Right. I do it twice a month unless I see that a new update has come out.

This also holds true for ZA...maybe the version you were using did
have a problem with SP2 but the newer version does not.

## It was version 5 something. Since uninstalling ZA5 I have had no problems
with IE6. I got this from another NG here and tried unstalling ZA5 - no
problems since.

Are you using Zone Alarm 5.5? IF so, it has a nasty habit of shutting
down the internet connection. At present there is no fix or what to shut
function off."
As for getting browser hijackers/malware/etc...............its like sex
..........if you dont practise safe sex you can catch anything.
One must be carefull about which websites to allow onto their screen and
this is especially true of if you download music/video/games thru one of
these "sharing" services.

## Please see my post above regarding websites and P2P.....

Or if you open every email that has your name on it.I use a program
called "mailwasher" that downloads just the headers and I decide which one
to download from the mail server and which ones to return to sender as if
I did not exist.There are a few reputable sharing services out there but
very few.The next thing to watch for is clicking of links on
websites....its like leaving your front door wide open.

## Yes, I heard about this.... how then does one go to the link (next site)
without clicking on it?
I am not bragging or anything but I have had a computer for approx 15
years now and in all that time only 2 virus,

## My ISP or Norton catches them coming in in my e-mail. Always from
unknown people. None have infected any of my PCs since 1996/97.

never a hijack,

## Three of these s.o.b's got on my last PC running W98SE. We couldn't
remove them and together they made IE unusable. And 2 were porn sites no
less!!! I don't remember the 3rd. In the end we did a reformat and
reinstalled the OS to clean them out. I now have all kinds of protection on
that old PC and so far, so good. This PC doesn't seem as prone to get all
that crap - but more anti-scumware programs are on this one.

lots of adware and
trackers.With a few common sense precautions anyone can reduce their
chances of infection/hijacking/etc
practise safe hex
peter

## Usenet has NGs that are very helpful where these things are concerned.
:) Alt.comp.freeware directed us to the best freeware out there for PC
protection.

FS~
Pricelessware: (FREE SOFTWARE)
http://www.pricelessware.org
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org

peter

I love freeware.......ZA is free/adaware is free/spybot is free/AVG anti virus
is free and so are a lot more.
On a reputable website you most likely will have no problems with
links........its those not so reputable sites that tend to have pop ups with
very fine print that basically says click this and it will install that.
peter